Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Hello new coach! Same as the old coach.
well...when the foundation is built on wet clay it tough to build a strong structure. Like many on here has pointed there are severe issues within the Rangers and the coaching (one of many issues) is an easy target.
Im hoping this season will cause changes for longer term health and success of this team. We need drastic changes not a bandaid solution.

Mar 12, 2009
well...when the foundation is built on wet clay it tough to build a strong structure. Like many on here has pointed there are severe issues within the Rangers and the coaching (one of many issues) is an easy target.
Im hoping this season will cause changes for longer term health and success of this team. We need drastic changes not a bandaid solution.
I don't think it will. We'll make the playoffs and those in charge will go "mission accomplished!"

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't think it will. We'll make the playoffs and those in charge will go "mission accomplished!"
I dont disagree.....thats why I hope we dont make the playoffs. Yes, I know for some that makes me a terrible fan...tough on them.
Regarding any new coach.....what qualified coach will want to come here looking at the returning players with basically an empty draft cupboard and the "scouting" department. He would be setting himself for failure while an desperate coach will jump to come here.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When MM was interviewed back when Dennis was still coaching he claimed he made trades to bolster this lineup without having to give up his young players. Looking at the stats of Misaljevic , Mercer, Morey, Pugliese and Bottineau they have combined for 16 points. All down at 400 or below in league stats. We all have seen how the coaching staff develops players. I just don't see a jump in stats from any of these players going forward. On coaching MM said his system is built on chaos. Keep the opposing team guessing. It helps to be crazy if you are a Ranger fan but this is nuts!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
In other news, Bulldog fans on their thread are raving about their coaching staff. Happy with McKee in their contending season and quite happy with him as they rebuild.

Where’d he coach again?

Be great to get a copy of Hamilton's scouting book. Their GM said one thing they look for in prospects is character. One OHL scout said in an article I read that they all know the top prospects. It's finding others diamonds in the rough that make a successful draft. He said he doesn't care if a player can do a toe drag. He wants to see what he does after with no puck on his stick. If he sees the player doing the wrong thing he doesn't get a second look. There is an issue with scouting in Kitchener but it will never get addressed without massive changes.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I dont disagree.....thats why I hope we dont make the playoffs. Yes, I know for some that makes me a terrible fan...tough on them.
Regarding any new coach.....what qualified coach will want to come here looking at the returning players with basically an empty draft cupboard and the "scouting" department. He would be setting himself for failure while an desperate coach will jump to come here.

If that makes you a terrible fan then move over, I'm with ya.

This isn't a typical go-for-it-team. Those teams have hope in the playoffs and if they fail, they will go down fighting. They will more than likely have something better left in the draft cupboard, and also have a reasonable base of rookies to build off of. As I mentioned before, this team is going to have more than one lean year IMO (lack of quality young players, bare cupboard, and possibly the uncertainty of the coaching situation). Quite honestly, in more ways than one, not making the playoffs may indeed be the best thing that would happen. Gaining playoff experience for the younger guy (guys ?) anyway isn't going to help for a long time....again IMO.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think I've completely checked out on this organization after following them since 1966. That's the first time I recall going to a game - we lost the finals to Bobby Orr.

I followed them passionately until the early 90s when enough was enough. I was sick of watching the organization flounder. Even when Deboer arrived I took it with a grain of salt. It took me a season to start following closely again. I don't think I ever regained the same passion though. Chances are because after Deboer left the organization began floundering again.

Yesterday was the final straw. Not because of how the Rangers played. It was a decent enough effort. It's because of how Hamilton played. Two OHL championships in 4 years and well on the way to competing for another very soon. Why can't it be like that on East Ave? Instead our ceiling seems to be mediocrity every 4+ years. Rangers fans deserve so much better.

I'll still post periodically but much less frequently. I've been mostly checked out for a few years. The thing I miss most is seeing the friends I've made at the Aud every Friday but we touch base pretty frequently still. I can't pay a $25 cover charge and $10+ a beer to socialize.

I really wish the fans and especially the people on this board good luck, especially the next few seasons. I just don't see a very rosy future for the caliber of hockey for this club. I'm convinced changes to how this organization is run will never happen. It only seems to get worse over the years. Cheers 🍻

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If that makes you a terrible fan then move over, I'm with ya.

This isn't a typical go-for-it-team. Those teams have hope in the playoffs and if they fail, they will go down fighting. They will more than likely have something better left in the draft cupboard, and also have a reasonable base of rookies to build off of. As I mentioned before, this team is going to have more than one lean year IMO (lack of quality young players, bare cupboard, and possibly the uncertainty of the coaching situation). Quite honestly, in more ways than one, not making the playoffs may indeed be the best thing that would happen. Gaining playoff experience for the younger guy (guys ?) anyway isn't going to help for a long time....again IMO.
The elephant in the room is the same people that turned this franchise into what you see today are the same people running the ship going forward. The upcoming draft there are some real skilled players. This bunch of pretenders making the picks will screw the pooch again for sure. If you want cookie cutter players that fit the safe mold here get ready to see more of the same down the road. I would hazard a guess that some of the fourth liners here at the moment would struggle to put up decent points in Jr. B . We have seen it before where the Rangers sent players to the Dutchies and they were half way down the stat list at the end of the season.

Reactions: LordStanley1967

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Wouldn't missing the playoffs just mean that they'd end up keeping Rehkopf and pairing him with the '07 top 4 pick and then they'd never rebuild and the cycle continues?

Reactions: bobber

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For me, the final straw will be the coaching hire. Unless I see a robust and exhaustive search, I won't be on board. So help me if they hire one of the current assistants.

We talk about the fourth line, the drafting, etc. It's all part and parcel of the same thing: Laziness and not looking far enough. This organization locks in on known quantities and people with ties to the brass and in so doing, ignores a world of talent and ability beyond their comfort bubble.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I'll give this one an early "Ugh!", I don't think I have every watched a game where the Rangers are down 2-0 after 2 and I felt like they are not coming back. This one is a sleeper, and I mean even Hamilton looks sluggish.
I have to comment on my own comment just because this is funny. I noticed someone else felt the same way I did. When I looked for Ranger news, I noticed Josh Brown posted his last tweet after the 2nd period! LOL!

LordStanley1967

Apr 5, 2020
other teams develop their players. talking about Jr B - Hamilton has a hand of full signed players playing for the Kitty-bs - London has a hand full of players playing Jr B - so does windsor, Flint, Sarnia, they are signed, practiced with the OHL team, played games with them, and next year will step into the line up. Our 5 guys on the 4th line never play - they play few minutes, didn't develop. none look they will step up next year and put up 40 points - because they are all the same - north south - shoot the puck - even our top players do that - the safe no turn over, chip it in and chase and ... what do we have for next year

06 group
Longacre (if he comes) (D)
Carson McGurn (F) playing in the CCHL after a great u18 season - But u18 hockey is still kid hockey (HOPE he can make it as he might be a diamond in the rough for the rangers)
Daniel Thomakos (F) playing Jr B not doing to bad - on a bad welland team.
Roarke Gilmour (D) - has committed to Maine

the 05s
Lamanna (F)- playing Jr A for Georgetown - is doing well on a top team with limited ice time i assume
Koukouves (F)- playing Jr B for Fort Erie - have a decent season and getting better it seems
Macchione (F)- playing Jr B for Fort Erie -having a great season, but going NCAA and USHL next year
Pridham - (F) St andrews - going NCAA - have a great season at SAC

none of the 05 from the US national development team will come.

look at the players coming back for next season, look at the talent pool we have.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
other teams develop their players. talking about Jr B - Hamilton has a hand of full signed players playing for the Kitty-bs - London has a hand full of players playing Jr B - so does windsor, Flint, Sarnia, they are signed, practiced with the OHL team, played games with them, and next year will step into the line up. Our 5 guys on the 4th line never play - they play few minutes, didn't develop. none look they will step up next year and put up 40 points - because they are all the same - north south - shoot the puck - even our top players do that - the safe no turn over, chip it in and chase and ... what do we have for next year

06 group
Longacre (if he comes) (D)
Carson McGurn (F) playing in the CCHL after a great u18 season - But u18 hockey is still kid hockey (HOPE he can make it as he might be a diamond in the rough for the rangers)
Daniel Thomakos (F) playing Jr B not doing to bad - on a bad welland team.
Roarke Gilmour (D) - has committed to Maine

the 05s
Lamanna (F)- playing Jr A for Georgetown - is doing well on a top team with limited ice time i assume
Koukouves (F)- playing Jr B for Fort Erie - have a decent season and getting better it seems
Macchione (F)- playing Jr B for Fort Erie -having a great season, but going NCAA and USHL next year
Pridham - (F) St andrews - going NCAA - have a great season at SAC

none of the 05 from the US national development team will come.

look at the players coming back for next season, look at the talent pool we have.

Below is a list of next year's returning players from the present line-up as we currently stand.
Yes this will change, and I am not suggesting any particular line combinations here.
Also, I have inserted random place holders where there are unknowns.
You may adjust as you like. I just intend to show this for illustration purposes:

Martin (03) [OA] - Sop (03) [OA] - Pugliese (04)
Swick (04) - Rehkopf (05) - Bottineau (06)
Miseljevic (04) - Mercer (05) - IMPORT
(07) / FA / PDP - Morey (05) - (07) / FA / PDP

Hamara (04) IMPORT - Brzustewicz (04)
Andonovski (05) - Motew (03)
Scott (05) - (07) / FA / PDP
(07) / FA / PDP

Vandenberg (04)
Parsons (04)

Extra - Hollet (03) [OA]

Comments:

- FA = Free Agent
- PDP = Previously Drafted Player

- If Martin, for whatever reason does not return as an OA, insert Hollet.

- Trading Rehkopf and Brzustewicz as has been suggested is going to further weaken this already weak line-up....(how would it then compare to this season's Ice Dogs - a team this "loaded" Ranger team just barely beat last game ??).

- Up front the team is quite weak - especially the right side. There are various ways to address this - draft an import forward, trade a player to fill a given position (although that just further weakens another position), trade a lower pick for a marginal player.

- I would prefer that they don't roll the dice on so many high profile US players. This strategy has had only spotty success recently, and really says to me that the scouting staff has run out of ideas in the middle of the draft - i.e. unable to search out quality in the mid to late rounds like the scouting staff of other teams are capable of doing.

I am sure there are different views here, this is just mine.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Below is a list of next year's returning players from the present line-up as we currently stand.
Yes this will change, and I am not suggesting any particular line combinations here.
You may adjust as you like. I just intend to show this for illustration purposes:

(07) / FA / PDP

Vandenberg (04)
Parsons (04)

Extra - Hollet (03) [OA]

Comments:

- FA = Free Agent

- Trading Rehkopf and Brzustewicz as has been suggested is going to further weaken this already weak line-up....(how would it then compare to this season's Ice Dogs - a team this "loaded" Ranger team just barely beat last game ??).

- Up front the team is quite weak - especially the right side. There are various ways to address this - draft an import forward, trade a player to fill a given position (although that just further weakens another position), trade a lower pick for a marginal player.

- I would prefer that they don't roll the dice on so many high profile US players. This strategy has had only spotty success recently, and really says to me that the scouting staff has run out of ideas in the middle of the draft - i.e. unable to search out quality in the mid to late rounds like the scouting staff of other teams are capable of doing.

(07) / FA / PDP

Vandenberg (04)
Parsons (04)

Extra - Hollet (03) [OA]

Comments:

- FA = Free Agent

Good breakdown.

Going into next year, we’re going to be bad and it will get worse with the sell off. We have to sell off anything worth anything. Our draft pick cupboard is empty. Moving Brzustewicz and maybe Rehkopf a year early, is a given. But guys like Martin, Sop and Motew should bring something as well. All should be of varying value to teams trying to contend or at least to teams in the top half of the league. What they’d bring in trade to a team starving for draft capitol trumps what they’d bring as OA’s to this rebuild. Then, I’d keep Hollett as an OA with a couple cast off OA’s from around the league to round out the three spots.

As far as our other 04’s go, I listen to offers for Hamara. With added ice time, if he develops, he could be in demand. I mean, he played WJC as an 18 year old. That has to mean something. Parsons is the #1 and Swick will graduate to the top six. As far as Pugliese and Miseljevic go, I see them filling spots but to be honest, depending on the quality of youth we bring in, they could be moved out. It wouldn’t surprise me if they both cleared waivers and wound up in the Q. Vandenberg may be in that boat too. I think we have to get DiFelice on the roster. That means one of Parsons or Vandenberg have to go. There should be a trade market for Parsons but not so much for Vandenberg. If we decide to keep Parsons here for the duration (we can’t trade everyone), including as a very good OA in 24-25, then move out Vandenberg.

The next draft we have 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, and so on. I expect MM to use those first four picks on players who’ll report next year. NO FLYERS. We have a roster to fill. After that, I fully expect flyers on some of the remaining picks. Right or wrong, MM will gamble he can get at least one flyer to show up. I mean, for every mid to late round pick that turns into a player (ie. Sop, McHugh), there are dozens that don’t. Just as well to burn multiple picks in your bottom half on flyers I suppose.

To have a successful draft, you need to have 5+ players be OHL regulars. And I mean decent OHLers, not guys who wouldn’t make most other teams. For us to have a successful draft in April, with only four picks in the first four rounds, we have to get lucky in picks after the fourth round. I’m betting MM gambles on flyers to try and make that happen.

For me, I keep guys like Morey and Scott around to fill spots. They are a year younger than Pugliese /Miseljevic and there may be more upside.

Any training camp hopefuls, be they past draftees and or free agent invites, have to know that there are multiple spots open. That should translate into a competitive camp.

Also, MM and our scouting staff should be turning over every rock far and wide looking for the next Xhekaj / Yantsis calibre FA’s. The reason Florian chose Hamilton over Kitchener, assuming he had that choice, was because he knew he’d get more minutes there than with the deep lineup of the “contending” Rangers. We’ll be in a deep rebuild next year. Prospective FA’s may pick Kitchener over other teams for the same reason.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good breakdown.

Going into next year, we’re going to be bad and it will get worse with the sell off. We have to sell off anything worth anything. Our draft pick cupboard is empty. Moving Brzustewicz and maybe Rehkopf a year early, is a given. But guys like Martin, Sop and Motew should bring something as well. All should be of varying value to teams trying to contend or at least to teams in the top half of the league. What they’d bring in trade to a team starving for draft capitol trumps what they’d bring as OA’s to this rebuild. Then, I’d keep Hollett as an OA with a couple cast off OA’s from around the league to round out the three spots.

As far as our other 04’s go, I listen to offers for Hamara. With added ice time, if he develops, he could be in demand. I mean, he played WJC as an 18 year old. That has to mean something. Parsons is the #1 and Swick will graduate to the top six. As far as Pugliese and Miseljevic go, I see them filling spots but to be honest, depending on the quality of youth we bring in, they could be moved out. It wouldn’t surprise me if they both cleared waivers and wound up in the Q. Vandenberg may be in that boat too. I think we have to get DiFelice on the roster. That means one of Parsons or Vandenberg have to go. There should be a trade market for Parsons but not so much for Vandenberg. If we decide to keep Parsons here for the duration (we can’t trade everyone), including as a very good OA in 24-25, then move out Vandenberg.

The next draft we have 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, and so on. I expect MM to use those first four picks on players who’ll report next year. NO FLYERS. We have a roster to fill. After that, I fully expect flyers on some of the remaining picks. Right or wrong, MM will gamble he can get at least one flyer to show up. I mean, for every mid to late round pick that turns into a player (ie. Sop, McHugh), there are dozens that don’t. Just as well to burn multiple picks in your bottom half on flyers I suppose.

To have a successful draft, you need to have 5+ players be OHL regulars. And I mean decent OHLers, not guys who wouldn’t make most other teams. For us to have a successful draft in April, with only four picks in the first four rounds, we have to get lucky in picks after the fourth round. I’m betting MM gambles on flyers to try and make that happen.

For me, I keep guys like Morey and Scott around to fill spots. They are a year younger than Pugliese /Miseljevic and there may be more upside.

Any training camp hopefuls, be they past draftees and or free agent invites, have to know that there are multiple spots open. That should translate into a competitive camp.

Also, MM and our scouting staff should be turning over every rock far and wide looking for the next Xhekaj / Yantsis calibre FA’s. The reason Florian chose Hamilton over Kitchener, assuming he had that choice, was because he knew he’d get more minutes there than with the deep lineup of the “contending” Rangers. We’ll be in a deep rebuild next year. Prospective FA’s may pick Kitchener over other teams for the same reason.
Even in a nutshell this sounds like a jet circling KW and dumping fuel hoping like hell it can still land somewhere.:) Good points. I don't have much faith in MM and this scouting staff. The first two picks in the next draft should be a no brainer. Many say there is basically one defenseman that could go in the first the rest are forwards. Morey and Scott weren't drafted by the Rangers. I see potential in Scott. Morey seems more of a mid pack B player. I usually am wrong so who knows?

Last edited:

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Well, we're into the last week of February here.

1 month left in the season after this weekend or 15 games.

Owen Sound and The Soo on deck.

We are what we are. I don't see us moving up the standings.

Need a 4 point weekend. If Flint can't win a game here this weekend, that puts us at 55 and tied for 7th. 2 loses and a Soo win and OTL or 2 wins has us tied for 8th with them.

Ill be cheering but at this point, we've come all this way this season, we are what we are.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't have much faith in MM and this scouting staff. The first two picks in the next draft should be a no brainer. Many say there is basically one defenseman that could go in the first the rest are forwards. Morey and Scott weren't drafted by the Rangers. I see potential in Scott. Morey seems more of a mid pack B player. I usually am wrong so who knows?
I have a little faith in MM on the trade front. Not happy with the Zidlicky deal but his hand was forced. Early round drafting has been ok too. But I believe it’s the scouting staff that is suspect.

Who can blame MM for taking multiple flyers in the second half of the draft when his scouting staff cannot come up with any late round gems?

Reactions: bobber

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
We are all in agreement that Brzustewicz and Rehkopf will be traded next season. I just hope that Kitchener moves them December and on. The team will be significantly worse next year and if both players are traded off during the summer the team will be awful. I’d keep them around so season ticket holders renew their tickets. Plus with those two on the team then then they will still keep games somewhat competitive.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
We are all in agreement that Brzustewicz and Rehkopf will be traded next season. I just hope that Kitchener moves them December and on. The team will be significantly worse next year and if both players are traded off during the summer the team will be awful. I’d keep them around so season ticket holders renew their tickets. Plus with those two on the team then then they will still keep games somewhat competitive.

Imagine if one or both have serious ending injuries and you get nothing for them. Not a chance I’d take for a couple extra wins. And what if those wins cost you drafting 1st or 2nd overall and now you get 5th or 6th overall. The team needs to build a championship team. That’s done by making the correct moves and not worrying about your fan base. The correct move is to be horrible next year and get the most for all players you are trading off.

Mar 12, 2009
Lawrence could have at least saved himself 2minutes by wrangling Hollet and letting him have a chance to get the gloves off...jumping a guy doesn't give him a chance to earn his 5min major or 2min roughing minor. As it is, he mostly got 4 minutes for punching the ice.

That hit by Hollet is probably a boarding minor; it wasn't quite on the numbers, Barlow actually was turning which made it more from the side, when it would have been fully from behind otherwise. Still board or blind side minor I'd think.

Yet again we don't take advantage of a big break. Couldn't get control of the play in the offensive zone 1 time in a 3:45 PP.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I agree the scouting is suspect and I think MM probably was thinking the same. Last yr he wanted to get out from behind the bench and scout a lot of these players himself, hence why Chris Dennis was left hanging for so long.

Reactions: Gondrex

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Imagine if one or both have serious ending injuries and you get nothing for them. Not a chance I’d take for a couple extra wins. And what if those wins cost you drafting 1st or 2nd overall and now you get 5th or 6th overall. The team needs to build a championship team. That’s done by making the correct moves and not worrying about your fan base. The correct move is to be horrible next year and get the most for all players you are trading off.
The Rangers are horrible this year and went for it. MM has a hole to dig out of in the next couple of years. This along with a mediocre record drafting and developing solid OHL players. When you look at the Knights or Ottawa as examples they are in rebuild years. Doubt we ever see the Rangers in this position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad