Kitchener Rangers 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
They were done at 3-2. To have a 5-3 PP, not score then allow a goal right after?

Demoralizing.

There was a glimmer of hope with Rehkopf making it 4-3, but it was not to be.
And right after Rehkopf scored in the 3rd, Onuska suddenly had issues...not saying he didn't....but that cooled off the Rangers momentum for sure. The backbreaker was that fluke bounce off the top of the net that could have bounced in any direction but instead, bounced right out in front and boom.....goal....5-3. That's hockey.

I'm not sure why MM didn't put a checking line against Johnston's line. Instead, it was top line against top line. It would have left Pinelli and company more time to focus on scoring instead of containing. Also, I thought the Windsor D (older and more experienced) did a much better job this game. Something that Rangers D had issues doing...especially in the 2nd.

HEY.......Windsor is built for this year......Rangers are not. Absolutely, playoffs have been a great lesson and eye opener for the Rangers. I'm not saying it's over...but coming back 3 games to beat the Spits is a mighty tall mountain to climb.

And besides, punching London's ticket to the golf course in the first round was a very enjoyable experience for this Rangers fan!......

Reactions: stips

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Kitchener Rangers Spring Camp opens this Friday, May 13 to Sunday, May 15 at The Aud!

Rangers’ newly drafted prospects from the 2022 OHL Priority Selection, 2022 U-18 Priority Selection, previous OHL Priority Selections, as well as free agent invites, will be in attendance at the three-day camp.

Players will practice, as well as play intra-squad games as members of Team White and Team Blue. All practices and games are open to the public and have free admission.

PRACTICE/GAME SCHEDULE:

Friday, May 13

6:00pm PRACTICE- White @ The Aud
7:00pm PRACTICE- Blue @ The Aud

Saturday, May 14

9:30am GAME- Blue vs White @ The Aud
5:30pm GAME- Blue vs White @ The Aud

Sunday, April 21

9:30am GAME-Blue vs White @ The Aud

TheAud

Jan 30, 2022
Cambridge, ON
Yep. Just heard MM on Mike's radio show this morning. MM said 35 players coming to Kitchener for camp this weekend beginning today consisting of drafted prospects ('05 & '06's) and free agents. They are holding fitness testing, practices and scrimmage games at the Aud. The Rangers had prospects at the game 6 win vs. London and again at the game last night.

Has to be an advantage for the Rangers to have the new families see and skate at the big rink and not the offseason rink because the team is still playing. Could be good for the future.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Overlooked in the OHL draft......

It would be great having him on the team but I think he will be hard pressed to make it as an 04.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Michael Hage is on the camp roster.

Is Hage on the ice or just there on paper?

It would be great having him on the team but I think he will be hard pressed to make it as an 04.

Big kid that's scoring in the GO but I wouldn't expect history to repeat, much as I'd like to see it. Arber's GWG to sweep the Steelheads was great to see and gives one pause to wonder what might have been ... as obvious as it was our time to sell.

I'm not saying it's over...but coming back 3 games to beat the Spits is a mighty tall mountain to climb.

We'll have to come out flying for 60 minutes and catch a bounce or two today, then try again at home ... or not. Without the naps in the 2nd frames we've played a much better team well.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Big kid that's scoring in the GO but I wouldn't expect history to repeat, much as I'd like to see it. Arber's GWG to sweep the Steelheads was great to see and gives one pause to wonder what might have been ... as obvious as it was our time to sell.
I dream of the year it could have been with Arber, Sebrango and Vuk holding down the fort. And Bergkvist and Ville as a supporting cast. That might have been one of the greatest 6 packs ever! (Your choice for the 6th)

Reactions: K2

TheAud

Jan 30, 2022
Cambridge, ON
From the Rangers Instagram account....17 in white on the bench. Looks like Michael Hage is truly getting the Kitchener experience.

Attachments

• IMG_6043.PNG
    IMG_6043.PNG
    570.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: K2

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I dream of the year it could have been with Arber, Sebrango and Vuk holding down the fort. And Bergkvist and Ville as a supporting cast. That might have been one of the greatest 6 packs ever! (Your choice for the 6th)

What might have been? Here’s what might have been for the Rangers if not for Covid.

Now that it seems Covid delays may be a thing of the past, here’s a look at how Covid has affected our team negatively from the suspension of the 19-20 season onwards:

We went all in, in 19-20. After spending huge assets to go on a deep run,
(IN: Liam Hawel, Serron Noel, Jacob Ingham, Holden Wale. OUT: Ryan Stepien. 2nd x 5. 3rd x 6. 5th x 2. 6th x 1. 8th x 1), it was all for not. The season was cancelled. We lost what should have been a great post season. We lost a ton of talent due to graduation putting us directly into a rebuild mode.

Had there been a 20-21 season, Donovan Sebrango doesn’t get a chance to play in the AHL as an underager and Ville Ottavainen plays in Kitchener instead of Europe. Also, based on his 20-21 season in the pros (1 AHL GP. 13 ECHL GP), Jacob Ingham likely plays his OA season in Kitchener. Since we were hit hard by graduation after the 19-20 season, there was a decent chance we sell off graduating assets at the 2021 deadline. Micheal Vukojevic and Ingham would have been in demand and should have brought significant assets.

With the ruling that underage players with 20 or more games played in the 20-21 AHL season, could play AHL this year, we lost the services of Donovan Sebrango for the 21-22 season. Had he been a Ranger this year, MM, with a freshly stocked cupboard with the presumed selling of Vukojevic and Ingham, may have found the Rangers in a position to contend. Especially since Ottavainen (4th ‘21 Seattle) would have still been here too. But, if we were in sell mode at the deadline, we could have moved these guys as well along with the selling of Xhekaj and McDonnell.

In any event, our 21-22 defence out of camp would have been:
Sebrango (Det)
Xhekaj (Mtl)
Ottavainen (Sea)
Schmidt (TB)
Motew
J LeBlanc
Andonovski.

Perhaps we still bring in Harper to round out the bottom pairing on D.

That D alone tells me we contend. Use the assets recouped by moving Vukojevic and Ingham the previous deadline to bolster the forwards and we’re all good.

Petizian-Pinelli-McDonnell

Valade-Serpa-Martin

Rehkopf-Sop-A LeBlanc

Mercer-Zidlicky-Swick

Sebrango-Xhekaj
Ottavainen-Schmidt
Motew-Harper
J LeBlanc-Andonovski

Cajan
Parsons

We likely don’t trade for Hollett. We may not have have signed Pugliese or Miseljevic mid season. We likely don’t trade for Nolet. With Sebrango and Ottavainen on the roster, we may have gone to a forward to fill the 3rd OA spot. Maybe we’re in on Cody Morgan, Emmett Sproule or Joe Carroll.

Once you bring in an OA F and a top six forward, that lineup above would have been one of the best in the league I’m thinking.

I’m sure there are other teams who were hit just as hard as we were by Covid. But I’m just as sure that there were a lot who were not.

So at the end of the day Covid cost the Rangers a bunch of draft picks that we were unable to recoup plus probably two contending seasons. (19-20 and 21-22)

Of course, you know what they say about “ifs” and “buts”.

Last edited:
Reactions: flamebird and K2

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
What might have been? Here’s what might have been for the Rangers if not for Covid.

Now that it seems Covid delays may be a thing of the past, here’s a look at how Covid has affected our team negatively from the suspension of the 19-20 season onwards:

We went all in, in 19-20. After spending huge assets to go on a deep run,
(IN: Liam Hawel, Serron Noel, Jacob Ingham, Holden Wale. OUT: Ryan Stepien. 2nd x 5. 3rd x 6. 5th x 2. 6th x 1. 8th x 1), it was all for not. The season was cancelled. We lost what should have been a great post season. We lost a ton of talent due to graduation putting us directly into a rebuild mode.

Had there been a 20-21 season, Donovan Sebrango doesn’t get a chance to play in the AHL as an underager and Ville Ottavainen plays in Kitchener instead of Europe. Also, based on his 20-21 season in the pros (1 AHL GP. 13 ECHL GP), Jacob Ingham likely plays his OA season in Kitchener. Since we were hit hard by graduation after the 19-20 season, there was a decent chance we sell off graduating assets at the 2021 deadline. Micheal Vukojevic and Ingham would have been in demand and should have brought significant assets.

With the ruling that underage players with 20 or more games played in the 20-21 AHL season, could play AHL this year, we lost the services of Donovan Sebrango for the 21-22 season. Had he been a Ranger this year, MM, with a freshly stocked cupboard with the presumed selling of Vukojevic and Ingham, may have found the Rangers in a position to contend. Especially since Ottavainen (4th ‘21 Seattle) would have still been here too. But, if we were in sell mode at the deadline, we could have moved these guys as well along with the selling of Xhekaj and McDonnell.

In any event, our 21-22 defence out of camp would have been:
Sebrango (Det)
Xhekaj (Mtl)
Ottavainen (Sea)
Schmidt (TB)
Motew
J LeBlanc
Andonovski.

Perhaps we still bring in Harper to round out the bottom pairing on D.

That D alone tells me we contend. Use the assets recouped by moving Vukojevic and Ingham the previous deadline to bolster the forwards and we’re all good.

Petizian-Pinelli-McDonnell

Valade-Serpa-Martin

Rehkopf-Sop-A LeBlanc

Mercer-Zidlicky-Swick

Sebrango-Xhekaj
Ottavainen-Schmidt
Motew-Harper
J LeBlanc-Andonovski

Cajan
Parsons

We likely don’t trade for Hollett. We may not have have signed Pugliese or Miseljevic mid season. We likely don’t trade for Nolet. With Sebrango and Ottavainen on the roster, we may have gone to a forward to fill the 3rd OA spot. Maybe we’re in on Cody Morgan, Emmett Sproule or Joe Carroll.

Once you bring in an OA F and a top six forward, that lineup above would have been one of the best in the league I’m thinking.

I’m sure there are other teams who were hit just as hard as we were by Covid. But I’m just as sure that there were a lot who were not.

So at the end of the day Covid cost the Rangers a bunch of draft picks that we were unable to recoup plus probably two contending seasons. (19-20 and 21-22)

Of course, you know what they say about “ifs” and “buts”.

Yes, that too. :)

CasualStats

Apr 27, 2022
Sucks to see but what a year it was.

I know some people will eulogize the team, talk about what would have happened if they kept X and Deck.

I love that this team post deadline found an identity. Went on a bit of a run. Everyone coming back will be better for this.

Anything after the 2 home dates in the 1st series was a bonus and they got game 6 VS London, and the 2 games VS Windsor, almost a 3rd.

For a team that was at one point almost on the outs looking in during the dog days of the season, they exceeded all expectations.

Man, Ill always remember game 7 in London this year. Nobody can take that away from us.

Rest up Rangers Nation, September will be here sooner then we think.

And next season, is going to be a long, fun, grind of a season!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I enjoyed spring camp at the Aud yesterday morning. Even more so without Rangers players in the mix. It gave more opportunity for the prospects to show their stuff. Yes, Hage is at camp and is fun to watch. I'm hoping that he will sign. We'll see.

Luca Difelice (G and Rnd 4 pick) is big and steady...another good one in the goalie mill. Terrence (D and Rnd 6 pick) would be a nice add to the D.

And yes, a Xhekaj was on the ice albeit on forward and like his brother, has lots of grit and indeed, was always in the action. I noted that he scored the goal in the 2nd game (I wasn't there) to tie up the game. I know he's a 05 but I can't help but see him on the team wreaking havoc with the opposition. He even "accidentally" bumps opposing players as he passes by them. Gee, I wonder who else did that......? We'll see how he does this morning. Never say never.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
My hope next year is to see a big improvement in the Southern Tier Admiral trio that used up the very valuable top 3 Ranger draft selection slots in 2020.
We saw lots of improvement in Jacob Leblanc this season. As a rookie, he really settled in nicely and is going to be quite valuable this coming season. Brother Andrew just didn't have the season many expected (including me) and one can only hope that he can put it behind him and bring it in 2022-2023. As for Swick, he showed us what he can be in the playoffs. He will only be better in the season to come.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Good to hear that Luca Difelice has impressed. This past season has proven just how important good goaltending is - especially in the playoffs. Great job by the Ranger puck-stoppers.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Yes, Hage is at camp and is fun to watch. I'm hoping that he will sign. We'll see.
Let's hope so, it's very encouraging that he's here.

I'd take a flyer on FlorianX and at least hand him an invite to main camp today for a closer look against roster talent, if he's on a trajectory to be OHL material. Arber, ... & Yantsis, were great, hard working FA guys to have around well before they started contributing.
My hope next year is to see a big improvement in the Southern Tier Admiral trio
MM will set high expectations on departure day and they'll get their homework. Jacob and Trent are on track IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad