Kitchener Rangers 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Tonight's win moves the Rangers to 19-5-3-1 (.750) without Bracco over the last two seasons, so fans worrying about what might become of the team if and when he's moved can perhaps take some solace. (Unfortunately most of that time without Bracco came with other teams' stars away as well, but I do think this hints at some of the Rangers' depth.)

For reference, the Rangers are 46-24-3-2 (.647) with Bracco in the lineup.

You have to remember Rangers were five players short against Erie. Two top D out for the year. One out suspended plus no Bracco. Rangers have three 16 year olds and three 17 year old rookies. Rangers aren't doing too bad. Richardson played a good game tonight. Guelph got away with a couple of dirty hits but we expect that. Smith turned bonehead in the third. Tried to come through the alley in back and get after Henderson. Burghart gets auto 3 games abuse of official. Smith will likely be gone also. 5-2 win Rangers.

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Givani Smith

Huge thanks to Givani Smith for his contributions to the Rangers win tonight. He was a huge help in getting those 2 points. :handclap:

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Rangers were clearly the better team tonight and deserved the win. Purely as a matter of interest, was there ever any acknowledgement from the OHL about whether it considered the disputed goal in the December 17 game to have been a mistake to have allowed? Many posters were adamant that it should not have counted.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Rangers were clearly the better team tonight and deserved the win. Purely as a matter of interest, was there ever any acknowledgement from the OHL about whether it considered the disputed goal in the December 17 game to have been a mistake to have allowed? Many posters were adamant that it should not have counted.
None what we've heard of.
Maybe the league reviewed and thought it was a good goal?
I'm still on the side that it was the wrong call. Also, since it didn't really affect the game per se, maybe the league didn't delve into too deeply?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Huge thanks to Givani Smith for his contributions to the Rangers win tonight. He was a huge help in getting those 2 points. :handclap:
Like clockwork with him, great talent but mush for brains. Surprisingly, with his antics I really thought the Storm would honour him by allowing him to wear No.17. As per Michael Latta. Both were cut from the same cloth!

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
None what we've heard of.
Maybe the league reviewed and thought it was a good goal?
I'm still on the side that it was the wrong call. Also, since it didn't really affect the game per se, maybe the league didn't delve into too deeply?

Two empty net goals in a 5-2 game and it didn't affect the outcome?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Bracco is proving his worth in the WJC. Any team wanting him better be ready to pony up. One of the best junior players in the world at the moment. Hope Murray is up to this at the deadline.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Agreed Bobber, just does not seem to be a year for multiple bidders for a player like Bracco. Lots of speculating but would not be surprised if he stays put.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed Bobber, just does not seem to be a year for multiple bidders for a player like Bracco. Lots of speculating but would not be surprised if he stays put.

Agreed. Not a lot of teams have the assets he would command. Rather see Murray stick to his guns than give him to an opposing team for nothing. Guess we will know if there are any deals in a few days. I really only care about what is good for the Rangers. Could care less about helping out any other franchise. Reading Gilmores article in the Kingston Whig he says there are a lot of OA's in the league and not much of a market. This can put a damper on moving these older players.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agreed. Not a lot of teams have the assets he would command. Rather see Murray stick to his guns than give him to an opposing team for nothing. Guess we will know if there are any deals in a few days. I really only care about what is good for the Rangers. Could care less about helping out any other franchise. Reading Gilmores article in the Kingston Whig he says there are a lot of OA's in the league and not much of a market. This can put a damper on moving these older players.

I don't think anyone expects MH to let Bracco go "for nothing", but if he is faced with moving him for a bit less than we all expect on here, what does he do? Should he dig in his heels and refuse to move him at all or should he take what he can get? And nobody with a grain of sense expects "what he can get" to be a 2nd rounder or a secondary player.

But if he can't get any other deal done than the one LoneRanger said Windsor offered, I'd be accepting that deal. Better to have those assets going forward as opposed to refusing to trade him at all.

As you said bobber, what is good for the Rangers.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Erie is still kicking alot of tires...i'm expecting them to make one more deal.

Speaking of kicking tires...hearing Heibert has inquired about Drake Rymsha and Ryan Orban in Ottawa...Kingston's Liam Murray

The above from LoneRanger on the rangersrush board.

Is it me or is MH looking to make this year's team better? Can he be contemplating keeping Bracco and go on a run by bringing in veteran help on the back end with Hall and Blaisdell out? It wouldn't surprise me one bit considering the play of Opilka lately.

Or, he could be still attempting to move Bracco, and bring in 2 or 3 of these guys to give us a shot at winning a round this year and helping out next year's team as well. Both d-men are '97 born but would be good OA possibilities and Rymsha is a '98. I hope this is the case. This is exactly what I was talking about doing when I said I was in favor of moving both OA d-men - bring in guys who can be around next year in their places.

Both these d-men have size and Rymsha has grit. That is what we've been lacking on this club. The d-men were 2nd and 3rd rounders in this league and may be late bloomers. Much like former 2nd rounder DiPerna has been a pleasant surprise this year.

We'll see.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
Erie is still kicking alot of tires...i'm expecting them to make one more deal.

Speaking of kicking tires...hearing Heibert has inquired about Drake Rymsha and Ryan Orban in Ottawa...Kingston's Liam Murray

The above from LoneRanger on the rangersrush board.

Is it me or is MH looking to make this year's team better? Can he be contemplating keeping Bracco and go on a run by bringing in veteran help on the back end with Hall and Blaisdell out? It wouldn't surprise me one bit considering the play of Opilka lately.

Or, he could be still attempting to move Bracco, and bring in 2 or 3 of these guys to give us a shot at winning a round this year and helping out next year's team as well. Both d-men are '97 born but would be good OA possibilities and Rymsha is a '98. I hope this is the case. This is exactly what I was talking about doing when I said I was in favor of moving both OA d-men - bring in guys who can be around next year in their places.

Both these d-men have size and Rymsha has grit. That is what we've been lacking on this club. The d-men were 2nd and 3rd rounders in this league and may be late bloomers. Much like former 2nd rounder DiPerna has been a pleasant surprise this year.

We'll see.

Why is Rymsha home and not with 67s? Was he released from team?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
In a many cases, it's tough to get some 16-17 year olds to waive their no trade clauses. Also, it pretty tough to get one to waive it if they are already playing in a desirable location (London or especially Windsor this year for example).

So if Murray is unable to get a Bracco deal done for this reason, perhaps he settles for the next best thing - a deal where a very high 2017 2nd round pick is part of the deal. People on here talked about a deal with Missy involving Hague coming this way. Initially, due to Hague's age, I was saying no way. But if the current draft database is correct, Missy currently holds Guelph's 2017 2nd rounder. As it stands now, Guelph is destined to miss the playoffs. That makes that pick one of the most valuable ones on the board. Based on today's standings, #23 overall - almost a 1st rounder.

Under the above circumstances, a deal with Missy wouldn't look so bad after all. Of course as a part of discussions, you lament the fact the Missy won't/can't send you an elite 2000 or 1999. In return you say, extra picks need to go Kitchener's way.

Would Rangers fans be so upset if Murray sent Bracco to Missy for Hague and, say 2nd rounders in '17, '18, '19? Toss in multiple 3rds and 4ths. Would that be so bad if guys like the big time 1999's and 2000's on contending teams are unavailable?

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
He asked to be traded and is home waiting.

So the rumour in London is he was traded because he was a problem and now he's asked for a trade out of Ottawa. Sounds like a red flag to me. Hope the Rangers do their research and not take on a player as a favour to someone in the org.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
So the rumour in London is he was traded because he was a problem and now he's asked for a trade out of Ottawa. Sounds like a red flag to me. Hope the Rangers do their research and not take on a player as a favour to someone in the org.

a problem? That would be incorrect he was traded same reason Gleason and Nother were they wanted and deserved more ice time this is the reason for being him being traded :facepalm:

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
a problem? That would be incorrect he was traded same reason Gleason and Nother were they wanted and deserved more ice time this is the reason for being him being traded :facepalm:

Well that's not what I've been told. I'm not going to repeat it on here. All I'm saying is truth or not I hope our GM does his research. Don't you think it's odd that a player asks for a trade over ice time and now has asked for another one?

Mayday3*

Well that's not what I've been told. I'm not going to repeat it on here. All I'm saying is truth or not I hope our GM does his research. Don't you think it's odd that a player asks for a trade over ice time and now has asked for another one?

You're super secret source lied to you then, my friend

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
You're super secret source lied to you then, my friend

"Sources" ... I don't think so. Regardless - asking for a trade from not only one team but two in a two year span over ice time is a red flag. Sugar-coat it all you want ....

Mayday3*

"Sources" ... I don't think so. Regardless - asking for a trade from not only one team but two in a two year span over ice time is a red flag. Sugar-coat it all you want ....

It's almost like knowing the facts might be important :sarcasm:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Not uncommon for London to trade players in an attempt to get them the playing time they deserve. In turn the Draft Cupboard is generally fuller for shopping at the trade deadline. All indications are Rhymsha left town a happy camper that understood with the depth of the team at that point he was not seeing a great deal of regular ice time in his future.

Can't comment on the request that is now on the table (Ottawa Request) but the one in London was not your typical disgruntled player wanting out. Hope that helps a bit........

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In a many cases, it's tough to get some 16-17 year olds to waive their no trade clauses. Also, it pretty tough to get one to waive it if they are already playing in a desirable location (London or especially Windsor this year for example).

So if Murray is unable to get a Bracco deal done for this reason, perhaps he settles for the next best thing - a deal where a very high 2017 2nd round pick is part of the deal. People on here talked about a deal with Missy involving Hague coming this way. Initially, due to Hague's age, I was saying no way. But if the current draft database is correct, Missy currently holds Guelph's 2017 2nd rounder. As it stands now, Guelph is destined to miss the playoffs. That makes that pick one of the most valuable ones on the board. Based on today's standings, #23 overall - almost a 1st rounder.

Under the above circumstances, a deal with Missy wouldn't look so bad after all. Of course as a part of discussions, you lament the fact the Missy won't/can't send you an elite 2000 or 1999. In return you say, extra picks need to go Kitchener's way.

Would Rangers fans be so upset if Murray sent Bracco to Missy for Hague and, say 2nd rounders in '17, '18, '19? Toss in multiple 3rds and 4ths. Would that be so bad if guys like the big time 1999's and 2000's on contending teams are unavailable?

Missassauga would not do a trade like that, IMO. Hague is the highest ranked D in the OHL for this year's NHL draft, and a core player for the steelheads. He may hold more value than Bracco. He must have similar or more value than Tippett considering a top D is hard to acquire. Miss is definitely in on this year's playoff; yet, they 'could' return Bastian, McCleod, McCleod, Tippett, & Hague next season. Miss can trade any two of those next season and replace all their missing picks.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I think the Knights fans know the truth of why he wanted out. Nothing being sugar coated. He is a good 18 year old prospect that got bumped down the pecking order in Ottawa because they brought in another player. These kids want a chance at turning pro. Maybe Ottawa made a mistake and now it cost them a decent player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce