Las Vegas
I think the healthy top 9 lineup will eventually be:

Pearson-Kopitar-Toffoli
Gaborik-Carter-Cammaleri
Kempe-Shore-Brown

Pearson - Kopitar - Toffoli
Cammalleri - Carter - Brown
Kempe - Brodzinki - Gaborik
boy our 3C is crap no matter how we look at it.....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson - Kopitar - Toffoli
Cammalleri - Carter - Brown
Kempe - Brodzinki - Gaborik
boy our 3C is crap no matter how we look at it.....

I'm not so sure about that. Shore is underrated. He's already solid defensively and has gotten a little better offensively each season. Brown makes for a perfect 3rd liner IMO. Kempe provides speed and energy.

Kempe-Shore-Brown could develop into a nice 3rd line for us.

Another thing that can be tried (many will disagree with this), is putting Cammy at center if he's playing well.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Carter has scored 30 goals with us one time... And ur willing to bet a $1000 that he would do it for only the second time without Pearson and toffoli on his wings lol

To say he "scored 30 goals with us one time" is to imply it was an outlier, which it wasn't.

26 (on pace for 39), 27, 28, 24 (out a few games), and 32.

He's going to score 30 next year regardless of his wingers because he's a player that attacks the net and puts a priority on shooting. Take it to the bank!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Just imagine how much better Carter's numbers would be if he didn't start turning into Kopitar in the second half of the season.

I think he can also rack up more assists if Toffoli can bounce back and Pearson continues to improve in his consistency. If the team can remain healthy and things go right in terms of players playing up to their potential, the Kings should be a playoff team. But like I said, a lot has to go right for the team, like Quick staying healthy, and Muzzin and Martinez not playing like Charlie Huddy and Darryl Sydor.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
To say he "scored 30 goals with us one time" is to imply it was an outlier, which it wasn't.

26 (on pace for 39), 27, 28, 24 (out a few games), and 32.

He's going to score 30 next year regardless of his wingers because he's a player that attacks the net and puts a priority on shooting. Take it to the bank!

Ok...

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm not so sure about that. Shore is underrated. He's already solid defensively and has gotten a little better offensively each season. Brown makes for a perfect 3rd liner IMO. Kempe provides speed and energy.

Kempe-Shore-Brown could develop into a nice 3rd line for us.

Another thing that can be tried (many will disagree with this), is putting Cammy at center if he's playing well.

Going off stats/metrics/analytics..etc, Kopi/Toffoli and JC/Brown played better off each other... As much as people don't want DB in the top 6 we really don't have a better option. Dowd and Shore are adequate and nothing more, The key to a good 3rd line will be ability of Kempe and Brodzinski to carry over their chemistry from Ontario..

As myself and others have mentioned, Kopitar/Toffoli, Carter/Brown and Kempe/Brodzinski play their best when paired with each other.. and this should be how the lines are paired to better utilize our personnel

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
We'll he's far more likely to score 30 goals regardless of teammates than kopi. We're lucky if kopi takes 30 shots. He's got a great shot, just hardly ever uses it.

Yeah sure, hes a better goal scorer then kopi. Kopi is better at literally everything else by a lot. But Carter is certainly the better goal scorer. Still unlikely that Carter scores 30 next season if you take pearson and Toffoli off his line.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Yeah sure, hes a better goal scorer then kopi. Kopi is better at literally everything else by a lot. But Carter is certainly the better goal scorer. Still unlikely that Carter scores 30 next season if you take pearson and Toffoli off his line.

Hey now, kopi is a great all around player but better by a lot? His passing and perhaps puck retention he's quite ahead of Carter but Carter is better at scoring and faster by quite a bit. The rest are pretty close imo.

And yes I agree Carter would have trouble scoring 30 without toffoli and Pearson but would still score more than 15 like kopi did.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

I understand your a massive Kopitar fanboy but what's your endgame here? You defend Kopi to death after his bad season then try to marginalize Carter when he was far and away the Kings best player last season? I don't get it

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I understand your a massive Kopitar fanboy but what's your endgame here? You defend Kopi to death after his bad season then try to marginalize Carter when he was far and away the Kings best player last season? I don't get it
A.) I was responding to someone who decided to compare Kopi and Carter.
B.) Call me a Massive Kopi Fanboy if u want. Truthfully we all should be considering the guy will go down as an all time great King and led us to our first 2 Stanley Cups in the history of our franchise.
C.) My end-game? How about attempt to get you all to stop *****ing about Kopi the one season he didnt lead us in scoring. And instead recognize that last year we had 2 top 6 wingers on the roster, both played with Carter. And if we dont address that we will continue to struggle offensively...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
We don't care about him leading the team in scoring. We care about him asserting himself in the offensive zone. He's too passive, anyone can see that.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
A.) I was responding to someone who decided to compare Kopi and Carter.
B.) Call me a Massive Kopi Fanboy if u want. Truthfully we all should be considering the guy will go down as an all time great King and led us to our first 2 Stanley Cups in the history of our franchise.
C.) My end-game? How about attempt to get you all to stop *****ing about Kopi the one season he didnt lead us in scoring. And instead recognize that last year we had 2 top 6 wingers on the roster, both played with Carter. And if we dont address that we will continue to struggle offensively...

I didn't start out comparing the two. But you insisted kopi was by far the better player. I was replying to you saying Carter couldn't score without toffoli and Pearson.

And we should be able to ***** about the highest paid player in the league having a terrible season all we want. He had a terrible year and got paid top tier money. I don't care what wingers he had, he's performed with terrible ones before. And for the record, it wasn't just about his scoring. All areas that you said he was far above Carter in, he played more like 3rd line center. Face offs were poor. Defense was no where near where he's capable of. Hell his strength of being able to keep the puck along the boards with ease disappeared and you want to blame it all on wingers?

It's time to call it what it is. People say brown is overpaid...unless he rebounds this year, which I hope he does BTW, will be a far worse contract than browns.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
No one is denying Kopi's legacy, stop trying to move the goal posts. Once again fans have a reason to be frustrated with Kopitar, he got his big contract and looked like he was floating the majority of the season, both in the offensive and defensive zones. It has little to do with him not leading the team in scoring. It's clear he wasn't playing up to his own standard even with the big contract and captaincy.

The line mate arguement is also weak, he still led the team offensively in years past with anchors like Calder, King, etc.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I dont have the stomach to argue with all the experts on here. I can tell you all will stick to your guns on your beliefs that the quality "or lack there of" of Kopitars wingers should have no impact on Kopitars production. Cool. Have fun with whining about Kopitar in every other thread. Bye

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
It's a fact that Kopitar has produced in years past with weak wingers, so why does he get to use that excuse now?

Truth hurts, I guess we should be happy that our 14 million dollar captain just had the worst year of his career when the team and organization needed him to step up more than ever?

Last edited:

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
It's a fact that Kopitar has produced in years past with weak wingers, so why does he get to use that excuse now when he should've been stepping up more than ever?

Truth hurts, I guess we should be happy that our 14 million dollar captain just had the worst year of his career when the team and organization needed him to step up more than ever?

I was gonna be done but you sucked me back in lol.

Needed him more then ever, ummm... We needed kopi on our joke of a last season, more than we needed him on our 2 stanley cup runs?! What a silly comment.

I wont respond to the rest of it since ive already done it multiple times. But the sheer ignorance of the "more then ever" comment had to be addressed...

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I was gonna be done but you sucked me back in lol.

Needed him more then ever, ummm... We needed kopi on our joke of a last season, more than we needed him on our 2 stanley cup runs?! What a silly comment.

I wont respond to the rest of it since ive already done it multiple times. But the sheer ignorance of the "more then ever" comment had to be addressed...

Yes, we could've gotten away with Kopitar being a 50 point player in 2012 and 2014 because the team had more firepower with prime Gaborik and Brown, Carter, Williams, Richards, etc. They didn't need Kopitar to be the workhorse that he needs to be now. It was well known that Kopitar was going to need a career year for the Kings to compete and he came out and laid an egg when he's supposed to be the leader of the franchise. He wanted to be paid like a top-10 player then did not perform like a top player in any form this past season.

I notice you keep going back to these same arguments "But 2 cups, nine years blah blah" no one is arguing how great Kopitar was during that time, and how important he was to those teams, but this disease of living in the past is why the organization is in the bad position that they are stuck in. It's been half a decade since 2012, it's not relevant to the current discussion of Kopitar's lackluster play in 2016-2017

When you look at the top-10 centers in the NHL, specifically playmakers like Kopitar, they all have the ability to make the players around them better, Kopitar did not show that ability in 2016-2017

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yes, we could've gotten away with Kopitar being a 50 point player in 2012 and 2014 because the team had more firepower with prime Gaborik and Brown, Carter, Williams, Richards, etc. They didn't need Kopitar to be the workhorse that he needs to be now. It was well known that Kopitar was going to need a career year for the Kings to compete and he came out and laid an egg when he's supposed to be the leader of the franchise. He wanted to be paid like a top-10 player then did not perform like a top player in any form this past season.

I notice you keep going back to these same arguments "But 2 cups, nine years blah blah" no one is arguing how great Kopitar was during that time, and how important he was to those teams, but this disease of living in the past is why the organization is in the bad position that they are stuck in. It's been half a decade since 2012, it's not relevant to the current discussion of Kopitar's lackluster play in 2016-2017

When you look at the top-10 centers in the NHL, specifically playmakers like Kopitar, they all have the ability to make the players around them better, Kopitar did not show that ability in 2016-2017

What I think the point Rusty is trying to make is that Kopitar has earned the benefit of the doubt. There's no excusing his atrocious play last year and with the money he is making he should absolutely be more than a shut down 50 point player that we saw last year. I think Rusty is just saying its frustrating to see everyone dumping on Kopitar when in the past he's shown to be a dominant player and everyone is acting like he's become Michal Handzus. I think Kopi will bounce back to his usual 70 point Selke self next season, but if by some chance he doesn't, then there is absolute reason to be concerned and he should be eviscerated. He's the captain and knows he had a **** year. I don't think anyone knows more about it than himself.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

You didn't know that the Kings scored more goals this past year than either cup year?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
You didn't know that the Kings scored more goals this past year than either cup year?

I actually didn't :laugh: 2012 sounds about right, 2014 is surprising. That being said those teams had more depth and were able to survive when Kopitar hit his cold streak. This team was doomed from the start with Kopitar not producing, obviously the goaltending situation didn't help things but this team had no chance if Kopitar didn't produce, and it's going to be the same story this year.

And to kings11, I think you made a very fair post, and for the record i do expect Kopitar to have a bounce back season as well. I can live with the team not making the playoffs if Kopitar returns to his normal self, but if he has another 50~ point season while struggling on face offs and in the defensive zone, then the organization has a serious problem

I just think the linemate argument is a weak excuse, he's not exactly playing with Tarasenko and Kane, but he still produced in the past with arguably worse linemates and doesn't explain the issues he had on defense

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad