Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reactions: Loriginale and BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Reading Friedman's tweet, it's hard to tell whether this is the Kings moving in a new direction or Futa leaving to take on a new role.

EDIT: just saw the second tweet. That makes sense.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
He has been rumored for every GM job for multiple years now but no team has selected him, even teams with much worse management.

Something has to be up here?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I was about to say exactly the same thing about the Canucks, lol.
I was starting to come around on Benning. Then the news about his scouting staff came out. Seems like he's shooting himself in the foot, and exposing himself.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm pretty sure it'd be a shock to everyone if the Leafs fire Dubas to hire Futa, especially after they allowed him to negotiate all those mega-deals for the kids.

Now the Habs on the other hand, could definitely use a guy like Futa at the helm.

He had a rapport with Dubas & Keefe going back a decade. I don't expect a promotion (GM), bust a lateral hire (AGM) is much more reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyrophorus and Ciao

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Maybe as an assistant?

so he left his job with the Kings as an assistant GM because he wasn't being used to his full potential to come to Toronto to be an assistant GM?

Fire Benning, give me Futa.

Reactions: Javaman

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
This guy has been interviewed like a hundred times over the years for different GM jobs and hasn't gotten one. Maybe he just isn't that great?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it is one of those things were the team and him agree it is time for him to move on as he wont be getting the GM spot with LA and they do not want to stand in his way
I recall his name did come up during a couple of GM searches like in Philly and Carolina. Did LA give him permission to interview for those jobs? I don’t recall.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure it'd be a shock to everyone if the Leafs fire Dubas to hire Futa, especially after they allowed him to negotiate all those mega-deals for the kids.

Now the Habs on the other hand, could definitely use a guy like Futa at the helm.

Habs seem like a perfect landing spot, but their incompetent GM seems untouchable.

Montreal's dumb owner wants the coach and GM to speak French, so if he doesn't speak French, he's out.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He has been rumored for every GM job for multiple years now but no team has selected him, even teams with much worse management.

Some guys don't want to move if they're not comfortable.

Not the best example but Paul Fenton was rumoured for every GM job for years and even bowed out of a few a couple times before Minny hired him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would only look at him as a GM with someone like Gillis to handle a large portion of responsibilities as President of Hockey Ops. Based on the owners he would have to be advanced stat literate.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Montreal's dumb owner wants the coach and GM to speak French, so if he doesn't speak French, he's out.
I think a bilingual GM is a good idea in Montreal.

Bob Gainey is bilingual, and I think every Canadiens GM going back to Irving Grundman is bilingual.

Was Grundman bilingual too? I don't remember him being all that popular with my Quebecois friends at the time -- but that was because of his trades, not his language.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
This guy has been interviewed like a hundred times over the years for different GM jobs and hasn't gotten one. Maybe he just isn't that great?

LA didn't let him talk to other teams the last time he had a contract renewal option, they kept him and made him their Assistant GM, promoting him from the VP of Hockey Ops & Director of Player Personnel.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

HE declined all of them. He was very happy in LA with his family. His contract was up and maybe he felt it was time to take a gm job somewhere else, and he knew it wouldn't be happening in LA. Mutual parting of ways, no hard feelings. He's a smart dude, and I wish him luck.

Reactions: ru4reals and Ciao

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
HE declined all of them. He was very happy in LA with his family. His contract was up and maybe he felt it was time to take a gm job somewhere else, and he knew it wouldn't be happening in LA. Mutual parting of ways, no hard feelings. He's a smart dude, and I wish him luck.
Pretty sure he's lived in Toronto/GTA most of his time with the Kings or did until he was moved up from Director of Player Personnel which was only 3 years ago.

A lot of teams high-up staff unless they are GM don't live in the cities of their teams, especially if they are involved in the amateur scouting aspects of an organization (they tend to be located in Southern Ontario, Ottawa/Gatineau, Ann-Arbour/Michigan or the Western Canada/Washington state).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad