Klefgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This should be its own thread as the Hall-Larsson thread is exploding right now with this sidebar revelation and will hit 1K posts again.

So lets post on it here.

Klef quoted in a Swedish publication that Hall doesn't play as well against hard teams and does best against "inferior teams" Not verbatim, but that's the gist of it.

I thank poster "Lagu" for this translated link from the other thread;

http://oilonwhyte.com/2016/07/31/edmonton-oilers-oscar-klefbom-talks-hall-larsson-trade-recovery/

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Everyone does better against ******** teams, it's kind of common sense.

The interesting thing is Klefbom thinking there are "inferior" teams. I frankly can't digest that comment.

A lot of arrogance and egoism in Klefs comments as well. For a player that's hardly even played in the league he sure seems full of himself.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Love the title!

Anyhow, I don't have a big problem with this, however I actually hope some kind of clarification or statement (apology) will be coming from Klefbom in the next couple of days.

Edit: if not I suggest Klefbom keeps his head up when EDM meets NJ...

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Holy hyperbole Replacement! :eek:

"Klefgate". You've gone too far this time.

And your hangup on "inferior" is ridiculous, he never said anything about anyone being inferior to the Oilers.

I speak the language; he was clearly talking about the weaker teams in the league generally speaking, and that Hall usually only played really well against those rather than the best teams in the league.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hopefully he plays as good as he talks this year.

At least he has verbal swagger. Along with Yak this could be a trash talkin duo.:naughty:

Lets see it on the ice and a demonstration of other clubs being inferior and Klef playing best against "hard" teams. One of which ironically will be the NJ Devils who haven't had this much impetus to whack the Oilers since the Mickey Mouse comment.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

And your hangup on "inferior" is ridiculous, he never said anything about anyone being inferior to the Oilers.

I speak the language; he was clearly talking about the weaker teams in the league generally speaking, and that Hall usually only played really well against those rather than the best teams in the league.

Which isn't even true last year, and how can someone make that claim that wasn't even traveling with the team for majority of the season?

Maybe it's taken out of context and who really cares.

Klefbom has a huge role to fill this year, let's see if he can do it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Everyone does better against ******** teams, it's kind of common sense.
Except Hall it would seem.

Except the actual facts don't support it:
Hall last season:
Playoff Teams Total: 42 games- 17 goals and 35 points
Non-Playoff Teams Total: 40 games- 9 goals and 30 points

So both you and Kelfbom are wrong. So how aren't you bashing, if you resort to untruths?

These comments say much more about klefboms character than they do about halls. I somehow doubt the group think on this board will see it that way though.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Which isn't even true last year, and how can someone make that claim that wasn't even traveling with the team for majority of the season?

Maybe it's taken out of context and who really cares.

Klefbom has a huge role to fill this year, let's see if he can do it.

I'm not arguing whether it's true, I just feel obliged to inform this board of what Klefbom actually said when he's being chastised for saying something he, in fact, did not say.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Love the title!

Anyhow, I don't have a big problem with this, however I actually hope some kind of clarification or statement (apology) will be coming from Klefbom in the next couple of days.

Edit: if not I suggest Klefbom keeps his head up when EDM meets NJ...

What's hall gonna do? He Might exchange a couple of words but ultimately he will just pout and skate back to the bench.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

heh,

Inferior was the direct translated word used in multiple translations I've seen thus far.

I don't speak Swedish and have to rely on other sources.

That said several of the comments are troublesome and picture perfect illustration of the things said in Europe don't stay in Europe type thing. You'd think players of a team with Yakupov on it would realize this by now. I'm resigned that Yak is a bit of a headcase. I expect better from Klefbom.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hopefully he plays as good as he talks this year.

well, the only good thing about a comment like he made is that it is putting the onus on himself. If you talk that big then you look like a schmuck if you are the one playing bad against the tough teams.

I think what he said was a reaction to some of the negative stuff written out there about the trade. It's true that a lot of that was over the top, calling it a fireable offense to Chia. Klef's coming to the defense of Larsson and Chia, and part of that is saying that it's not like we traded Jamie Benn for him.

I still think you just don't say that. You can defend the trade by just pointing out how tough the market was for top pairing D, and you can point out great stats Larsson has.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The interesting thing is Klefbom thinking there are "inferior" teams. I frankly can't digest that comment.

A lot of arrogance and egoism in Klefs comments as well. For a player that's hardly even played in the league he sure seems full of himself.
I wouldn't say that was what he meant. In Swedish, to me, it is clear he is talking about tougher opposition vs weaker opposition which I would call inferior. Basically LAK vs Tampa (;))

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Hey! Another thread to throw an Oiler under the bus! We sure need one of those!!

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
heh,

Inferior was the direct translated word used in multiple translations I've seen thus far.

That said several of the comments are troublesome and picture perfect illustration of the things said in Europe don't stay in Europe type thing. You'd think players of a team with Yakupov on it would realize this by now. I'm resigned that Yak is a bit of a headcase. I expect better from Klefbom.

I don't know which comments that are troublesome other than maybe throwing Hallsy under the bus a bit, though he did say he was the best player on the team.

The stuff about McDavid was just something that people said that cheered him up during a pretty difficult time for him.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Before picking apart every word and making character assumptions, keep in mind that this was a translated interview. The translated word "inferior" may not have the same context when used in Swedish.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't think this needs its own thread dispite how juicy it is.

Its worth some gibber jabber cause its the slow part of summer for hockey but I am sure its all going to end up with a non-committal type retraction and Klefbom getting some words behind closed doors on how to properly deal with the media.

This needs to be downplayed as quickly and quietly as possible for the sake of the Oilers and I highly doubt its anything more than a minor blonde moment from the Sweed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know which comments that are troublesome other than maybe throwing Hallsy under the bus a bit, though he did say he was the best player on the team.

The stuff about McDavid was just something that people said that cheered him up during a pretty difficult time for him.

I don't have time now but others are even posting here and elsewhere about what gibberish Klef's notion is that Hall plays worse against harder teams. This is not backed by anything other than Klefs strange observation and statement.

Next, the comments about the team missing his play and Klefs apparent view on how much he means to the team, and stating that is odd at best. Its as if he felt the team would be winning the same games with him in the lineup.

Whichever semantic you want to put on it referring to other clubs as "inferior" or worse, from an Edmonton Oilers is one of the stupidest things I've heard an Oiler state.

The whole interview smacks of the "what could possibly be gained from these comments" reaction thus far.

Klef just made his bed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Before picking apart every word and making character assumptions, keep in mind that this was a translated interview. The translated word "inferior" may not have the same context when used in Swedish.

Play semantics. I would gather it means some nature of worse. Which for a player on a team with 4 #1 picks and that finished 29 place is an indescribably silly comment to make.

Although I'm sure its going to be good banter for opponents.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hey! Another thread to throw an Oiler under the bus! We sure need one of those!!

Well, Klefbom did sort of throw himself under the bus here.
I don't think it's fair for him to single Hall out as not playing as well against better competition when the entire team failed against better competition.

For a guy who has seen IR just as much as he's seen the ice in his young career, he should show a little more humility. A little disappointed in Klef if indeed these comments weren't lost in translation. I appreciate candidness in general (Ovie and Subban are two of my favorite interviews) but this is in poor taste IMO.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I don't have time now but others are even posting here and elsewhere about what gibberish Klef's notion is that Hall plays worse against harder teams. This is not backed by anything other than Klefs strange observation and statement.

Next, the comments about the team missing his play and Klefs apparent view on how much he means to the team, and stating that is odd at best. Its as if he felt the team would be winning the same games with him in the lineup.

Whichever semantic you want to put on it referring to other clubs as "inferior" or worse, from an Edmonton Oilers is one of the stupidest things I've heard an Oiler state.

The whole interview smacks of the "what could possibly be gained from these comments" reaction thus far.

Klef just made his bed.

This is pretty stupid.

I guess it's a slow summer so we need to dig up some dubiously translated article so that we have someone to character assassinate, huh?

Disgusting, Replacement. I am actually disgusted.

I won't contribute anymore to this thread since I don't want it's post count to increase and give it more attention than it deserves.

Adéu.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe not the best way of phrasing things and he would have been better off keeping that comment to himself but is there really any need to balloon this into more than it is?

Is trying to drag a current player through the mud an appropriate response to being frustrated that a former player is getting the same treatment?

Klefgate? C'mon.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
heh,

You expect somebody who feels he is speaking the truth to be better? I'm not saying he is right or wrong but tons of stuff has come out about Hall since the trade. Some bs I'm sure, some true and some right in the middle. It was said that a few teammates voiced their opinions at the exist interviews to management. If Klef was one of these players and thought it was for the betterment of the team, who cares. He did the right thing. Hall's leadership qualities have been called into question several times over the years. This is just another confirmation. He still said Hall was a good teammate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad