Confirmed with Link: Kleven signed to ELC. Welcome aboard the K-Train

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I really liked Sutton and did not like his disappearance of the team.

He added huge size and physicality to the D. I have always liked having big agile bruisers on D as long as they were not defensive liabilities. But I still want my policeman as a 4th line F.
He was a head cracking hip checking monster. Loved him out there. Keep your head UP.

I thought the hit was not dirty at all; nor was Chara's hit on the Montreal forward; nor was Gryba's hit on Eller.
The Chara hit on the Montreal nerd where he hit him into the stantion was....borderline. In that Chara was a smart motherf***er, he knew what he was doing and that's pretty predatory. Still awesome though, but if it was Alfie he did that to, we'd all be calling 911 too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He was a head cracking hip checking monster. Loved him out there. Keep your head UP.

The Chara hit on the Montreal nerd where he hit him into the stantion was....borderline. In that Chara was a smart motherf***er, he knew what he was doing and that's pretty predatory. Still awesome though, but if it was Alfie he did that to, we'd all be calling 911 too.
I don't think Chara knew the Montreal F would hit his head on the stanchion; it was unfortunate but not on purpose. The league changed the design of the stanchions at that position near the bench because of it.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I feel like Phaneuf is a pipe dream.

Phaneuf came into the NHL putting up 49,50, and 60 points including 20 goals.

If kleven put up half those numbers we would be ecstatic.

I really don't get the Phaneuf comparison. To me, the 10-30 points guys like Sutton and Commodore put up regularly in a full season is a heck of a lot more along the lines of expectations from kleven.

Expecting a guy who could be top 10 in Norris votes in prime years like with Phaneuf seems extremely unrealistic.

I see Sutton as his floor. Commode Odour got a hefty raise out of some crazy performances in CGY that disappeared as soon as he got a fat contract.

Kleven is more skilled, has a better, more accurate shot, and skates much better.

Phaneuf is Boo Boo's pipe dream. But the Sens brass have reasons to be optimistic, Kleven's a potential top-4 physical D who can hit, skate and shoot - someone the Sens haven't had forever. Chara's strides and reach helped him keep up with faster skaters, but he wasn't a good a skater. Volchenkov didn't have the shot, but was also physically punishing with his checks and ate shots from the point for supper.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think Chara knew the Montreal F would hit his head on the stanchion; it was unfortunate but not on purpose. The league changed the design of the stanchions at that position near the bench because of it.
I think he knew good and well, but then, who really knows. Chara was a nasty piece of business when you pissed him off. Which was not a good look for your health if you did (re: McCabe, Bryan).

Look how scared that little interviewer is. He hadn't slept in days preparing to ask that question and he looks ROUGH.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think he knew good and well, but then, who really knows. Chara was a nasty piece of business when you pissed him off. Which was not a good look for your health if you did (re: McCabe, Bryan).

Look how scared that little interviewer is. He hadn't slept in days preparing to ask that question and he looks ROUGH.
Didn’t Pacioretty and him have a history before the game and Chara decided he’d settle it by tring to legally murder Pacioretty to make sure Patches and everyone in Montreal knew who the boss was

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Didn’t Pacioretty and him have a history before the game and Chara decided he’d settle it by tring to legally murder Pacioretty to make sure Patches and everyone in Montreal knew who the boss was
No to the murder accusation!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I believe they did, yes.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That Phaneuf comparison is very off the mark. He is no Dion Phaneuf in his prime.
Not sure you know what he’ll be in his prime, but I’m pretty sure he was referring to the hitting and big shot. They certainly made that to be the case when it was brought up last game.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Honestly I have no clue how this one will go.

Does he go JBD route plays games this year and then up and down for a couple seasons in his path for development?

Does he keep riding the adrenaline and makes minimal mistakes which allows him to stay in the line up and falls in the next coaches good books?

Does anyone have examples of players with Kleven's style 6'4 smooth skating agitator breaking into the NHL at 21 straight from college/junior?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure you know what he’ll be in his prime, but I’m pretty sure he was referring to the hitting and big shot. They certainly made that to be the case when it was brought up last game.
I think the suggestion that he might become a player like Bieksa is more likely than Phaneuf as Kleven has not demonstrated he can score like Phaneuf. If Kleven does turn out to be like Bieksa, that would be a VG outcome.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it was on the Coming in Hot podcast, but they were talking about the impact big physical guys can have and brought up Arber Xhekaj,

Kleven is more skilled, albeit not as big and likely not as intimidating a fighter but if he comes in and plays a physical brand of hockey he could make an impression.

Reactions: Cosmix

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
I think the suggestion that he might become a player like Bieksa is more likely than Phaneuf as Kleven has not demonstrated he can score like Phaneuf. If Kleven does turn out to be like Bieksa, that would be a VG outcome.
Klevin developed his shot only recently. He worked on it anchoring the ND pp and there’s still lots of room for development. I would say Phaneuf lis not a bad ceiling for comparison

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It was a good clean hit that turned bad because of where it was on the ice & in fact, they changed the glass there because of it in every rink. Nothing more than that Chara is a great guy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Klevin developed his shot only recently. He worked on it anchoring the ND pp and there’s still lots of room for development. I would say Phaneuf lis not a bad ceiling for comparison
No he didn’t. His shot was massive since he was a kid.

I think he was just buried behind other defenders on the PP until last year, he’s always been known for his slapped.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
No he didn’t. His shot was massive since he was a kid.

I think he was just buried behind other defenders on the PP until last year, he’s always been known for his slapped.
I know he is a naturally gifted hard shooter. That not what I meant when I said he developed it there. I meant he learned to get it through traffic and pick corners more. Make it much more of a threat. Thats not me saying that either. Some NCAA scout was on LockedOn podcast talking about that

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Will be very excited to see him suit up and get started. Just to see how he gets around out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad