Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I hear you. I'd rather talk hockey too. But we're in the doldrums of the off season.

But what's to talk about? We've already done the "what's the lines for next year" and "whats the D pairings for next year" and "buy or sell this year" etc etc.

I agree, I'm not wishing away the summer. But I am looking forward to training camp

And there's something to talk about, Even. Is there even a remote chance that an invite to Rangers training camp has a chance to get on the team? We've seen the "whose on what line" for this season and there didn't seem to be any room if any for other players.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
And there's something to talk about, Even. Is there even a remote chance that an invite to Rangers training camp has a chance to get on the team? We've seen the "whose on what line" for this season and there didn't seem to be any room if any for other players.
we all had Peterson penciled in for more minutes last year, then Xhekaj came in and took the spot. it’s not whether they are available, more like will someone come in and make it impossible for MM and staff to say no

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Disposable income matters so much. It's the difference between someone going out once or twice a week and someone going out once a month. You've just mentioned housing prices. Even if your mortgage is $225,000 instead of $450,000 (which is around the average cost a home in KW, ignoring down payments and interest rates), the difference between $55,000 (take home pay around $42,000 ignoring deductions) and $80,000 (take home pay $60,000 ignoring deductions) is massive. You're not saving $18,000 a year on a mortgage in the Soo versus KW at these income levels. Everything else living related will be as or more expensive in the Soo due to the distance from supply chains.

And regardless, even if I wasn't disputing this, your argument that things are cheaper in the Soo (which I don't agree with beyond land, which is cheap because the demand is much lower) supports my argument that there is a reason that concessions are cheaper. The base cost of these items in both locations are roughly the same, probably a little higher in Sault St. Marie, but in Kitchener they can afford to charge higher markups while in the Soo they can't. I don't know the numbers behind the concessions at the Rangers game but it most be profitable enough. And although I don't live full-time in the city anymore, I still go to several games a year and the concessions seem as busy as any other arena. Maybe even busier because the concourse at the Aud is so undersized.

I don't see why people keep thinking this is off-topic. The business of the Rangers is still on-topic to a Rangers off-season thread. Not everything has to be about the product on the ice.

The difference is actually $14000 per year for 30 years for 4.5% interest. We just used arbitrary numbers, but it's pretty close to your $18000 figure. Food and entertainment is actually far cheaper as well, as evidenced by this discussion.

You missed the original point again, however. To me, it's not about people willing to pay concession costs. I know that I would not appreciate a 3rd party taking my money at a game when the team is capable of providing the same service for far less. I'd prefer that the money goes back to the team/city no matter where I live.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
we all had Peterson penciled in for more minutes last year, then Xhekaj came in and took the spot. it’s not whether they are available, more like will someone come in and make it impossible for MM and staff to say no
One player that seems to be forgotten about is Dakota Betts. I'm sure he'll get a long look in camp and maybe even start the season with the Rangers. This could open up a possibility of a trade either him or other depth pieces.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
One player that seems to be forgotten about is Dakota Betts. I'm sure he'll get a long look in camp and maybe even start the season with the Rangers. This could open up a possibility of a trade either him or other depth pieces.

Also, I had hoped that they could work things out with Eric Guest, billets, management, etc. but obviously that will not be happening. I had a gut feeling that he would have been most-improved player of the year this year.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The difference is actually $14000 per year for 30 years for 4.5% interest. We just used arbitrary numbers, but it's pretty close to your $18000 figure. Food and entertainment is actually far cheaper as well, as evidenced by this discussion.

You missed the original point again, however. To me, it's not about people willing to pay concession costs. I know that I would not appreciate a 3rd party taking my money at a game when the team is capable of providing the same service for far less. I'd prefer that the money goes back to the team/city no matter where I live.

The actual difference would be much lower than that. Under $10,000, likely closer to $5,000 depending on the down payment and tax rebates. Just because the arena isn’t marking up concessions to the same degree as southern cities doesn’t mean that things outside the arena are cheaper. I’ve spent enough time in Northern Ontario to know the grocery stores tend to be more expensive for every day items.

I don’t see what point I missed. My argument all along was that dropping concession prices isn’t likely to make a difference in sales, and that the reason places like the Soo charge less has little to do with a better business model and everything to do with what price is appropriate in the circumstance.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Also, I had hoped that they could work things out with Eric Guest, billets, management, etc. but obviously that will not be happening. I had a gut feeling that he would have been most-improved player of the year this year.

Difficult situation with Guest. At the end of the day, he'll likely have a more enjoyable and less stressful season in Caledonia.

But truth be told, he and Yantsis looked to me to have elevated their games during the first few weeks of last season. I thought both could have breakout seasons.

One did. One didn't. Such is life.

Here's hoping he can have a very good year at the lower level and turn it into a ticket to the CIS and a good education- if that's his goal.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
at this point i’m sure he’s looking at NCAA options too, if that’s the case he will only stay for the 48 hour limit

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener

Neither the Rangers or the City are in the concession business. Those who run the concessions bid on a contract that pays a fee to the City to sell their products.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

What we could discuss is what additions need to be made to this team should we contend this year.

So far, I'm willing to wait the first couple months of the season to see where our defence stands. If Berkqvist comes in and plays like a veteran top 4 defenceman, then maybe we do not have to make a big addition there.

But as far as the forward group looks, I think it's safe to say we would like to add one veteran top six forward. Somewhere between now and the deadline. What type of top 6 forward would we be looking for?

I'm not in favour of emptying the cupboard of assets to bring in a high-end forward. A Hayton or someone like that would cost us a ton (though he'd be great here). If we were going to spend to that extent, I would rather that player be an 01 birth. But we could get a 00 birth top six forward for a reasonable cost, I'm all for it. It would allow us to drop Petizian down to form a strong third line with Valade and Langdon.

My top six would then be Meireles, Yantsis, Damiani, Garreffa, Stepien and the acquired F.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhSheila

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
don’t know if this was mentioned earlier but Simon Motew was named to the USA U17 Team for the Five Nations tournament in August. had 5 points in 5 games at the camp. I believe the camp includes top American-born players minus the USDP players

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Nowadays, I like the fact that I can get together with an old friend at a hockey game and enjoy a brew at my seat while watching the game. I find that I am often working on that same drink at the end of the period. Growing old does have it's advantages! LOL!

That's me too & I've always lived close enough to walk. I think waybackwhen the beer crowd in my section opted for the 'BeeLineClub' (...direct to the parking lot) instead of the BlueLineClub aka 'BigLineClub'. I still see the odd person who has had too many dosed off/ushered out but nothing like when 'legal beer' was a new thing ... or @ the '08 Mem Cup when it seemed like my whole row carefully brought 3 back after each intermission!

Is there even a remote chance that an invite to Rangers training camp has a chance to get on the team?

Back up goaltender might be the best slot with an opportunity for a standout draftee or surprise stud FA to get on the roster. If there's no pro departures and the Euro draftees come over, it's going to be a tall order to make the team with a couple+ 2018-19 skaters probably on the 'bubble' for press box reserve, assignment or whatever.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
That's me too & I've always lived close enough to walk. I think waybackwhen the beer crowd in my section opted for the 'BeeLineClub' (...direct to the parking lot) instead of the BlueLineClub aka 'BigLineClub'. I still see the odd person who has had too many dosed off/ushered out but nothing like when 'legal beer' was a new thing ... or @ the '08 Mem Cup when it seemed like my whole row carefully brought 3 back after each intermission!

Back up goaltender might be the best slot with an opportunity for a standout draftee or surprise stud FA to get on the roster. If there's no pro departures and the Euro draftees come over, it's going to be a tall order to make the team with a couple+ 2018-19 skaters probably on the 'bubble' for press box reserve, assignment or whatever.

one that’s interesting to me and doesn’t really get talked about is the Carter Tresoor. went home early with that seemingly extensive concussion he got. played 26 games and put up 0’s across the board but showed glimpses of what could be a decent 4th liner. but with the amount of guys returning and a steady amount coming in, there’s got to be some thought of parting ways there too. I’ve said it earlier before a few times now that there has to be at least a little bit of production on the 4th line. all we got for most of last season was from Langdon but most of his points came on the powerplay and earlier on when he was playing on the 3rd

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
one that’s interesting to me and doesn’t really get talked about is the Carter Tresoor. went home early with that seemingly extensive concussion he got. played 26 games and put up 0’s across the board but showed glimpses of what could be a decent 4th liner. but with the amount of guys returning and a steady amount coming in, there’s got to be some thought of parting ways there too. I’ve said it earlier before a few times now that there has to be at least a little bit of production on the 4th line. all we got for most of last season was from Langdon but most of his points came on the powerplay and earlier on when he was playing on the 3rd

Dickerson I think is in the same boat. I'd have Tresoor one step ahead of him based on his physicality. But both may have trouble cracking the top 12.

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
one that’s interesting to me and doesn’t really get talked about is the Carter Tresoor. went home early with that seemingly extensive concussion he got. played 26 games and put up 0’s across the board but showed glimpses of what could be a decent 4th liner.

As a Siskins rookie playing well on a strong JrB team he seemed to have the tools and be on a good trajectory to earn a spot on a rebuilding Ranger team that didn't always have a full set of skaters but he failed to tally a point or always play at the level despite notable effort. Hope he made some strides forward over the Summer.

(Dakota Betts) ... at this point i’m sure he’s looking at NCAA options too, if that’s the case he will only stay for the 48 hour limit

Given he'd be attending College in September (?) and currently not declared or signed (already) suggests he wasn't recruited by NCAA schools to play hockey. Anything's possibly but ...

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Dickerson I think is in the same boat. I'd have Tresoor one step ahead of him based on his physicality. But both may have trouble cracking the top 12.
As a Siskins rookie playing well on a strong JrB team he seemed to have the tools and be on a good trajectory to earn a spot on a rebuilding Ranger team that didn't always have a full set of skaters but he failed to tally a point or always play at the level despite notable effort. Hope he made some strides forward over the Summer.

Given he'd be attending College in September (?) and currently not declared or signed (already) suggests he wasn't recruited by NCAA schools to play hockey. Anything's possibly but ...

I’d put Meireles, Garreffa, Yantsis, Damiani, Stepien, Petizian, Valade, Langdon, McDonnell, Pinelli, Serpa all above them. leaves 1 spot. still think there will be another trade for a forward but if not it will be between them i’m assuming. I personally think either or could make the argument for the 12th, but the fact is that Dickerson was in the important games down the stretch while Tresoor was home with the injury would put him ahead for me. Tresoor hasn’t played a game since what December? gonna take time to get back into it

for Betts, victory lap possibility, lots of guys wait the extra year. still could see him at camp but it’s already right for spots and with presumably 8 signed d men coming into camp

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
also looks like we’re still gonna be waiting a bit on the Pinelli signing unless they get something done in the next couple days. the national U17 camp starts July 19th in Calgary and is about a week long

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Josh Brown mentions Tresoor "isn't expected" this season while Matt Gordon is invited to camp & Alex Peterson has 'moved on'.

MM reportedly showing more optimism on the Euro draftees too: "Barring any major complications, we expect those guys to be here in late August".

More about Pinelli's curious imminent/holdout situation, etc ->
Kitchener Rangers waiting on Francesco Pinelli

Not good hearing about Tresoor. Now it doesnt say he isn't expected due to concussion, but I would suspect that is the case. Health comes first, hockey 2nd. Wish him the best.

Now Pinelli situation isn't necessarily a holdout. It was said they sent the contract 2 weeks ago but the family was about to go on vacation. Read into it what you may.

And I love that both imports may be here. That would give us a strong D corp.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not good hearing about Tresoor. Now it doesnt say he isn't expected due to concussion, but I would suspect that is the case. Health comes first, hockey 2nd. Wish him the best.

Now Pinelli situation isn't necessarily a holdout. It was said they sent the contract 2 weeks ago but the family was about to go on vacation. Read into it what you may.

The Pinelli thing is starting to bug me. I didn't read the article, but "not necessarily a hold out" makes me wonder. Are they holding out for a way better education package for the brother? Are they still exploring NCAA possibilities? Or do they have the mentality that "we are in the driver's seat" so they want to call the shots and they'll sign "when they are damn good and ready, don't tell us what to do" etc etc. If this is the case, could this be a "problem" player/family?

Not accusing, just asking.

The fact he's still not signed gives people reason to start wondering.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLFan1995

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The Pinelli thing is starting to bug me. I didn't read the article, but "not necessarily a hold out" makes me wonder. Are they holding out for a way better education package for the brother? Are they still exploring NCAA possibilities? Or do they have the mentality that "we are in the driver's seat" so they want to call the shots and they'll sign "when they are damn good and ready, don't tell us what to do" etc etc. If this is the case, could this be a "problem" player/family?

Not accusing, just asking.

The fact he's still not signed gives people reason to start wondering.

I sure hope none of that is true and that now that the contracts are in their hands, signing will come soon...meaning before this U17 camp on the 19th. Otherwise, agreed. It does make you wonder.

I've been feeling good about the imports coming here for a while now. Add Motew (now on the US Under 17 Select Team ) onto the D corps and that back end is looking really skilled and strong.

With Tresoor not coming back, there just might be a spot to be had at camp. If our OAs return with a vengence, which I think they will, our 02s step up (Langdon, Valade, Serpa), and Ingham shuts the door, this could be a truly fun and interesting season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
with the Tresoor news, I still think the top 11 forwards are locked. we don’t know what Declan McDonnell is yet. I am however under the assumption that he didn’t give up his NCAA commitment to come play on an OHL 4th line in his NHL draft year. my guess is that Garreffa goes up to the top line with Damiani and Stepien & the Petizian-Meireles-Yantsis line stays together. Valade will RW the 3rd line. Langdon and McDonnell are both centres. McDonnell is a right shot so they probably don’t want him on the left wing. Langdon is the type of centre that you want to be taking faceoffs and playing down low in his own end. do they split the 3C role (ie Langdon takes faceoffs on his strong side and McDonnell takes them on his side and whoever took it plays centre for that shift)

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

I was talking to someone in his circle today and what I heard was he's been very limited to what he can do. Has to spend 99% of his time in doors. Career might be done.

If that's the case I feel horrible for the kid. When I was working in the GOJHL all we heard was how much of a work horse this kid is. The time and effort he puts in to get better. Hope he gets better

Reactions: K2 and BenchedGuy

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I sure hope none of that is true and that now that the contracts are in their hands, signing will come soon...meaning before this U17 camp on the 19th. Otherwise, agreed. It does make you wonder.

I've been feeling good about the imports coming here for a while now. Add Motew (now on the US Under 17 Select Team ) onto the D corps and that back end is looking really skilled and strong.

With Tresoor not coming back, there just might be a spot to be had at camp. If our OAs return with a vengence, which I think they will, our 02s step up (Langdon, Valade, Serpa), and Ingham shuts the door, this could be a truly fun and interesting season.

I have a hard time believing the Rangers only just now sent a contract for Pinelli to sign. I'm betting that there's been hard negotiations ongoing ever since the draft. Various 1st rounders around the league signed shortly after the draft. Motew signed not long after the rookie camp. Why not Pinelli?

Again, the fact he hasn't signed yet leads me to believe there are issues. Maybe not major issues, but issues nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad