Confirmed with Link: Kings signing Cammalleri to 1/yr deal, 1m + bonuses

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, we could've gotten away with Kopitar being a 50 point player in 2012 and 2014 because the team had more firepower with prime Gaborik and Brown, Carter, Williams, Richards, etc. They didn't need Kopitar to be the workhorse that he needs to be now. It was well known that Kopitar was going to need a career year for the Kings to compete and he came out and laid an egg when he's supposed to be the leader of the franchise. He wanted to be paid like a top-10 player then did not perform like a top player in any form this past season.

Kopitar led the team in goals in both 2012 and 2014. He ended up having to, because Gagne and Penner had 7 goals each in 2012, and Brown had forgotten how to score by 2014. Carter and Gaborik didn't show up until the deadline. Although in 2014, they did beat the Hawks and Rangers with 0 goals from Kopitar after Game 7 in Anaheim.

They don't need Kopitar today more than they have in the past, but they do need more than 12 goals, and scoring on 8% of his shots, when getting the 2nd fewest amount of shots on net in his career.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What I think the point Rusty is trying to make is that Kopitar has earned the benefit of the doubt. There's no excusing his atrocious play last year and with the money he is making he should absolutely be more than a shut down 50 point player that we saw last year. I think Rusty is just saying its frustrating to see everyone dumping on Kopitar when in the past he's shown to be a dominant player and everyone is acting like he's become Michal Handzus. I think Kopi will bounce back to his usual 70 point Selke self next season, but if by some chance he doesn't, then there is absolute reason to be concerned and he should be eviscerated. He's the captain and knows he had a **** year. I don't think anyone knows more about it than himself.

Thank you. Holy ****. You would think Kopitar got paid and gave up when everything he's done indicates he's the opposite. One bad year apparently invalidates an entire career. We've been 100% spoiled by his year in year out consistency that is literally unmatched by any player in the league for the last decade with respect to games played and PPG.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Thank you. Holy ****. You would think Kopitar got paid and gave up when everything he's done indicates he's the opposite. One bad year apparently invalidates an entire career. We've been 100% spoiled by his year in year out consistency that is literally unmatched by any player in the league for the last decade with respect to games played and PPG.

I've lost count how many times I have rolled my eyes regarding posts about Kopitar. I've bagged on him myself, but some of these posters make it out like he's chopped liver and will continue to spiral. Until we see consistent bad seasons, I'm not worried. And if you're not satisfied with the team or players, I consider taking a break from hockey and HF- I've done it before and it didn't hurt. We don't need repetitive comments, we all saw how he played.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If it was just Kopitar that was having a bad season than I would be more concerned. When the majority of your roster is underperforming simultaneously that points to a larger issue.

Kopitar was great in the World Cup last year and was one of the main reasons team Europe made it to the final.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
From reading this board you would think that Lombardi, Sutter and Kopitar are all compete trash. Three of the main guys responsible for turning the franchise around and ultimately winning us multiple cups.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I'm sorry if the kopi supporters are OK with his performance last year. Yes he brought us cups and has been outstanding his career. It does not excuse his play from last year. He's the captain and sure didn't play like one.

I love kopi, one of my favorite players. But when your getting paid as one of the best players in the league he should play like one.

He's not the only one who sucked last year, but he's going to have the biggest spotlight and blame since he's suppose to be the best player on the team.

I really hope he rebounds and has his best year but to get on people for calling out his poor performance over the entire year just based on what he's accomplished over the years is not fair.

Brown and gabby were great during the cup runs too, but they don't get a free pass like kopi to some of you...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I hate Kopitar. I have a personal vendetta against him.

There, I said it.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm sorry if the kopi supporters are OK with his performance last year. Yes he brought us cups and has been outstanding his career. It does not excuse his play from last year. He's the captain and sure didn't play like one.

I love kopi, one of my favorite players. But when your getting paid as one of the best players in the league he should play like one.

He's not the only one who sucked last year, but he's going to have the biggest spotlight and blame since he's suppose to be the best player on the team.

I really hope he rebounds and has his best year but to get on people for calling out his poor performance over the entire year just based on what he's accomplished over the years is not fair.

Brown and gabby were great during the cup runs too, but they don't get a free pass like kopi to some of you...

Not one person has said they were "OK" with his performance last year. I'm one of Kopi's biggest supporters and even I can't defend his **** play last year.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Whose "invalidating" his career because of last season? I don't recall anyone saying that Kopitar is not a HOF-caliber player just based off last season. He's an all-time great King and his number will hang from the Staples Center rafters one day, no one is arguing that.

The twisting of words on this board is ridiculous sometimes, no one is saying Kopitar, Sutter, and Lombardi are "complete trash" no one is saying that Kopitar's entire career is meaningless because of last season. But some of you guys act like we shouldn't be frustrated with Kopitar's season or shouldn't of been frustrated with where Lombardi and Sutter took this team. Do some posters (myself included) take it too far sometimes? Of course, I won't argue that, but it's because we know what this team and players are capable of when they play to their potential and that the organization could be in a much better position if some poor decisions had not been made.

These guys all deserve tons of credit for their work in turning the organization around, that doesn't mean they should be above criticism when they fail to perform at the level we all expect them to perform at, in the front office and on the ice

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Whose "invalidating" his career because of last season? I don't recall anyone saying that Kopitar is not a HOF-caliber player just based off last season. He's an all-time great King and his number will hang from the Staples Center rafters one day, no one is arguing that.

The twisting of words on this board is ridiculous sometimes, no one is saying Kopitar, Sutter, and Lombardi are "complete trash" no one is saying that Kopitar's entire career is meaningless because of last season. But some of you guys act like we shouldn't be frustrated with Kopitar's season or shouldn't of been frustrated with where Lombardi and Sutter took this team. Do some posters (myself included) take it too far sometimes? Of course, I won't argue that, but it's because we know what this team and players are capable of when they play to their potential and that the organization could be in a much better position if some poor decisions had not been made.

These guys all deserve tons of credit for their work in turning the organization around, that doesn't mean they should be above criticism when they fail to perform at the level we all expect them to perform at, in the front office and on the ice

The argument was literally "it's been half a decade since 2012" so it's not relevant to the current. That ignores everything he's done in the meantime to hyperfocus on last year's obviously ****** season and use that to extrapolate the kind of player he is. If you're not TRYING to do that fine. But this board is pretty well collectively forgetting he was literally one year removed from arguably the best of his career and now diagnosing everything that's wrong with him while conveniently forgetting everything that's right. Not saying not to be disappointed or critical, especially given I agree that his expectations should be commensurate with his contract and captaincy, only that the vacuum that it's being done in is shortsighted.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hate Kopitar. I have a personal vendetta against him.

There, I said it.

That's cute, but you have to understand at this point that your attitude towards Kopitar on this board comes off as more of a "waiting to say I told you so" than a "I truly hope he bounces back," so is it really surprising you're meeting resistance?

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
From reading this board you would think that Lombardi, Sutter and Kopitar are all compete trash. Three of the main guys responsible for turning the franchise around and ultimately winning us multiple cups.

True, but 2 out the 3 are responsible for the current state the team is in and were fired.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Personal? Did he leave you hanging on a high five. :naughty:

Low five, low five. :)

You prefer FrankenBerry cereal over Count Chocula?

As a kid, I was always partial to Quisp. :)

K17 thinks he spit on him. For the record, I support the second-spitter theory.

Nah, it was a magic loogie!

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If his wingers are good, he doesn't need to be great!
This.

1. I love Kopitar but he had a poor year, for whatever reason. Most if not all players have down years, so I'm over it already.
2. Kopitar does make those around him better. So if we put cr@ppy wingers out there with him, they will still contribute and be better than they would otherwise be.
3. If he has a down year with good wingers they can help him through the year and pick up some of the slack. If that's the case his numbers and the team aren't impacted as bad and it looks like a minor thing.
4. In his down year with junk on the wings, he doesn't make his wingers play better so they play like the bottom 6 wingers they really are. They also can't pick up any of the slack due to his poor form, so it ends up impacting the team massively.
5. That scenario (4) is not on Kopitar. Yes he should own his own poor form but the inability to provide him decent line mates is down to the Organisation. Be that the GM for not getting him a winger or two, the coach for choosing to give Carter the wingers instead (which may well be the correct team decision) or his team mates for not playing better themselves. It's a team game, both on and off the ice. So when your best player has a poor season you should be in a situation where your 'team' can pick up the slack. If your organisation can't do that then you aren't winning anything anyway.

So in summary, yes he had a down year, as things stand it's an outlier not a pattern and it isn't the reason we failed to win. Without a doubt he needs to bounce back but there is zero reason to think he can't. He's always battled through in the past so I expect he will do that again. If he doesn't then we have a big problem but every team with a player on a huge contract goes into every season with the same risk based on 'IF'. My shrink says worrying about 'IF's' is unhealthy.

Statto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad