Post-Game Talk: KK and the Canes put up 6 and a shared HOF banner for Cam Ward. Habs lose.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Some coaches bark all the time and it can get old but MSL has lots of credibility/respect and I think the players get the message well.

It's interesting seeing MSL develop as a coach. Curious to see where he stands in a few years when we are potentially contenders or at least a playoff team.

Habs are playing well. Agreed. They were in this game for most of the game but it got out of hand in the 3rd.

I'm impressed at what MSL is getting out of this group with all those injuries. Maybe we should be rushing some guys back like Gallagher to help the tank? Can't believe I just said that :facepalm:
MSL has respect from many, the coaches of today who have success have had to change their approach.
The Suter, Therrien, Torts kind of coaches are all dying off.........it just doesn't work anymore.
I don't always agree with MSL's decisions, but as for developing kids, and coaching this team he seems a perfect fit. I know his hands are tied at times, trying to polish turds, and please Hughes.
Overall, he really seems to be doing a great job.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MSL has respect from many, the coaches of today who have success have had to change their approach.
The Suter, Therrien, Torts kind of coaches are all dying off.........it just doesn't work anymore.
I don't always agree with MSL's decisions, but as for developing kids, and coaching this team he seems a perfect fit. I know his hands are tied at times, trying to polish turds, and please Hughes.
Overall, he really seems to be doing a great job.

I was a huge fan of MSL and when he was announced as our coach, I was like WTF? This can't be true. Hughes got a lot of guts going with someone who was coaching Peewee. I know a lot of fans inside and outside of our fan base were wondering if that would have been a disaster and I bet you they were waiting for it to happen. Stay in the shadows, losers.

Feb 10th is Habs valentines day. The day we fell in love with MSL for real :laugh:

He's improving as a coach right in front of our eyes.

• Love
Reactions: the and BLONG7

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
And Drouin..................collectively they were -15 which is great, in golf.
This is why Stephan Waite said they looked so good against Chicago, it's easy when you have 14 feet of free ice in front of you,not the same against a real team but considering what we had in the line up I'm satisfied with the overall effort and result,Carolina is the one that should be worried.On another note I hope brindamour never wins anything, he gets pissed for getting a penalty on a clearly dirty hit which if Barron doesn't turn his head away from the boards could have been much more serious ,what a classless clown and organization .

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It was a franchise mistake to draft KK over Tkachuk. Tkachuk is a game breaking talent with massive intangible.

It was another mistake to let KK go. Our former administration got schooled by the Canes. KK would fit very well with our young core going forward with his contract.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
From one management group to the next since the 90's what is it with Habs management and their desire to build soft, small teams?
Well that will continue to happen if we don't draft in the top 5 like we should have. As the size to talent starts to dwindle unless you go smaller. Hence why we need to tank like no other team has tanked before and lose 27 straight from here on out.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
We are a soft team and we are a bunch of smurfs.

Coming soon in your top 9
Caufield
Upcoming top 10 midget draft selection
Farrel
Mesar
Roy
Gallagher (cant get rid of that contract)
RHP

LOL show me another contender team with that much 5ft9 players on a top 9?
None .Hope Huges gets some bottom 6 serious size too .No way they will play that many smurfs .

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
It was a franchise mistake to draft KK over Tkachuk. Tkachuk is a game breaking talent with massive intangible.

It was another mistake to let KK go. Our former administration got schooled by the Canes. KK would fit very well with our young core going forward with his contract.

For sure but there is no point, management wanted the big center and they gambled. Really sucks cause BK is exactly the type of player that the Habs have also been lacking for years. Bergevin just didn't have vision when it came to acquiring centers and didn't think they were available, cause he loved his prospects too much and never wanted to pay anything unlike Hughes now who is willing to ship guys like Romanov and 1st rounders for solid young players like Dach.. Hopefully Hughes and Gorton address the physicality while still finding guys that can play hockey!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
From one management group to the next since the 90's what is it with Habs management and their desire to build soft, small teams?
Uhh, HuGo haven't even started building their team..?
It's not complicated to see they are still dealing with the "team" they inherited from the previous regime..
They traded some parts of it last year, they will trade some more parts of it this year, and we won't be fully rid of the tumors until next year (I'm not counting Gallagher, it is what it is with that 1)
You'll see SOME of what they are trying to build this offseason, but even that will mostly be internal

But the team you see 'right now', you believe this is the final product HuGo are trying to create..?

Reactions: JT3

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Tkachuk is looking more & more like the best player from the 2018 draft…. and was a perfect fit for the regimes strategy at the time

Epic drafting error…

Reactions: Tyson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So tired of soft and small teams. And it won’t get better when you watch our fowards prospect pool. Geez… we can’t draft a foward over 6ft beside Slaf.
Tuch, Roy, Kidney, Beck, Kapanen, Biondi, Davidson, Gordin, Jack Smith are all 6'+.
Hughes asked for 6'+ prospects in his trades last year too (Heineman, Smilanic, Schnarr).

But the drafts are getting smaller. Last years the forwards were 5'11'' on average, this year it seems to be 5'10''. But it's not because the prospect is bigger that he has more chance of being an NHLers (example Jack Smith, or Schnarr or Gordin...or Biondi...). And there are big soft guys out there too.

What you actually want is players who aren't afraid to go in corners, aren't afraid of contact and defend themselves regardless of size.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Hard to sell used garbage.
The players who might land you a good return are injured.

RHP outscored Caufield the last several games. It does not appear to be a one off.
teams have zero film on him like all young players they don't know the guy,Goalies know nothing about him. Not all these rookies next hear will be the same that they were this year. Injuries and opposing teams now aware what they are going against. I am optimistic but cautious about some of these guys Carolina was just toying with montreal until they needed to start playing to win. I don't see us pulling out many wins going forward.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We are a soft team and we are a bunch of smurfs.

Coming soon in your top 9
Caufield
Upcoming top 10 midget draft selection
Farrel
Mesar
Roy
Gallagher (cant get rid of that contract)
RHP

LOL show me another contender team with that much 5ft9 players on a top 9?

The softest players on this team are guys like Drouin, Dadonov, Armia and Hoffman, who most won't be here much longer. Slaf/Dach have excellent size, Suzuki/Beck aren't huge but are both strong and not afraid of contact, then perhaps one of Heineman/Tuch helps add a bit of size/scoring in the top 9.

We could also potentially end up drafting one of Fantilli, Carlson or Dvorsky who are bigger guys.

The focus at this stage should be on simply adding skill and offense. If we could add a skilled guy with size like Dubois I'd be all for it, but I would say the need for size should be in a couple years when are more competitve and we see who we drafted and which prospects even pan out.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The softest players on this team are guys like Drouin, Dadonov, Armia and Hoffman, who most won't be here much longer. Slaf/Dach have excellent size, Suzuki/Beck aren't huge but are both strong and not afraid of contact, then perhaps one of Heineman/Tuch helps add a bit of size/scoring in the top 9.

We could also potentially end up drafting one of Fantilli, Carlson or Dvorsky who are bigger guys.

The focus at this stage should be on simply adding skill and offense. If we could add a skilled guy with size like Dubois I'd be all for it, but I would say the need for size should be in a couple years when are more competitve and we see who we drafted and which prospects even pan out.
I have been neutral when it comes to signing/trading for PLD. Now I am 100% on board. Guys like this are at a premium. He looks like a player who is miserable to play against. I hope he ends up being a Hab.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

???? The current management acquired two 6'4 potential top 6 forwards at their first draft. And are interested in bring Dubois home.

They could literally acquire 3 top 6 forwards over 6'2 220lbs in their first 24 months in charge.

Our future Dcore outside of Hutson/Harris is all over 6'2. What are you and others talking about?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Tkachuk is looking more & more like the best player from the 2018 draft…. and was a perfect fit for the regimes strategy at the time

Epic drafting error…
I remember advocating that we draft Tkachuk but everyone kept pointing out that he only scored 8 goals as a Freshman.

???? The current management acquired to 6'4 potential top 6 forwards at their first draft. And are interested in bring Dubois home.

They could literally acquire 3 top 6 forwards over 6'2 220lbs in their first 24 months in charge.

Our future Dcore outside of Hutson/Harris is all over 6'2. What are you and others talking about?
Did you see the game last night? Size without toughness means squat. Anderson plays like he is a Lady Byng candidate.
Size without grit is what we have. Remove Xhekaj and this team is soft.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I remember advocating that we draft Tkachuk but everyone kept pointing out that he only scored 8 goals as a Freshman.
Dorion & Benning both drafted very well as GMs (leveraging their strong amateur scouting background), their pro scouting & roster construction cost the latter his job & likely same scenario upcoming for former.

Reactions: Tyson

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I hate to say it... and I'm disagreeing with my past self... but I think KK is going to be a bargain at that contract in the near future.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad