Confirmed with Link: Kivihalme re-signed for 2 years

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I mean he was not that good for the Marlies last year... I feel like the contract could have gone towards a better defenseman.

However most of the Marlies were not that good last year so hopefully if Moore improves as a coach, then the players (including Kivihalme) will follow suit.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Two year, two-way deal. Good contract; even if he continues to simply be organizational depth.

Reactions: Ciao

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You guys are being a little harsh I think he's a very capable AHL defenseman from what I've seen. He could easily catch on with a Swedish league team but wants to be an NHL dman one day so good on him for coming to the market that will give him some exposure if you play well in the AHL. There will be hashtag #FreeTeemu all over talk radio if he's really good enough

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Didn't blow my socks off with the Marlies but he was one of the most consistent defenders along with Lindgren. Good skater in all directions, plays a conservative game, and has a sneaky wrister that beats traffic. I think he could realistically be a #6/7 defensemen soon.

Management seems to like him. Gave him a call-up for the Minnesota game even though he didn't actually play. Now they include him in the reserve roster for the playoffs and clearly he met expectations.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like it

He's a solid player and looked pretty good on the Marlies before half the defensive unit disappeared and the coaching changes happened, I also think there's still some untapped potential there to

He's good organizational depth at least imo

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
109331337_10158170210715199_2934721139097360268_o.jpg

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Nice signing, I would take him over Marincin any day.

Eh, don't. Marincin is a far better player.

Kivihalme is obviously 3 years younger so he could possibly get better, but as of right now, Marincin is a better player.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Probably #9 or 10 on the defensive depth chart next year as we stand.

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin- Lehtonen
Rosen - Marincin
Kivihalme - Liljegren
Rubins - Hollowell
Kral - Lindgren
XXX - Duszak

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Re-signed. Resigned means he quit!

No surprise, the Marlies are a much more attractive location during covid.

$100k to play AHL in Toronto isn't bad but the Liiga money would probably be quite a bit better if he was close to establishing himself as a top end player. I think believes he can take the next step here but with the return of Rosen and the other second year guys the Marlies aren't opening any doors.
Didn't blow my socks off with the Marlies but he was one of the most consistent defenders along with Lindgren. Good skater in all directions, plays a conservative game, and has a sneaky wrister that beats traffic. I think he could realistically be a #6/7 defensemen soon.

Management seems to like him. Gave him a call-up for the Minnesota game even though he didn't actually play. Now they include him in the reserve roster for the playoffs and clearly he met expectations.

It will be interesting to see how the young Marlie D-men look next season. Which ones spent the time off training properly might cause some separation that wasn't so clear last year. He is a lefty so Rosen's return doesn't help him.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
$100k to play AHL in Toronto isn't bad but the Liiga money would probably be quite a bit better if he was close to establishing himself as a top end player. I think believes he can take the next step here but with the return of Rosen and the other second year guys the Marlies aren't

Marlies money will be guaranteed, a lot of teams can't afford to pay a salary with no gate revenue. A lot of perks as far as coaches, facilities, amenities with the Marlies as well.

Regardless of his intentions, he's 25 with zero NHL games, even considering him a prospect is a stretch at this point.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I actually think that Rubins was more consistent. Sandin and Liljegren were obviously better and more consistent too.

After that, you are getting into Schmaltz, Harpur, Gravel, Hollowell and Duszak. The first three are not even going to be on the Marlies next year, and the latter two are 2-3 years younger and brought more offense. Duszak and Hollowell need to be a lot better defensively though... They were not good last year.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Eh, don't. Marincin is a far better player.

Kivihalme is obviously 3 years younger so he could possibly get better, but as of right now, Marincin is a better player.
Marincin is a far batter player, if you love fk ups, bad positioning, give aways and handling a puck like a grenade. One of the most brutal defensenen to ever wear a Leafs jersey. Not sure what player you have been watching.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Marincin is a far batter player, if you love fk ups, bad positioning, give aways and handling a puck like a grenade. One of the most brutal defensenen to ever wear a Leafs jersey. Not sure what player you have been watching.

Nothing in this post is based in fact or reality.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No just good observation skills.

No.

EDIT: Rosen could challenge Marincin for the #7 job next year. Kivihalme is not even in the same realm as Rosen. If your "observation skills" are telling you otherwise, then you are just lying to yourself about how "good" they are.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad