GDT: Knights at the WJC

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If you have the Canada game recording make sure to watch the second period powerplay. Glass had an incredible shift. At least ten passes and always on the tape.

Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Glass is just next level IQ. Reminds me of a faster, center version of Mark Stone.

He doesn’t have the takeaway skills of Stone, but when the puck is on his stick...it’s the right play every time.

This guy has first line center all over him. Only thing I see stopping him is himself. Not giving it all every shift like his coach said.

Reactions: BattleBorn

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Glass is just next level IQ. Reminds me of a faster, center version of Mark Stone.

He doesn’t have the takeaway skills of Stone, but when the puck is on his stick...it’s the right play every time.

This guy has first line center all over him. Only thing I see stopping him is himself. Not giving it all every shift like his coach said.

I think that's why he's more likely a 2nd line center on a good team. He's not the defender that Karlsson is, but he has the IQ and pass first mentality of Stastny. That all being said, he sure looks likely to be our 3rd line center until a slot opens up.

I'm further convinced Brannstrom is coming up in January. I think GMGM just didn't want to activate the full first year of his deal so had to wait until half the season was up. I don't think the 10 game trial is even a consideration. They just didn't want to have to send him up and down to make sure he didn't get to 40 games. I think Merrill is going to be put on waivers soon enough unless someone gets a long term injury.

Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Elvenes is the real deal. I need to watch him closely when the games tighten up to see how he competes, and his positioning, but the talent is there.

Stole the puck, rushed up the ice by himself, and snapped a wrister cleanly past the goalie at the hash mark when the goalie knew he was shooting.

And that cross ice feed on the PP was even nicer.

Boom or bust prospect who seems to be trending towards the former, not the latter.

Crazy to think just last year he was a 5th rounder. Scouts must’ve seriously doubted something in his game. I just don’t see what it is yet...

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
All these guys lets wait and see how they play against better competition. These goalies they are facing look very weak to me and the defense is giving up way too much time and space.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
All these guys lets wait and see how they play against better competition. These goalies they are facing look very weak to me and the defense is giving up way too much time and space.
Well, Sweden has gone up against Finland, who has a really good goalie & a good defense. Canada & Russia have only gone up against Denmark & Switzerland, though. Denmark... Well, Rondbjerg isn't in a favorable position to show what he's got.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Elvenes with the Primary assist on SWE OT winner.

Also that game had no right going to OT lol 4-2 go to have dinner and come back and it's in OT.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Can someone tell me if Gallant is the kind of coach who will give Brannstrom an opportunity to succeed once he is in the NHL, or if he is the type of coach who will play him in a limited role without power play time?

How has he treated other young players (especially dmen) when they enter the NHL?

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
Can someone tell me if Gallant is the kind of coach who will give Brannstrom an opportunity to succeed once he is in the NHL, or if he is the type of coach who will play him in a limited role without power play time?

How has he treated other young players (especially dmen) when they enter the NHL?
Gallant will play anyone who is playing good. Brannstrom not being on the team is all on GMGM. McPhee doesn’t think teenagers should play in the nhl. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Reactions: seadawg

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Both Tuch and Theodore quickly became regulars last season based on their solid play. Karlsson was quickly moved to 1C based on his play. Gallant is a coach who will allow you to earn ice time. The only thing that generally stands in the way is contract status... McPhee doesn't like to commit to an AHLer beyond the 9 game limit.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hague is making a pretty good argument for why he should be the one called up, for what it's worth.

But for now I just watch the current power play and softly weep.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Hague is making a pretty good argument for why he should be the one called up, for what it's worth.

But for now I just watch the current power play and softly weep.

Hague and Bischoff should have been given fill-in stints while Schmidt was on vacation. No way they come up at this juncture.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hague and Bischoff should have been given fill-in stints while Schmidt was on vacation. No way they come up at this juncture.

and Whitecloud. He's passed Bischoff on the depth chart IMO. The less Whitecloud and Bischoff play this year, the longer they can be sent down without having to go through waivers.

Hague and Brannstrom are a different story though. If they're on the team, they're there to stay, and to help the team win.

Reactions: Knightmare

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
and Whitecloud. He's passed Bischoff on the depth chart IMO. The less Whitecloud and Bischoff play this year, the longer they can be sent down without having to go through waivers.

Hague and Brannstrom are a different story though. If they're on the team, they're there to stay, and to help the team win.
Totally agree. While I am of course on the “Brannwagon”, I’ve been pretty high on Hague for a while. I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about him. I remember during preseason Patches compared Hague to Chris Pronger.

Bransstrom of course has impressive numbers for the wolves, but Hague has more goals and Bransstrom is a -5 while Hague is a +21. Either way, I’m excited to have them both in our lineup, whenever that may be.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Brannstrom is ready. He's been ready IMO, but the kid is going to need the NHL challenge here soon.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Both Tuch and Theodore quickly became regulars last season based on their solid play. Karlsson was quickly moved to 1C based on his play. Gallant is a coach who will allow you to earn ice time. The only thing that generally stands in the way is contract status... McPhee doesn't like to commit to an AHLer beyond the 9 game limit.

I don't think the 9 game limit matters with him any longer, now the 40-game rule comes into play. Once the WJC ends the team will have little reason to hold off because it won't count as a full-year towards his arb/free agency years and there is almost zero chance he doesn't stay with the team at least half of next season. So to my reading of the rules, there is really no reason not to call him up unless the GM is worried about a guy like Merrill getting claimed off waivers and feeling like he's lost something of value if it happened. Just waive Merill, hope someone picks up his contract, but if not bury him in the minors until the trade deadline and then you can call him back up if needed for the stretch run and playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad