Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't see the big problem with them getting 64M dollars on a 8 year deal. So what if he's 32 yo at the end of it? What if he has a career threatening or ending injury next year(i.e. Tarasenko), or his play simply falls off(Duchene, Johansen)? The risk is all on MN- surely they have to acknowledge the value of that. If he continues to play at the level he is at, or even improves, he might well be able to get a significant deal when 32 yo, like Pavelski.

If he wants only a 4-5 year deal then MN should downgrade the amount given to 7M or so. If I was Kap, I'd take the long term deal, maybe with a limited NTC(within reason) so he can dictate where he wants to go should he and the team decide to part ways.

If he is unhappy in MN after a few years time and wants to be traded then MN will accommodate him. Nobody wants that stench around the dressing room(see; Reinhart, Eichel).

I hope that Guerin is working his ass off to sign JEE, Fiala, and a C, in the meantime. That will give Kap confidence that the team is going in the right direction. Hell, it will give me confidence that they are going in the right direction.
The injury thing is a valid concern for both sides and I'm guessing that's more the angle we hear with Fiala: he's had a couple of very good years here and it (tentatively) sounds like he'll want the security that comes with a long, guaranteed deal. It just sounds like Kaprizov's more willing to take the risk and bet on himself, which from what we've heard strikes me as very in character for him. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I think that confidence is part of what makes him so good.

But yeah, if they're dropping down to 4-5 years the money will come down as well. I don't know that it'll go all the way down to $7m, but I don't get the feeling that the money part will be all that contentious. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: space321

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see the big problem with them getting 64M dollars on a 8 year deal. So what if he's 32 yo at the end of it? What if he has a career threatening or ending injury next year(i.e. Tarasenko), or his play simply falls off(Duchene, Johansen)? The risk is all on MN- surely they have to acknowledge the value of that. If he continues to play at the level he is at, or even improves, he might well be able to get a significant deal when 32 yo, like Pavelski.

If he wants only a 4-5 year deal then MN should downgrade the amount given to 7M or so. If I was Kap, I'd take the long term deal, maybe with a limited NTC(within reason) so he can dictate where he wants to go should he and the team decide to part ways.

If he is unhappy in MN after a few years time and wants to be traded then MN will accommodate him. Nobody wants that stench around the dressing room(see; Reinhart, Eichel).

I hope that Guerin is working his ass off to sign JEE, Fiala, and a C, in the meantime. That will give Kap confidence that the team is going in the right direction. Hell, it will give me confidence that they are going in the right direction.
8 years $64M + 3 years $21M(Pavelski's deal) = $85M when he's 35-36

4-5 years $30-40M + 8 years $90-100M = $120-140M when he's 36-37 years old.

It's not hard to figure this out.

Reactions: space321

space321

May 11, 2011
It's not really a bluff. Kaprizov's leverage is in being the team's best player. It's better to have him for 3 or 4 years and trade him for assets (in the worst case scenario that he doesn't want to stay), than to have him for 0 years and not get any assets back for him (except for a middle round pick for his rights or something).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not really a bluff. Kaprizov's leverage is in being the team's best player. It's better to have him for 3 or 4 years and trade him for assets (in the worst case scenario that he doesn't want to stay), than to have him for 0 years and not get any assets back for him (except for a middle round pick for his rights or something).
It's a bluff because nobody believes he's actually dumb enough to go play in Russia. The sooner he, his agent, and Guerin stop with the nonsense, the sooner the deal will be done.

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It's a bluff because nobody believes he's actually dumb enough to go play in Russia. The sooner he, his agent, and Guerin stop with the nonsense, the sooner the deal will be done.
Maybe he's homesick? :nod:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I can't imagine anyone missing home bad enough to throw away $20M+.
Exactly. And do it in front of literally hundreds of thousands of fans that all love him and want to see him and chant his name.

IMO there will be a compromise. Both sides are posturing. I do think, though, at the end of it all he does a 3 year deal but it won't be 'too bad'.

Kirill is a good and competitive kid. He also isn't 18. If I'm him and doing everything I can for the next two contracts to get as much as I can because I will definitely go back to Russia when I'm 35-38, and eventually retire with a boatload of American USD and pride for how he played in his career.

He is both career winning and money driven, as IMO all players should be.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Exactly. And do it in front of literally hundreds of thousands of fans that all love him and want to see him and chant his name.

IMO there will be a compromise. Both sides are posturing. I do think, though, at the end of it all he does a 3 year deal but it won't be 'too bad'.

Kirill is a good and competitive kid. He also isn't 18. If I'm him and doing everything I can for the next two contracts to get as much as I can because I will definitely go back to Russia when I'm 35-38, and eventually retire with a boatload of American USD and pride for how he played in his career.

He is both career winning and money driven, as IMO all players should be.
A 3 year deal wouldn't be a compromise. It would be another Guerin disaster

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Thoughts on a one-year deal? Keeps him two years away from UFA at least. Obviously not ideal, but probably not a disaster.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thoughts on a one-year deal? Keeps him two years away from UFA at least. Obviously not ideal, but probably not a disaster.
It's better than 3 or 2, but it seems unnecessary and doesn't really get either side closer to what they actually want. It would make sense if Kaprizov's main concern really was linemates and they decided to sign for one "prove it" year... but I really don't think that's what's going on here.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
IMO, at this point KK is probably just letting his agent do the talking. I don't believe for a second that he wants to play in the KHL next year, but its the only leverage he really has at this point because of his RFA status. My guess is that when push comes to shove, they will agree on a 4-5 year deal somewhere around $7.5 million AAV.

His agent is also Panarin's agent and will want KK to hit UFA at 28-29 years of age so he can really cash in like Panarin did. The last thing they will do is accept a 8 year deal unless it's over $10 million AAV.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Other than market controls and price fixing, is there any reason the league perceives the salary of the 24-32 year old forward should be worth less than a 27-36 year old forward?

If you look at just the asset, the former should be worth more, and therefore have a higher salary, than the later.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Other than market controls and price fixing, is there any reason the league perceives the salary of the 24-32 year old forward should be worth less than a 27-36 year old forward?

If you look at just the asset, the former should be worth more, and therefore have a higher salary, than the later.
It's a function of team control under the rules in the CBA. That's pretty much it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't really blame Kaprizov/his agent for trying, but Guerin really needs to not let them shift the burden of Kaprizov not coming over when he was 21 from him to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm certain a deal will get reached, but time is becoming a factor. My guess is that BG will want KK locked up before he focuses on Ek and Fiala.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Theoretically our window for going all in again is as long as Kaps contract at this current moment in time. Until we know what our prospects can be the shorter the term the shorter the window imo.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It's a function of team control under the rules in the CBA. That's pretty much it.
Which means the salaries themselves are disconnected from the reality of a player's value

Panarin got $81.5m for 7 years ($11.6m/year) at 27.

Kaprizov getting $80m for 8 years ($10m/year) at 24 is reasonable. We are getting him for his best years.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Which means the salaries themselves are disconnected from the reality of a player's value

Panarin got $81.5m for 7 years ($11.6m/year) at 27.

Kaprizov getting $80m for 8 years ($10m/year) at 24 is reasonable. We are getting him for his best years.
I don't actually object to $10m x 8 for Kaprizov in a vacuum. It's a risk, but not one I really worry about taking.

But with our cap situation over the next few years, $10m vs $7.5m is a big deal. To me it makes more sense to both parties to do the more modest 4 year deal now, and look at the big deal in 2025.

Reactions: MuckOG

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't really blame Kaprizov/his agent from trying, but Guerin really needs to not let them shift the blame of Kaprizov not coming over when he was 21 from him to us.
Not only is it not Guerin’s fault, but Kaprizov needs to be made aware that it was a mistake that he himself is going to pay for. There's 1 reason why Kaprizov isn't about to sign a $100M+ contract, and that reason is his own stupidity.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm certain a deal will get reached, but time is becoming a factor. My guess is that BG will want KK locked up before he focuses on Ek and Fiala.
I thought it would be the other way around. If he signs Kap for a really big number then JEE and Fiala are also going to want inflated numbers. If he signs JEE and Fiala to reasonable numbers, then he can point to them as benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad