Waived: Kirill Kabanov

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
2nd round picks too :sarcasm:

If you go back through the years, it is only in exceptional drafts that more than two or three good players comes out of the second round. Its funny, because I always get so psyched about the guys we take on the second. If we have the same hit rate as the rest of the league, it will take about 10 second rounders to yield one impact player.

BroadwayJay*

If you go back through the years, it is only in exceptional drafts that more than two or three good players comes out of the second round. Its funny, because I always get so psyched about the guys we take on the second. If we have the same hit rate as the rest of the league, it will take about 10 second rounders to yield one impact player.

It makes sense anyway. You can't have 60 new quality NHLers every year. You'd have 100 percent turnover every 10 years.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The odd thing is that it was his lack of ability, not his maturity or attitude or work ethic that kept him from the NHL.

Exactly my thoughts about KK. I never saw the gamebreaking ability, or at the least the ability/skills that was going to be the main reason he'd become an NHL'er. For a supposed highly skilled player, he looked ordinary (on the ice) in many ways.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It occurred to me this morning that the Isles must really be giving up on Petrov coming over if they're willing to let his in-house translator go.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not that I think Kabanov will amount to anything but I much rather the team bought out Jason Clark(who can't even do anything decent at the ECHL level).

All that being said the team must really want Kabanov gone because it's cheaper to just let him play in Europe and pay him his AHL salary then it is to buy him out of his contract(which will cost 300k over the next 2 years)

Cynical part of me says the Islanders were 150k under what the league mandates us to spend. lol

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not that I think Kabanov will amount to anything but I much rather the team bought out Jason Clark(who can't even do anything decent at the ECHL level).

All that being said the team must really want Kabanov gone because it's cheaper to just let him play in Europe and pay him his AHL salary then it is to buy him out of his contract(which will cost 300k over the next 2 years)

Cynical part of me says the Islanders were 150k under what the league mandates us to spend. lol

Well keep in mind they may not have bought him out at all if Kabanov had not requested it. This doesn't appear to be a move initiated by management, but more a non-essential player request granted.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Well keep in mind they may not have bought him out at all if Kabanov had not requested it. This doesn't appear to be a move initiated by management, but more a non-essential player request granted.

Hmm That's an interesting position.

I could totally see that happening. If so, I think the signings of Grabo and Kule could have been the reason plus all the other signings. Kabby thought he wouldnt have a shot. He figured he'd get a better contract somewhere else. I bet Isles tried to shop him, no one wanted him and presto bingo he's bought out.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Maybe he can go to the KHL and play for Ak Bars and form a lethal 1-2 punch with Petrov now.

we do not accomodate players with talent, but a pain in the arse father who tries to tell coaches what to do with his sonny.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
If I remember, he managed to show up late twice for his sessions during his first prospect camp. That takes a degree of talent. The drinking age in New York is still 21, and he was 18 or 19. The management was so pissed off (and probably embarrassed) they wouldn't let him dress for the Blue-White game.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If I remember, he managed to show up late twice for his sessions during his first prospect camp. That takes a degree of talent. The drinking age in New York is still 21, and he was 18 or 19. The management was so pissed off (and probably embarrassed) they wouldn't let him dress for the Blue-White game.

I'm pretty sure he only had two snafus his entire time with us, on top of winning some award for being some community minded player. Honestly I think his discipline problems were out grown and those had nothing to do with it. It was just him wanting to move on and the Isles having no problem granting that request with a deep prospect pool. His attitude had nothing to do with it and he was even pretty professional posting about it on Facebook (although there was a little underhanded poke).

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Well worth the gamble of a third round pick, was a home run or bust pick, take that anyday in 3rd round. Well worth the attempt by garth.

Moving on, no big deal here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad