News Article: Kirill Petrov *Expected to sign ELC July 1 - Staple*

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I reckon Snow will offer Petrov a one way deal like Joensuu to entice him over to the NHL and I'd have no problem with it. Like I said if we get Petrov over here we've added an asset to the team which gives us more wiggle room to make moves in the future.

This is not possible, Petrov would have to sign an ELC which has to be a two-way contract.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
This is not possible, Petrov would have to sign an ELC which has to be a two-way contract.

Well scratch what I said then :laugh:

Nah but what I meant was that Snow could guarentee Petrov, that he wouldn't be sent down to the AHL to play so basically making it into a 1 way deal. If he performed well for us in the NHL then he would get a nice raise and everyone is happy at the end of the year, if not he goes back to the KHL ready to earn more rubles.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think we should have a thread similar to that "Mt Rushmore" thread, but maybe we can call it "Mt Olympus" after a mythical mountain. And we all pick the 4 "Islanders" about whom the most has been discussed where they make the least actual impact on the franchise. Think Comrie, for instance. Anyway, it may be too early, but Petrov could be in the discussion.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Your ranting against him seems a little over the top.

That he's still in Russia is the exact reason why he fell to the 3rd round. It was always in the cards. Doesn't mean he'll never come over, but NHL teams want control of their prospects' development, so a lot of teams shied away from picking him.

I'll admit I am hard on him now, but that stems from the consistant double talk you get from is camp. Go ahead and Google interviews with the two of them. It started at the combine and continued from there, where he is quoted stating this is the only league he wants to play in. Fast forward to the statements his agent made the month before his last contract was signed, followed by where he ended up signing.

But hey, he will sign with the Islanders next summer, and not simply use them to extract more money from Kazan, right? And no doubt his supporters will dissappear like snow in the summer, just like they did for months last time when Petrov hosed them, Snow, and us. Lol...

One more thought to digest - he is one contract away from being 27, and I could be wrong, but that's Ufa status for some in his situation, yes?

Last edited:

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Either way he's not in camp. As far as I'm concerned the "what ifs" can drive a fan crazy. When he comes to America wake me.

startainfection*

how is his mother doing now, i thought that he was prepared to signed with the isles but right after the rookie camp he attended his mother got sick so he signed in russia to be closer to home to care for her

startainfection*

koskinen was on his elc when he was sent to europe on loan, could just do the same thing with petrov

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Im gonna refer to Petrov as Nessie from now on. Something from across the Atlantic that everyone talks about but we never see...until he signs with the isles, thats all he is.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
One more thought to digest - he is one contract away from being 27, and I could be wrong, but that's Ufa status for some in his situation, yes?

I believe the Islanders hold his rights indefinitely.

From what I remember, the key ages (for Europeans) in the last CBA were 24 and 28. When he's 28, he can be offered a one-way entry-level contract, but a two-way contract shouldn't be a deal breaker because you can just tell him he's not going to be sent down, so it's basically like a one-way contract. When he's 24, the entry-level contract term drops to one year, and I think that is the key to his agent because basic ELC salary is capped under a million. If Petrov makes the move on a one-year deal, it means he can then quickly move beyond the ELC pay scale if all goes well.

I do think he wants to play in the NHL, eventually, because that is where the best players are and he's had the chance to hobnob with some of the top Russians. Only soft skill players and grinders tend to stay in Russia for life. The former because they are stars in the KHL and get paid accordingly, case in point Mozyakin. Russian grinders don't have the skills to stand out in the NHL and risk getting stuck in the AHL, so it's a safer career path for them to just stay home. Petrov is a big body with some skill, so choosing to stay in Russia for life would be an odd choice unless he becomes an elite offensive player and Kazan offers him a completely ridiculous amount of money seeing that he is a local kid.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ironically I wiki'd him up the other day to see what he was doing. Already 23, lots of his development is hindered already by not coming here by age 19/20. At this point it is what it is. I have zero expectations of him ever becoming an NHL top 6 player. Those days have come and passed now.

This is a load of crap. There are other ways to develop than coming to North America, and playing in the AHL.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is a load of crap. There are other ways to develop than coming to North America, and playing in the AHL.

You're right about that.... but all those ways involve playing. Obviously I can't watch the kid, but it seems like he hasn't been getting top playing time.

I never expected him to come over FWIW.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

For example, I remember ken holland being interviewed about how they develop their euro prospects. He said they don't even consider bringing them to NA until they can make their own national team.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
For example, I remember ken holland being interviewed about how they develop their euro prospects. He said they don't even consider bringing them to NA until they can make their own national team.
And they don't dare play them in the bigs until they cry to their agent or have bonus clauses.

Wait, that's us.:cry:

(was us, I hope}

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Interesting and yet, I'd like to solely add that Holland was surely being all-inclusive with respect to the national team. With that, I mean that a lot of the Euro-countries participate in a number of tournaments and test games throughout the winter and boatloads of players get called up and tried out in these various contests. I.e., he's not just referring to who is in the line-up for the World Championships, much less an Olympic team, but also those who are getting looked at along the way.

No point being made. Just mentioning it by the bye.

Now, this said, Petrov's inclusion on the national team for the WC this past spring is really, really quite impressive for a young man his age. Extremely impressive.

I'm licking my chops...

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Can you please go and take a long nap? We'll wake you if Petrov ever steps foot again on this continent.

How about a loser leaves town match? He'll be here after this season by all indications...interesting that you picked my boys Petrov and deHaan to be added for the prospect poll.

:laugh:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
How about a loser leaves town match? He'll be here after this season by all indications...interesting that you picked my boys Petrov and deHaan to be added for the prospect poll.

:laugh:

To be fair BC, you told us that very same thing, and more emphatically, last year. When Petrov faked everyone out I felt bad for you considering your love for the guy. I used to be like you, but learned fast that this guy & his agent see the Isles as useful idiots.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
To be fair BC, you told us that very same thing, and more emphatically, last year. When Petrov faked everyone out I felt bad for you considering your love for the guy. I used to be like you, but learned fast that this guy & his agent see the Isles as useful idiots.

Well that right there shows our organization is turning the corner. In the past, no one would include "useful" with the word "idiots" :handclap:

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
It a situational thing, obviously. Garf has established a culture of accountability and of earning your call-up on merit...case in point Nelson over Nino...with Petrov, why play in the AHL when you can make bigger bucks in the KHL? By the by, this hasn't stunted his development (see the recent effort at the WC). No, Garf wasn't willing to treat Petrov any different, which I applaud. I think that consistency is great, and Nino is the poster boy as to what happens if you aren't a team and organization guy. The Isles have gotten deeper since Petrov was drafted and this has obviously helped in this regard too.

But make no mistake, Petrov is still very much Isles property, and very much on their minds. And why wouldn't they be?

We have a blue chip prospect here.

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad