Kingston Frontenacs 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dirty you are missing my point COMPLETELY

I am not saying that Wright would develop more with another year of OHL. Although there is truth to that depending on the team.

What I am saying is that Francis does not have a choice.
You can not have an NHL team with 2 rookie centers Beniers is older and ready to play in the NHL. Wright may have the size but I question if he is more ready than Beniers.
Also Wright does not have the option of going anywhere but back to the OHL.

It is a numbers game and looking at the Kraken there is one spot for 1 center.

Wright can learn a lot more at the OHL level than sitting in an apartment or home in Seattle and just practicing with the team. Also, that would be a waste of a year on his contract that Francis s not going to want to do.
You can’t have the #1 selected C from a year ago and the consensus #1 from the past draft on an expansion team? I really, really, strongly disagree. I believe Wright would be waaay better off as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th line centre in the NHL. Berniers might even benefit by having Wright take some of the spot light. Public scrutiny in nothing new for Wright. And not for one second am I buying the Kraken have four more useful centres than Wright.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You can’t have the #1 selected C from a year ago and the consensus #1 from the past draft on an expansion team? I really, really, strongly disagree. I believe Wright would be waaay better off as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th line centre in the NHL. Berniers might even benefit by having Wright take some of the spot light. Public scrutiny in nothing new for Wright. And not for one second am I buying the Kraken have four more useful centres than Wright.
That is your thought and I respect it.

So far I have been right in my prediction as I said that he would not be #1 Slaf offered too much experience, size and the Euro can go to the AHL option.

People said I was wrong OK

Again I think that Wright has made 2 big mistakes so far in his development.

1 he did not play for a year ( he had options and decided not to take them. He also could have played a year in the same division as Slafkovsky and Nemic or he could have signed in the USHL for a year. That hurt his development.

The second thing I think he did wrong was not play in the WJC this summer. It would have given him game time to work and develop as well as show what he has.

Anyway time will tell but I will not be surprised if he is back in Kingston in October.
Player development at the NHL level is important. If Wright was a center and Beniers was a D or goalie I might agree you could have both but the same coach has to work with the players and that is not gong to happen. They want to give the most to the players not split the difference.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That is your thought and I respect it.

So far I have been right in my prediction as I said that he would not be #1 Slaf offered too much experience, size and the Euro can go to the AHL option.

People said I was wrong OK

Again I think that Wright has made 2 big mistakes so far in his development.

1 he did not play for a year ( he had options and decided not to take them. He also could have played a year in the same division as Slafkovsky and Nemic or he could have signed in the USHL for a year. That hurt his development.

The second thing I think he did wrong was not play in the WJC this summer. It would have given him game time to work and develop as well as show what he has.

Anyway time will tell but I will not be surprised if he is back in Kingston in October.
Player development at the NHL level is important. If Wright was a center and Beniers was a D or goalie I might agree you could have both but the same coach has to work with the players and that is not gong to happen. They want to give the most to the players not split the difference.
Well Montreal had a plan that went perfectly. They were able to trade for their centre which made their their first pick sensible; and with some luck, Beck was sitting there for the Canadiens at the top of round 2.
The other two teams had good reasons to pass on Wright, I’m sure; but I’m also sure it’s nearly always a mistake to pass on a player with by far the highest floor.
But what other teams did at draft time, and what you believe were poor choices made by Wright do not weigh in the decision for what is best for Wright and the Kraken right now and in the future. And I just can’t see your logic behind the Kraken only having time for one rookie centre.

Unless Wright proves completely overmatched early in the season, I am going to believe playing in the NHL whether it’s first or fourth line is best for Wright whether or not the Kraken send him back to the OHL for future cap concerns or developmental reasons. Wright is about as physically and mentally ready as prospects come. He just has work to do on becoming the best player he can be. Imo, he does not learn as nearly much playing with kids his age when already proving he can dominate the 2003-04. Nobody can over look what Wright did playing with the ‘03 born in MM and Gretzky-Hilinka Cup. The Kraken just selected 6 players within 65 picks and have drafts loaded with picks coming, so they will have cap decisions to make within 5-6 years regardless of starting Wrights ELC immediately.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Well Montreal had a plan that went perfectly. They were able to trade for their centre which made their their first pick sensible; and with some luck, Beck was sitting there for the Canadiens at the top of round 2.
The other two teams had good reasons to pass on Wright, I’m sure; but I’m also sure it’s nearly always a mistake to pass on a player with by far the highest floor.
But what other teams did at draft time, and what you believe were poor choices made by Wright do not weigh in the decision for what is best for Wright and the Kraken right now and in the future. And I just can’t see your logic behind the Kraken only having time for one rookie centre.

Unless Wright proves completely overmatched early in the season, I am going to believe playing in the NHL whether it’s first or fourth line is best for Wright whether or not the Kraken send him back to the OHL for future cap concerns or developmental reasons. Wright is about as physically and mentally ready as prospects come. He just has work to do on becoming the best player he can be. Imo, he does not learn as nearly much playing with kids his age when already proving he can dominate the 2003-04. Nobody can over look what Wright did playing with the ‘03 born in MM and Gretzky-Hilinka Cup. The Kraken just selected 6 players within 65 picks and have drafts loaded with picks coming, so they will have cap decisions to make within 5-6 years regardless of starting Wrights ELC immediately.
I think you can write off any chance of him playing anything other than 4th line at best. For a rookie 18 year old to be a first line center is not even something to think about.

Does he have a chance of making the team YES
Does he have a chance of being sent back YES

Again you have your POV and I have mine.

Playing against 18 year old's is one thing playing against established NHL players is different. The game is faster the hits are harder and the skill level is higher at the NHL.

Time will tell what happens to him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think you can write off any chance of him playing anything other than 4th line at best. For a rookie 18 year old to be a first line center is not even something to think about.

Playing against 18 year old's is one thing playing against established NHL players is different. The game is faster the hits are harder and the skill level is higher at the NHL.

I think he will deserve to be a regular for the Kraken, but believe even 6 minutes TOI in and out of the line up in the NHL is better for his development than 25 minutes in the OHL.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I think Wright has played too much hockey and at times it showed last year.

He has not dominated in any league, or tourny, or playoffs in the last 2 years.

He has always been a top guy and always played on a top team and maybe the lack of past adversity has caught up to him. Kingston definitely underachieved this yr with all that top 9 offense. Just my opinion.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Wright has played too much hockey and at times it showed last year.

He has not dominated in any league, or tourny, or playoffs in the last 2 years.

He has always been a top guy and always played on a top team and maybe the lack of past adversity has caught up to him. Kingston definitely underachieved this yr with all that top 9 offense. Just my opinion.
Wright put up 14 pts, and a record 9 goals in just five games leading Canada to gold at the World U18 (1) year ago.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Wright put up 14 pts, and a record 9 goals in just five games leading Canada to gold at the World U18 (1) year ago.
True. But, he definitely didn’t dominate last year as part of the Fronts. And I agree with Beast in that he should be returned to the OHL as it would be quite shocking to me to make the NHL as an 18 year old when he didn’t even dominate in the O (Bennett got returned eventually and he actually DID dominate in his draft year).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
True. But, he definitely didn’t dominate last year as part of the Fronts. And I agree with Beast in that he should be returned to the OHL as it would be quite shocking to me to make the NHL as an 18 year old when he didn’t even dominate in the O (Bennett got returned eventually and he actually DID dominate in his draft year).
Cool.
Though contrary to the post stating ‘Wright did not dominate any league, tourny, playoff in the last two years’; Wright dominated the U18 one year ago to the tune of 9 goals, 14 points in 5 games played.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
LWCRWLDRDG
ValadePinelliSerpaSchmidtBrzustewiczParsons
MartinRehkopfSopMotewLeBlancVandenberg
MisaljevicMercerFishmanAndonovskiHarperDiFelice
SwickLeBlancZidlickyHollett
PuglieseMacchioneBottineau

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
opps

LWCRWLDRDG
ArcuriLudwinskiHemströmMurrayBurnsZhigalov
CallensBrooksSotoHachéBudnickVaccari
HeyesPooleThibodeauBelangerCostantino
StewartFrascaHughesSchneider
CavallinBattagliaMcGowan

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
opps

LWCRWLDRDG
ArcuriLudwinskiHemströmMurrayBurnsZhigalov
CallensBrooksSotoHachéBudnickVaccari
HeyesPooleThibodeauBelangerCostantino
StewartFrascaHughesSchneider
CavallinBattagliaMcGowan
No Roger - I'm guessing this assumes he's in the AHL? I'm not convinced he's ready - but if he is then they Fronts NEED an OA centre - Brooks was a second round pick but didn't get much of a leash in his rookie year. Second line for him might be a bit of a leap. A cool target, even though he's not an OA, would be Jacob Frasca - have all three Frascas at some point wear a Fronts jersey.

I saw someone post in the regular season thread Costantino was gone - I didn't see any news about it, but he played any hockey since February, and he's an '03 with 18 games of experience - I don't expect the Fronts to be competitive so I'm guessing they'd rather play a young guy like Schneider or McGowan.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Yes, this depth chart is funny. Brooks may be hard pressed to play in the league, Heyes is a right winger, costantino quit last year after Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belanger play centre and Stewart to take a role on the 3rd line with poole.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
No Roger - I'm guessing this assumes he's in the AHL? I'm not convinced he's ready - but if he is then they Fronts NEED an OA centre - Brooks was a second round pick but didn't get much of a leash in his rookie year. Second line for him might be a bit of a leap. A cool target, even though he's not an OA, would be Jacob Frasca - have all three Frascas at some point wear a Fronts jersey.

I saw someone post in the regular season thread Costantino was gone - I didn't see any news about it, but he played any hockey since February, and he's an '03 with 18 games of experience - I don't expect the Fronts to be competitive so I'm guessing they'd rather play a young guy like Schneider or McGowan.
Regardless of whether he is back I think they need to trade for an OA centre. No point in having three OA Dmen in a development type of year. The forward lines actually look relatively balanced once you make a few changes to them and put in an OA centre.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, this depth chart is funny. Brooks may be hard pressed to play in the league, Heyes is a right winger, costantino quit last year after Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belanger play centre and Stewart to take a role on the 3rd line with poole.
based on what they have thats probably the best they can do, boorks at c, there isnt much depth up front

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Fronts pre-season roster is up on their site - no real surprises, Wright is on there but I'm guessing it's just prep until Seattle camp opens in a couple weeks

Roger is there, and Costantino isn't - so with the three OA DMen I'm guessing either one will get moved or Belanger may move up to C, he was pretty solid down the stretch when needed.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Cool.
Though contrary to the post stating ‘Wright did not dominate any league, tourny, playoff in the last two years’; Wright dominated the U18 one year ago to the tune of 9 goals, 14 points in 5 games played.
He played U18 after playing 2 years in Major Jr. Most kids at U18 have played 1 year in Major Jr. Bedard is a rare one.

So, even with 14 points in 5 games, he tied Bedard, and Mctavish had 11 pts, I wouldnt consider him Dominating.

He didnt even win scoring championship at that U18.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He played U18 after playing 2 years in Major Jr. Most kids at U18 have played 1 year in Major Jr. Bedard is a rare one.

So, even with 14 points in 5 games, he tied Bedard, and Mctavish had 11 pts, I wouldnt consider him Dominating.

He didnt even win scoring championship at that U18.
He posted a (tournament record 9 goals) in just 5 games. His 2.8 pts/g seems dominating when comparing Bedard 2.0 & MacTavish 1.57 to me.

Oct 3, 2019

He’s a bust

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
He’s a bust
Thanks for the input, very insightful.

Was wondering who could be potential trade partners for this year - I think Arcuri would be a great complimentary piece for a contender, and now that Dallas has signed him they may want him playing on a more competitive team.

If Wright's back (personally I don't think so), bust or not, I doubt he stays with the Fronts for very long - hopefully they can get a return similar to what Mason McTavish got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad