Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Sample size is small, but neither really shined in the playoffs:

upload_2021-9-22_22-59-30.png

My guess is that Caufield will have a lot of TOI in favorable offensive situations, and should outscore Kirill just because of that, but scoring isn't everything.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kaprizov is a much better player than Caufield, but Caufield is not who Kaprizov needs to be measuring himself against. His peers are Pastrnak, Huberdeau, Connors, Ehlers, Draisaitl, Gaudreau, Marner, etc..

Boldy is Caufield's peer.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Looks like that article I posted might've been legit after all, eh?
Russo's reply is a little damning. Damning for Russo that is. I really feel like that guy has not been on the scoop like he used to be. He feels more like an editorial writer these days than a beat writer, and I don't love that change.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Looks like that article I posted might've been legit after all, eh?

That article says a deal was basically done around 9/11, that's not true.

I think very few people (including Guerin) knew about his secret flight to Florida. It was a smart move by him and his agent, to get certain requirements out of the way in time for training camp, in case of a deal. When Guerin was informed he went down there to meet them in person, and this made it easier to reach an agreement.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Russo's reply is a little damning. Damning for Russo that is. I really feel like that guy has not been on the scoop like he used to be. He feels more like an editorial writer these days than a beat writer, and I don't love that change.
I think part of it could be the Covid effect, hard to be on the beat when you can't actually be around the team/organization, he certainly feels much less connected over the past two years than previously.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The GM didn't know about it. Weird complaint.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I think very few people (including Guerin) knew about his secret flight to Florida. It was a smart move by him and his agent, to get certain requirements out of the way in time for training camp, in case of a deal. When Guerin was informed he went down there to meet them in person, and this made it easier to reach an agreement.

The part about him coming over to North America earlier was true.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Semantics. Regardless of the exact time frame, the point being was he was en route to Minnesota.

Guerin also flat out said in the press conference he knew as soon as Kaprizov got into Florida.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The GM also wasn't reporting his guesses as facts either.

Russo thinks he knows quite a bit more than he actually knows, and he isn't afraid to let everyone hear it. That's fine when you're right with your reporting a lot more than you're wrong. He hasn't been that for years.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The part about him coming over to North America earlier was true.

But not on his way to Minnesota, as the article said. And not because a deal was close.

Now we got the facts, he was on his way to Florida, without a deal in place. Guerin didn't even know about this.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My only complaint about this specific tweet is that he said said "No," as though he was certain of it. He was technically right because Kaprizov went to Florida first, but it makes me wonder if I should trust him when he says something so firmly. That said, I didn't post that just because of this one incident, which overall is a minor one. I said something because, even looking beyond this one tweet, he's also really felt out of touch with the Wild the last couple of years. It was really apparently when Scott Burnside wrote the "Can't Mess Up the Plan" article for The Athletic, getting the kind of inside access that Russo used to, but hasn't in years. In contrast, Russo wrote three articles in three days that same week about what the Wild might do in free agency, with almost no new information between them. The day after Burnside's article ran Russo expanded on the free agency articles by highlighting Nick Foligno, and it was entirely a fluff piece. I mean... yeah, COVID might be a problem for his access, but then why isn't it for Burnside?

I've always been a huge fan of Russo, but I nearly cancelled my The Atheletic subscription this year because he's the main reason I'm there and I'm not getting the news or the insight that I once did from him, and the other writers aren't picking up the slack anywhere near often enough to make it worthwhile. In the end, they gave me a 66% discount to stay, so I'm giving it one more year but if nothing changes, that's pretty much it for me with following Russo. I don't dislike the guy at all, I just feel like he's not bringing the value he once did. I've been quiet on Russo, and I've been pretty forgiving, but I guess this is the tweet that finally broke that.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
@BagHead give Russo a break. I'm sure he got that tweet verified by the Wild, he's very careful about this. I hope you don't expect Russo, or the Wild for that matter, to know about Kaprizov's private trips, like the one to Florida.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Given that even Guerin didn't know Kaprizov had already come to America, you can't blame Russo. Not sure Russian insiders knew it too. If they or Russian press knew it, they would have been talked about it for sure.

Reactions: Aurinko

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Given that even Guerin didn't know Kaprizov had already come to America, you can't blame Russo. Not sure Russian insiders knew it too. If they or Russian press knew it, they would have been talked about it for sure.
I did say the only thing that bothered me about this tweet was how absolutely certain he made himself sound, when obviously he wasn't in a position to sound that way at all. I'm not angry about it or anything, I just used to expect more accuracy from him. Call him a victim of the high expectations he set for himself, if you want. But I think Circulartheory is right and this is way off the topic of this thread, so now that I've clarified how I feel on it, I'll shut up and simply enjoy watching Kaprizov this year.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I think 'grain of salt' is the way to view Russo's reporting. For instance, when he reports that the Wild offered 8 years, 7 years and then held firm at 5, I believed it because clearly someone had shared those facts with him. But when he tries to walk the edge between what he cannot disclose vs what he 'thinks' is happening, his information gets murky. I think that is a function of needing to go with things in a very competitive media environment where anyone with a smart phone can play reporter now.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
I think 'grain of salt' is the way to view Russo's reporting. For instance, when he reports that the Wild offered 8 years, 7 years and then held firm at 5, I believed it because clearly someone had shared those facts with him. But when he tries to walk the edge between what he cannot disclose vs what he 'thinks' is happening, his information gets murky. I think that is a function of needing to go with things in a very competitive media environment where anyone with a smart phone can play reporter now.

Agreed with the grain of salt notion. I look at it as when he throws out numbers, that is him speculating and if it is something he either knows or doesn't, that could jeopardize negotiations he simply says "no" or "I don't know".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad