Confirmed with Link: Kivihalme re-signed for 2 years

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
No.

EDIT: Rosen could challenge Marincin for the #7 job next year. Kivihalme is not even in the same realm as Rosen. If your "observation skills" are telling you otherwise, then you are just lying to yourself about how "good" they are.
I never said Kivi was better then Rosen, I think Rosen is better. See you need to improve your observation skills. Lacking big time! BTW Rosen is much much better then Marincin.

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I never said Kivi was better then Rosen, I think Rosen is better. See you need to improve your observation skills. Lacking big time!

Yet Marincin is somehow ahead of both on the depth chart and keeps coming back...

Rosen and Marincin are on the same level. High end AHL players who are quality depth NHLers. Kivihalme barely scraped by as a mediocre AHLer last year.

When the Leafs needed defensemen, Marincin, Rosen, Liljegren and Sandin were the ones the Leafs considered (they even specifically acquired Rosen to add defensive depth). Kivihalme wasn't even called up outside of one game where he got to sit in the pressbox in his homestate (which is what they gave to pretty much every AHLer, including guys who they are probably not going to keep like Bracco).

The only fortunate thing about this re-signing is that it should not block any of our prospects from getting playing time or a chance to make the squad (in the case of Hoefenmayer, Greenway, Rasanen and Kokkonen).

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Yet Marincin is somehow ahead of both on the depth chart and keeps coming back...

Rosen and Marincin are on the same level. High end AHL players who are quality depth NHLers. Kivihalme barely scraped by as a mediocre AHLer last year.

When the Leafs needed defensemen, Marincin, Rosen, Liljegren and Sandin were the ones the Leafs considered (they even specifically acquired Rosen to add defensive depth). Kivihalme wasn't even called up outside of one game where he got to sit in the pressbox in his homestate (which is what they gave to pretty much every AHLer, including guys who they are probably not going to keep like Bracco).

The only fortunate thing about this re-signing is that it should not block any of our prospects from getting playing time or a chance to make the squad (in the case of Hoefenmayer, Greenway, Rasanen and Kokkonen).

Lmfao he is not ahead of them on the depth chart lolol. You look at it that way cuz they have him as an extra. That doesnt mean he is better lmao. He is a cheap, non complainer, that is there on the road in case of injuries. I watch a pile of Marlie games every year, Rosen when he plays is usually the best player on the ice, Kivi moved up from 3rd pairing all the way to first pairing. Marincin, they have in the press box, not playing. They dont want that with Rosen, Kivi, Or Lily or anyone else. Stop looking at press box stats and actually watch them play. You might improve your observation skills. But of course know it all wannabes like yourself cant see something like that. Too wrapped up in trying to be right, instead just making yourself look foolish. Enjoy your allstar Marincin in the press box all year again next year! Jesus just wow!

Last edited:

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan

Marincin blows, anyone says differently, does not have a clue about hockey, plain and simple.

Reactions: ToMaLe

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Marincin blows, anyone says differently, does not have a clue about hockey, plain and simple.
oh no, Marincin, is great, just ask seaofblue, he is in here defending him like its his brother since he thinks he is so good lmao. Pure foolishness lol.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Lmfao he is not ahead of them on the depth chart lolol. You look at it that way cuz they have him as an extra. That doesnt mean he is better lmao. He is a cheap, non complainer, that is there on the road in case of injuries. I watch a pile of Marlie games every year, Rosen when he plays is usually the best player on the ice, Kivi moved up from 3rd pairing all the way to first pairing. Marincin, they have in the press box, not playing. They dont want that with Rosen, Kivi, Or Lily or anyone else. Stop looking at press box stats and actually watch them play. You might improve your observation skills. But of course know it all wannabes like yourself cant see something like that. Too wrapped up in trying to be right, instead just making yourself look foolish. Enjoy your allstar Marincin in the press box all year again next year! Jesus just wow!
Are you ok?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Wow you really hate Marincin lol

I hate him too but this is next level. Marincin is actually great at the AHL level. Better than both Rosen, and Especially Kivihalme were.

Kivihalme only moved up to the first pair because they literally didn't have anybody else, and guys like Sandin got called up, not because he played well.

And yes Rosen was a PP beast in the AHL but he wasn't very good defensively.

Marincin is better than both guys at that level. Trust me I'm not saying that I like Marincin at all and think he's terrible at the NHL level, but they don't just keep him there because they don't want him to play with the kids on the Marliesm

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Wow you really hate Marincin lol

I hate him too but this is next level. Marincin is actually great at the AHL level. Better than both Rosen, and Especially Kivihalme were.

Kivihalme only moved up to the first pair because they literally didn't have anybody else, and guys like Sandin got called up, not because he played well.

And yes Rosen was a PP beast in the AHL but he wasn't very good defensively.

Marincin is better than both guys at that level. Trust me I'm not saying that I like Marincin at all and think he's terrible at the NHL level, but they don't just keep him there because they don't want him to play with the kids on the Marliesm
I watch alot of Marlies games live, Marincin is worst then both by far. I agree with you he is terrible at the NHL level. Most everyone can see that. I dont hate him as a person, just hate him on the Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I watch alot of Marlies games live, Marincin is worst then both by far. I agree with you he is terrible at the NHL level. Most everyone can see that. I dont hate him as a person, just hate him on the Leafs.

The last time Marincin played any kind of real games in the AHL was 2 years ago when he was the top pairing defenseman on a really stacked team... And played extremely well.

The best we can hope out of Kivihalme is that he turns out similar to Holl or Rosen, but he needs a lot of work on his defensive game to get to anywhere close to Holl's level, and Rosen's offense was already AHL All-Star level at 25. He is a long shot, and I think the Leafs could have invested the contract spot in either a defenseman who is already much better and has more experience than Kivihalme, or a guy who is younger with a lot more potential.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
The last time Marincin played any kind of real games in the AHL was 2 years ago when he was the top pairing defenseman on a really stacked team... And played extremely well.

The best we can hope out of Kivihalme is that he turns out similar to Holl or Rosen, but he needs a lot of work on his defensive game to get to anywhere close to Holl's level, and Rosen's offense was already AHL All-Star level at 25. He is a long shot, and I think the Leafs could have invested the contract spot in either a defenseman who is already much better and has more experience than Kivihalme, or a guy who is younger with a lot more potential.
Marincin has never played extremely well in his life, maybe in your eyes. He was mediocre at best in the AHL, terrible in the NHL, 99% would agree, except people like you. Kivi might never make the NHL, maybe he will someday become bottom pairing who knows, his skating is far superior then spaghetti legs Marincin, his offense is better, he doesn't control the puck on his stick like a grenade like Marincin, he isnt caught out of position as blatantly often as Marincin. So I dont get your thinking at all. I didnt say he was as good as Rosen or Holl, once again not sure where you are getting that from. All I said was he is better then Marincin, which is not really saying alot. If you want to keep defending Marincin, beat you self out pal. He is a horrible NHL defensenen, people like you are not going to change my opinion lol.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I doubt that he ever plays with the big club unless there are some big injury pileups in the next two years, but he seems like a solid defenseman for the AHL club.. He's 25 though, so I doubt he has a whole lot of room to get better, but there are late bloomers, so you never know. At best, he becomes a good first call-up guy in 21/22.

We've got these thirteen defensemen under contract next season:

Morgan Rielly
Jake Muzzin
Justin Holl
Rasmus Sandin
Timothy Liljegren
Mikko Lehtonen
Martin Marincin
Calle Rosén
Jesper Lindgren
Joseph Duszak
Mac Hollowell
Kristian Rubins
Filip Král

As well as Kivihalme, and likely Dermott (RFA). He's looking like the #9-10 guy on the depth chart. Two years isn't a huge commitment, always nice to have depth guys who stick around for a while, understand the system and play well in it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Naw,,,, i disagree

he is a absolute fine #7/8

we know there is no more to develop ,,so him rotting in the press box is not bad compared to a sundin/lilly

he comes cheap and is a 0 drama player

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Naw,,,, i disagree

we know there is no more to develop ,,so him rotting in the press box is not bad compared to a sundin/lilly

Exactly.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Naw,,,, i disagree

You are not disagreeing lmao. A #8 is in the press box where he belongs hahaha! He is not bad compared to Sundin???? Sundin was a first overall pick center. lmao too funny!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I agree, #8 on the team, doesnt ploy for the Leafs doesnt ploy for the Marlies. Ride the press box where he cant hurt the team.

You don't even know what constitutes a #7/8 defender?

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think he takes a big step on the AHL next year and we see big strides

Fingers crossed. At least that way he may be able to replace Rosen. I have a feeling this is Rosen's last year in North America unless he finds a place which can give him a legit shot at a top 6 NHL role, and that probably does not happen on the Leafs with Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin and possibly Dermott on the LD depth chart going forward.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You don't even know what constitutes a #7/8 defender?

Some of this fanbase has this strange expectation that #7/8 guys need to play like theyre in the top 4. The handwringing over Marincin is another example.

This guy is young enough that he can still develop, and if not hes useful depth for the Marlies.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Some of this fanbase has this strange expectation that #7/8 guys need to play like theyre in the top 4. The handwringing over Marincin is another example.

This guy is young enough that he can still develop, and if not hes useful depth for the Marlies.

I've just ignored both of the guys now. It is one thing to have a difference of opinions and another to fabricate facts to fit an agenda and attacking people who do not follow along.

But yes, worst case he can hopefully just continue being a mediocre AHLer and then hopefully our other young options can step up into those more key roles and potentially make it to the NHL someday.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I've just ignored both of the guys now. It is one thing to have a difference of opinions and another to fabricate facts to fit an agenda and attacking people who do not follow along.

But yes, worst case he can hopefully just continue being a mediocre AHLer and then hopefully our other young options can step up into those more key roles and potentially make it to the NHL someday.
Once again like the know it all you are, everyone fabricates facts just because their opinion differ from yours. GOD forbid that someone other then you knows anything. Again I agree with Sawchuks opinion of you. You make that pretty clear, like a lot of other posters thoughts of you. Carry on know it all! Where is your description of a 7/8 defender, that only you know the description of??? Come on know it all, others need to know!

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You are not disagreeing lmao. A #8 is in the press box where he belongs hahaha! He is not bad compared to Sundin???? Sundin was a first overall pick center. lmao too funny!

Marincin rotting in the press box = not bad

Lilly/Sandin rotting in the press box=bad

understand now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad