Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
That leaves Saginaw. Without checking, I don’t believe they’ve ever had the first overall pick in their history.
They picked 1st in 2003 when we picked Heshmatpour.
Game is not televised but I think we can all agree JP's Magic and Friends is probably more entertaining programming than the Rangers game would have been.
Solid effort so far, up 4-1 late in the 1st.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
It shouldn't be ignored that Erie played at home last night and they look tired as hell.

But where has this rangers team been legit at any point this season?
I am not having any change of hearts, this was a must win game if there are those at this time of year but they're moving the puck well.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Going to post my thoughts here now. About 12 minutes left in the game.

One thing I've noticed while analyzing this team is how underrated Simon Motew is and may even be the teams best defencemen.

Happy to see players like Bottineau get his 1st OHL point. Hunter B getting his 1st OHL goal.

And happy to see a win. As much as I am on the side that we should be selling and trying to get the best draft spot possible to help rebuild from poor drafting, a win is something you like to see no matter what.

Now to be nit picky for a minute.,

The credit kind of stops there. This was a tired Erie team who played last night on home ice and drove 4 hours to Kitchener this morning. They looked tired but this was a scheduled win if their ever was one.

But I am not going to start handing out A+ because they played a full 60 today. This is the effort we should be getting night in, night out. Not 8 goals but a full 60 minutes and they did that today, but until its a consistent thing, there are still major issues and we shouldn't be letting up on this.

Erie scored twice to make it an 8-4 game while I typed this so scratch that 60 minute mumbo jumbo I typed lol

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Good bounce-back win. Man this team is full of surprises. I agree with the broadcasters in that Sop is likely the one consistent element on a team seemingly full of ups and downs,

Here's just a few numbers:

- 47% of the teams goals (35) have come in 5 of the 21 games they've played.

- 60% of Rehkopf's goals (6) came in 2 of his 21 games. Not picking on him specifically. You could point to other cases of inconsistency.

- according to Pope, today's 3 power play goals were more than that of the previous 5 games combined (I didn't verify this). I think the home game vs Sudbury had a bunch of PP goals in that one game too, and yet I believe this team sits 19th for PP success (?)

I feel like I'm in a car that has a driver with one foot on the accelerator and one on the brake, constantly changing his mind on which one to use.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Well I'll be, looks like they borrowed some of JPMagic & Friends magic. Put him on in the Rangers-game-time-slot again for good luck!

Still, we've seen this movie before. Terrible stretch, big win, then nothing changes and we go through the cycle again.
This squad looks decent when they catch teams that are sick and tired. We as Ranger fans are officially in the "twilight zone". Referenced as the lowest level of the ocean to which light cannot penetrate.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
BOOM. First of all....no excuses about Erie being tired blah blah blah. Otherwise, I'm going to point out that Rangers had FOUR D......and a rookie in only his 2nd game in the OHL. Erie were up and at em in the 1st period BUT Rangers actually played hockey. They did what many teams have done to them. Up 4-1 in the first period. And I'm going to give them credit for that. Even when Erie pushed back, Rangers did too. By the 3rd period, it was 8-2......I repeat 8-2.....and someone flicked a switch...."better ease off". It was totally obvious. And of course, Erie capitalized with 2 quick goals. But, then Rangers picked it up again.

Finally, some lines that made sense. Rehkopf has been wasted on the 3rd line. He was finally placed on a top two line and yes, HAT TRICK. When Martin went down, I felt that Swick would be a good replacement. You don't k now if you don't try. Didn't happen until yesterday afternoon but what a difference. And young Bottineau is going to be a good one. No doubt. Really liked his game.

Swick-Sop-Valade
Zidlicky-Rehkopf-Mešár
Misaljevic-Serpa-Fishman
Bottineau-Morey-Pugliese

IF MM is thinking of adding instead of selling, then do it now not later. We've been talking for months about a seasoned forward on the top two and a gritty, seasoned D. Two adds that could make a difference. Look at London and Guelph. Hunter made a couple of key adds and that team is competitive. Guelph's add has also paid off. I have never felt that the Rangers would be Mem Cup bound but I did feel that this team would be in the upper part of their conference with a good playoff run.

But if it's SELL then sell and put fans out of their misery. For me, these next five games....home vs Windsor Friday.....in Guelph Saturday....home vs Guelph Tues......in Peterborough Thurs....and home vs Niagara Fri will be the final test. Either the Rangers rise to the occasion or they flounder some more. ADD or SELL. Decide.

Reactions: three dog night

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
BOOM. First of all....no excuses about Erie being tired blah blah blah. Otherwise, I'm going to point out that Rangers had FOUR D......and a rookie in only his 2nd game in the OHL. Erie were up and at em in the 1st period BUT Rangers actually played hockey. They did what many teams have done to them. Up 4-1 in the first period. And I'm going to give them credit for that. Even when Erie pushed back, Rangers did too. By the 3rd period, it was 8-2......I repeat 8-2.....and someone flicked a switch...."better ease off". It was totally obvious. And of course, Erie capitalized with 2 quick goals. But, then Rangers picked it up again.

Finally, some lines that made sense. Rehkopf has been wasted on the 3rd line. He was finally placed on a top two line and yes, HAT TRICK. When Martin went down, I felt that Swick would be a good replacement. You don't k now if you don't try. Didn't happen until yesterday afternoon but what a difference. And young Bottineau is going to be a good one. No doubt. Really liked his game.

Swick-Sop-Valade
Zidlicky-Rehkopf-Mešár
Misaljevic-Serpa-Fishma
Bottineau-Morey-Pugliese

IF MM is thinking of adding instead of selling, then do it now not later. We've been talking for months about a seasoned forward on the top two and a gritty, seasoned D. Two adds that could make a difference. Look at London and Guelph. Hunter made a couple of key adds and that team is competitive. Guelph's add has also paid off. I have never felt that the Rangers would be Mem Cup bound but I did feel that this team would be in the upper part of their conference with a good playoff run.

But if it's SELL then sell and put fans out of their misery. For me, these next five games....home vs Windsor Friday.....in Guelph Saturday....home vs Guelph Tues......in Peterborough Thurs....and home vs Niagara Fri will be the final test. Either the Rangers rise to the occasion or they flounder some more. ADD or SELL. Decide.
Sounds like your back on the "go for it" bandwagon a bit True Blue? Maybe wavering? On the rookies Bottineau is the only rookie of the three the Rangers actually drafted. Brock Otten liked Bottineau's skill set at the draft. The other two are 17 year old add ons. On the win the Rangers sure needed that just for the mental part of their game. MM brought in Constantini to right the ship. This was his big move. I think he has faith this team will pull out of the slump. Very quiet on his part other than he has the coaching staffs back.

RichieRice

Jan 8, 2018
Surprised Hamara is a minus 15. Tied for the worse in the league.
And Motew is a plus 6! Best on the team.

Swick-Sop-Valade
Zidlicky-Rehkopf-Mešár
Misaljevic-Serpa-Fishman
Bottineau-Morey-Pugliese

Agreed, those lines worked well. Where should Pinelli go when he comes back?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
String together something longer than 4 wins and maybe I'll uncross my arms. Liked what I saw from that new kid Scott. He actually takes the man and not the puck. Crazy tactic!

Haven’t taught him the system yet. Give him time and he will look bad. 😊

Reactions: bobber

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

This more looks like a top 3 lines instead of trying to load up 2 lines. If that’s the case give Serpa someone to play with and bump one of Fish or Misa.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Put him in Serpa’s spot. Move Serpa to the right side. Fishman down to 4th line.
I leave Bottineau in the lineup. Take one of Pugliese or Morey out

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
For me, these next five games....home vs Windsor Friday.....in Guelph Saturday....home vs Guelph Tues......in Peterborough Thurs....and home vs Niagara Fri will be the final test. Either the Rangers rise to the occasion or they flounder some more. ADD or SELL. Decide.
The next five games? I pointed out a couple weeks ago that starting with the last five games, we needed to go 4-1 to give MM a green light that we should be buyers. Instead, we went 2-3. If we go 2-3 or 3-2 over the next five games, what message does that send anybody? We’d still be just spinning our wheels.

At some point, we’re going to run out of “next five games”.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Put him in Serpa’s spot. Move Serpa to the right side. Fishman down to 4th line.
I leave Bottineau in the lineup. Take one of Pugliese or Morey out

Pugliese should be the one to come out.

How the hell does he miss the net on a 1 on 0 6 feet from the net? Puts his head up, skates to the bench leisurely. Seeing this more and more from him. He hasn't taken any stride and honestly, I'd just rather have Morey and Bottineau at this point.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

How the hell does he miss the net on a 1 on 0 6 feet from the net? Puts his head up, skates to the bench leisurely. Seeing this more and more from him. He hasn't taken any stride and honestly, I'd just rather have Morey and Bottineau at this point.
I had so much hope for Pugliese this year. He was impressive last year and looked better than A LeBlanc. I expected him to only get better.

Instead, he’s taken a step back or at best stagnated. Miseljevic seems to be the one who’s improved a bunch over last year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I had so much hope for Pugliese this year. He was impressive last year and looked better than A LeBlanc. I expected him to only get better.

Instead, he’s taken a step back or at best stagnated. Miseljevic seems to be the one who’s improved a bunch over last year.
Your right on Pugliese, Even. Last year he looked like a kid that would step up his game this season and make an impact.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Mar 12, 2009

Pugliese is one guy in the bottom 6 who has shown previously he can play a role, I'm not taking him out for missing a shot. I'd take Misaljevic out. Too similar to other guys like Morey (who is younger and already similar quality imo) and is one guy to have had a lot more top 6 and PP opportunities here and there than any of the other current bottom 6 outside of Sop. I guess I don't see the improvement in him as much as others, he looks more or less the same as he did last year and not as good as he looked at times in the playoffs.

Pugliese missed camp and the early part of the season because of an injury and/or surgery if I'm not mistaken. He's got a longer leash at this point than some of the others for my money.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The next five games? I pointed out a couple weeks ago that starting with the last five games, we needed to go 4-1 to give MM a green light that we should be buyers. Instead, we went 2-3. If we go 2-3 or 3-2 over the next five games, what message does that send anybody? We’d still be just spinning our wheels.

At some point, we’re going to run out of “next five games”.
And nothing happened. Rangers are already spinning their wheels. For me, it's now or never. I'm generous I know. But as a STH, this time Rangers either play like they should and could....and ADD.........or......it's SELL time. End of story.

Reactions: RichieRice

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Orval Tessier was here for a year back in 80-81. He said, "I will give them until Christmas and then they better be playing hockey". Maybe that's MM's line of thinking. Dennis and MM are no Orval Tessier. He was here just one year and won a championship. Then went on to the AHL the next season and won another. Rangers had Bellows and company to accomplish this feat. Totally different team and skill set now. I do feel for the STH. Many are diehard hockey fans and just want to go to a hockey game and see some solid hockey at the Aud. On game nights when the team lost but put in a solid 60 minutes and fought to the last buzzer you at least went home thinking you may have got your money's worth.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Pugliese is one guy in the bottom 6 who has shown previously he can play a role, I'm not taking him out for missing a shot. I'd take Misaljevic out. Too similar to other guys like Morey (who is younger and already similar quality imo) and is one guy to have had a lot more top 6 and PP opportunities here and there than any of the other current bottom 6 outside of Sop. I guess I don't see the improvement in him as much as others, he looks more or less the same as he did last year and not as good as he looked at times in the playoffs.

Pugliese missed camp and the early part of the season because of an injury and/or surgery if I'm not mistaken. He's got a longer leash at this point than some of the others for my money.

Just to clarify and It's more than just the missed shot for me. I just don't see enough out of him on a daily basis but you're right he has earned a longer leash. I've just seen a similar game from Morey who as mentioned is younger to want him more in the line up but we're also talking about bottom 6. Neither of Morey, Misaljevic or Pug are game changers by any means.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Orval Tessier was here for a year back in 80-81. He said, "I will give them until Christmas and then they better be playing hockey". Maybe that's MM's line of thinking. Dennis and MM are no Orval Tessier. He was here just one year and won a championship. Then went on to the AHL the next season and won another. Rangers had Bellows and company to accomplish this feat. Totally different team and skill set now. I do feel for the STH. Many are diehard hockey fans and just want to go to a hockey game and see some solid hockey at the Aud. On game nights when the team lost but put in a solid 60 minutes and fought to the last buzzer you at least went home thinking you may have got your money's worth.
One of the best seasons I recall was Spott's first. We missed the playoffs. That team always seemed to play to the final buzzer although I'm sure there were a couple of nights that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad