Rumor: Kings went after Saros at deadline

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's been one of the best goalies in the league for the past three years, the size thing might have been a question mark four years ago but that hasn't been an issue at all.
I think it's still a consideration in the long-term. Smaller goalies fall off quick. When they start to slip, they slip hard.

If you trade for Saros...you're getting a few years of elite goaltending...but how far into the future does that span?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
We are making threads now about what Friedman think could have happen?
Isn't this what Eklund or fever dreams are for?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
.you're getting a few years of elite goaltending.

Problem is there are very few goalies who can provide even a "few" consecutive years of elite goaltending. Whatever the price for him, it would be far too big a risk imo.

Far better bet for the Kings would be to trade for (or sign) a solid starter for a far more reasonable price and hope he plays above his norm for a couple of seasons, or go for a "buy low" candidate - a guy that has been good recently but coming off a bad year and/or injuries, then hope again he bounces back in a big way.

So if Korpisalo looks solid from here on out, I'd prefer to see if he's up for an extension this summer and save the assets.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I have a feeling Hellebuyck will be available at some point next season. That’s the guy you save the assets for imo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Problem is there are very few goalies who can provide even a "few" consecutive years of elite goaltending. Whatever the price for him, it would be far too big a risk imo.

Far better bet for the Kings would be to trade for (or sign) a solid starter for a far more reasonable price and hope he plays above his norm for a couple of seasons, or go for a "buy low" candidate - a guy that has been good recently but coming off a bad year and/or injuries, then hope again he bounces back in a big way.

So if Korpisalo looks solid from here on out, I'd prefer to see if he's up for an extension this summer and save the assets.
Yeah. I think the Kings have pretty much made their bed. For better or worse...Joonas is "their guy" now.

I have a feeling Hellebuyck will be available at some point next season. That’s the guy you save the assets for imo.

I think your internal feeling radar might be miscalibrated.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
After tonight, maybe they should have held on to Quick. He seems like a man on a mission.

Yea. Maybe they needed to do something drastic to shock Quick. Obviously his GM telling him that they were trading for another goalie didnt do anything. So hmm I think what the Kings shouldve done instead was announce that Kopitar was getting a statue outside Staples Center, and at the same time state that Quick was not getting one :sarcasm:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So you don't actually have anything to back up your claim... Got it.
The number of sub-6' goaltenders at an elite level is an extremely small outlier club in the first place.

But the most recent example is probably Jaro Halak. He was a wall at one point...then became a complete sieve.

Jonathan Bernier is another example. You can go back further, but it's obviously hard to find goaltenders that small in general.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
The number of sub-6' goaltenders at an elite level is an extremely small outlier club in the first place.

But the most recent example is probably Jaro Halak. He was a wall at one point...then became a complete sieve.

Jonathan Bernier is another example. You can go back further, but it's obviously hard to find goaltenders that small in general.
Are you sure you weren’t a used car salesman in another life?

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I think your internal feeling radar might be miscalibrated.
Korpisalo’s been a god awful goalie for ages now, a half decent season doesn’t change that. Not to mention he’s a UFA this off-season.

Hellebuyck only has a season left on his contract, Jets have a lot of contracts expiring after next year. He will be available if he doesn’t wanna re-sign.

I hope your other 20000+ are less rude than this.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Korpisalo’s been a god awful goalie for ages now, a half decent season doesn’t change that. Not to mention he’s a UFA this off-season.

Hellebuyck only has a season left on his contract, Jets have a lot of contracts expiring after next year. He will be available if he doesn’t wanna re-sign.

I hope your other 20000+ are less rude than this.
Do you really honestly think the Jets aren't going to ride out every last ounce of Hellebuyck's elite performance years that they can?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Are you sure you weren’t a used car salesman in another life?
I bet i could be pretty decent at it. But no...i've never been that, so far as i know.

It's a weird industry where most of the actually good cars were built between the turn of the century and about ten years after.

:teach:

You went on to make a massive generalization for no real reason.
Referencing Timothy Thomas like that wasn't one of the most bizarre, inexplicable oddities of NHL history.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I personally, would not pay the "Kings Ransom" required to get myself a very small goaltender. I'd go big game hunting and try to get myself a Thatcher Demko long before i went after Saros.
Who cares about his height he definitely doesn't play small. One of the best goalies in the league. His height is a non issue

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Referencing Timothy Thomas like that wasn't one of the most bizarre, inexplicable oddities of NHL history.
Referencing the fact that you came up with a generalization based on like 1,5 examples (Halak had a great career and doesn't even fit it) and now state all small goalies MUST have something in common. Which they don't, at all.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's a non-issue right up until it becomes an issue.
Literally could be said about any goalie of any height. Half of their careers end rather abruptly. See Crawford, Holtby, Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Schneider.. And pretty much all these guys were Vezina nominees/winners.

Reactions: Gh24

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Referencing the fact that you came up with a generalization based on like 1,5 examples (Halak had a great career and doesn't even fit it) and now state all small goalies MUST have something in common. Which they don't, at all.

You have to be cognizant of how few goaltenders actually become "elite" in the first place. This is a very small club. That influences the trust factor in other small goalies. It messes with things.

5'10", 170lb "small" Jhonas Enroth had a 2.17 GAA, .922% in LA.

Size does not matter as a goaltender.
Where's that dude now? He still posting "elite" numbers at the NHL level or nah?

Size absolutely matters in goaltending. It's not any hard and fast rule...but small goaltenders are not consistent. That is borne out over time.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You have to be cognizant of how few goaltenders actually become "elite" in the first place. This is a very small club. That influences the trust factor in other small goalies. It messes with things.
And yet you are the only person I heard talking about it. Everyone understands size matters when it comes to goalies. But I haven't heard of anyone not trusting Saros, or Tim Thomas, or Halak in their prime because they are small. That's just a fallacy that you came up with.

Again, there is a laundry list of goalies whose careers ended abruptly or went into a very steep decline. Size has nothing to do with it. Some of them happen to be small, but most are not. Just like the NHL goalie pool in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad