Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
You pretty much had this called and confirmed from the beginning. The Sens board was really adamant he was staying in Europe!
After he signed his ELC - I had heard (I also believe that there was a news article that alluded to it) that the only reason he signed was to get out from his contract in Finland so he could play for Kitchener.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
EXCERPTS from Josh Brown article:

MM.....It’ll be interesting to see how things shakedown with so many bodies.
Even McKenzie admits that a trade is likely inevitable at some point.

“We’ve been patient all summer,” he said. “We want to see what some of the returning guys can do. I think there is a lot of belief in some of these guys that may not have been front-line players for us last year.

There are some notable names absent from the Rangers’ training camp roster.

This year’s first-round pick Michael Hage is currently with the Chicago Steel of the United States Hockey League. “He was committed to the Steel when we drafted him and still is for this year, which we knew going into the draft and were OK with.”

Defenceman, and 2022 second-round selection Cole Longacre, is also missing.
“He’s a little bit unsure of where he’s going to be play this year, last we checked,” said McKenzie. “That’s obviously disappointing. We thought he was going to come and had made that commitment to us when we drafted him. Otherwise I don’t think we would have taken him." “We think he’d be a great fit here, but we have to turn the page and keep moving forward. We’ll keep in touch with him and his family and see how things unfold here.”

Filip Mesar is training with the Habs, but could still be reassigned to the Rangers down the road and will miss Rangers’ training camp.

Antonino Pugliese will miss training camp after having surgery for a sports hernia earlier this summer. He’s making good progress in his recovery and is expected to rejoin the Rangers in mid- to late September.

Sebastian Monaco (seventh round, 2021) and Luca DiFelice (fourth round, 2022) are expected to duke it out for the third job in net.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like they are not declaring Hage defective. Big gamble. Would be a big fail if neither Hage nor Longacre end up a Ranger.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sounds like they are not declaring Hage defective. Big gamble. Would be a big fail if neither Hage nor Longacre end up a Ranger.
That would be a massive fail. For me, Longacre is one thing, but Hage is another.

Seems Longacre may need some convincing but I said before ice time may be an issue with him at 16. I’d be happy if he came to camp and if he chose big minutes at a lower level, then fine.

Playing in Chicago this year gives NCAA recruiters a year to get into the Hage camp’s heads to go that route.

I’d be a whole lot more comfortable if he’d swing by the Aud long enough to burn his eligibility. Show some sort of commitment to the Rangers if he really 100% plans on playing here. Something in the ballpark that Meireles did as a 16 year old.

Problem is, I’d want him to do it before the September defective player window ends.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That would be a massive fail. For me, Longacre is one thing, but Hage is another.

Seems Longacre may need some convincing but I said before ice time may be an issue with him at 16. I’d be happy if he came to camp and if he chose big minutes at a lower level, then fine.

Playing in Chicago this year gives NCAA recruiters a year to get into the Hage camp’s heads to go that route.

I’d be a whole lot more comfortable if he’d swing by the Aud long enough to burn his eligibility. Show some sort of commitment to the Rangers if he really 100% plans on playing here. Something in the ballpark that Meireles did as a 16 year old.

Problem is, I’d want him to do it before the September defective player window ends.
If Hage burns his NCAA eligibility, wouldn't he be barred from playing in the USHL? (Part statement...part question)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Hage burns his NCAA eligibility, wouldn't he be barred from playing in the USHL? (Part statement...part question)
I have no idea. I also have no idea if he’d even be able to come here after having been committed to and attending the Steel camp. Surely he could come, but would they have him back? Would rules not allow him back? Would he be burning a bridge?

Also, last September, teams were able to deem players drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft as defective (Fantilli for example). Was that a one time deal because of the lost Covid season or can teams now deem a player defective after hanging onto his rights for a year?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Also, last September, teams were able to deem players drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft as defective (Fantilli for example). Was that a one time deal because of the lost Covid season or can teams now deem a player defective after hanging onto his rights for a year?

Pretty sure that was because there was no 2020-2021 training camps for them to not report to. The 21-22 camp was the first opportunity for them to actually not report.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I wouldn't call it a big fail. I am sure the Rangers know what the gamble is when they take a flyer on a skilled player other teams pass on. I think any team in the league would be smart to grab a player like Hage if he was available. He is one of the best rookies I have seen in many years. Heads and tails above everyone in the rookie camp. If they do show up eventually its a massive win.

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014
I wouldn't call it a big fail. I am sure the Rangers know what the gamble is when they take a flyer on a skilled player other teams pass on. I think any team in the league would be smart to grab a player like Hage if he was available. He is one of the best rookies I have seen in many years. Heads and tails above everyone in the rookie camp. If they do show up eventually its a massive win.
Any time you don't sign your top 2 picks, I don't see how you label it as a massive fail.

Now the Rangers will have to make a decision on Hage - declare him a defected pick in order to get an extra 1st rounder next year or hold on to him and gamble that he will show up later on this year or next season.

Two points on Hage. Let him do the USHL for two seasons, he will be in Kitchener to finish out his Junior.

Also by selecting him, MM kept him out of London.

Really looking forward to seeing the team you guys ice this season.
You can't be satisfied with your 1st pick showing up for only one season, two at the most if he spends two seasons in the USHL. You need your top pick on your roster ASAP.

If your strategy for drafting is to keep players away from other clubs, I would think your team would have limited success.

Last edited:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
If your strategy for drafting is to keep players away from other clubs, I would think your team would have limited success.
Yeah that;s all time loser talk pretending its a good thing to potentually waste a 1st round pick to keep a guy from someone else.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Yeah that;s all time loser talk pretending its a good thing to potentually waste a 1st round pick to keep a guy from someone else.
Ok. Make it personal.

Merely made an observation. Nowhere did I state it was a strategy, just turns out it was a bonus.

Too many factors at play these days. It is entirely likely Hage goes NCAA, many kids are doing that these days.

Last edited:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Ok. Make it personal.

Merely made an observation. Nowhere did I state it was a strategy, just turns out it was a bonus.

Too many factors at play these days. It is entirely likely Hage goes NCAA, many kids are doing that these days.
I tihnk taking Hage will end up a good thing because im sure he will come. I just dont think you can spin that even if you potentially waste a first it could be a good thing because it kept him from london

Reactions: rangersblues

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Looking forward to the Blue White games today and tomorrow. Mostly returning players but a chance to see Brzustewicz in action. And I can't help but wonder if they'll have more of a look at Lex Terrence now that Longacre has decided to stay in the States. He's a 2006 with the size and will need to bulk up. But perhaps a younger D over one of the older ones we've discussed?

On forward, there could be a couple of spots open. Does Thomakos, McGurn, or Macchione have a chance of coming onboard. And Mathieu Comeau (an invite) is an interesting prospect. 6' 185 lbs 41pts in 48 games with the Hearst Lumberjacks in the NOJHL. And there's Carson McGurn (Sean's brother) who has bounced back from injuries and has a nice upside.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Looking forward to the Blue White games today and tomorrow. Mostly returning players but a chance to see Brzustewicz in action. And I can't help but wonder if they'll have more of a look at Lex Terrence now that Longacre has decided to stay in the States. He's a 2006 with the size and will need to bulk up. But perhaps a younger D over one of the older ones we've discussed?

On forward, there could be a couple of spots open. Does Thomakos, McGurn, or Macchione have a chance of coming onboard. And Mathieu Comeau (an invite) is an interesting prospect. 6' 185 lbs 41pts in 48 games with the Hearst Lumberjacks in the NOJHL. And there's Carson McGurn (Sean's brother) who has bounced back from injuries and has a nice upside.

I believe the McGurn's are cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad