Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Kitsyn and O'Neill

Jun 30, 2006
I love Dean for going for these Russian players that are clearly skilled. Congrats to max, he's going to be a good one. If porky can get over next year, our left wing depth is gonna be pretty good and almost solidly Russian.

Ill be hoping he's on the left side in manch with Nick Shore.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm sorry but I may be missing something. Who the hell is brian o'neill? And is he any good? The long lost brother of patrick o'neill?

We signed him out of college as a free agent. He was a scoring winger and captain of his team, but just a depth winger for the AHL. He is there mostly to fill out the Monarch's roster, he has no legitimate shot at making the Kings whatsoever.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm sorry but I may be missing something. Who the hell is brian o'neill? And is he any good? The long lost brother of patrick o'neill?

O'Neill is listed at 5'8" 165. He had 3 seasons at Yale, in which he scored 45, 46 and 46 points. Absolutely not horrible. I think he was also their captain....then had 3 goals and 12 assists in Manch last year in 49 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=107627

HolyShot*

We signed him out of college as a free agent. He was a scoring winger and captain of his team, but just a depth winger for the AHL. He is there mostly to fill out the Monarch's roster, he has no legitimate shot at making the Kings whatsoever.
Yeah I just checked his stats. Seems dean likes to take a chance on those small guys hoping that there's a diamond in the rough somewhere.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I agree with this, which makes me wonder why they didn't offer him an AHL deal only, so he wouldn't count against the contract limit.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I agree with this, which makes me wonder why they didn't offer him an AHL deal only, so he wouldn't count against the contract limit.

O'Neill shows some flashes of being a great player. He has tremendous speed and he creates plays with that speed. His problem imo is his finish. Creates plays but can't finish them. Reminds me a lot of Brad Richardson. But, Kings management sees something in him. He was even one the of the black aces this year. Which surprised me. However, it's only a 1 year deal so unless he significantly steps his game up this year, he'll be gone.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear

The Kings don't have that many people on the 50 contract limit so it's not like they really need to. They're currently at 42 -- 41 if MacDermid goes back to Juniors.

Link

Also, if they're on an AHL specific contract they're free to sign a NHL contract with any other team that makes them an offer and you could lose them outright for nothing.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
You guys are also forgetting that by signing O'Neill, he's ours. He's protected. If we signed him to an AHL only deal, another team could come in and sign him to an NHL deal and steal him away from us.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The Kings don't have that many people on the 50 contract limit so it's not like they really need to. They're currently at 42 -- 41 if MacDermid goes back to Juniors.

Link

Also, if they're on an AHL specific contract they're free to sign a NHL contract with any other team that makes them an offer and you could lose them outright for nothing.

I know we are low on the contracts, but why use one if you don't need to?

You guys are also forgetting that by signing O'Neill, he's ours. He's protected. If we signed him to an AHL only deal, another team could come in and sign him to an NHL deal and steal him away from us.

The question is, are we really concerned if we do lose him? Even Manchester posters in here seem like they've already given him no shot at being an NHLer. Now I haven't seen him, so I'll freely admit there might bve something I'm not seeing, but a 5'8 guy with four career AHL goals who is a 'scoring line forward' seems easy to replace IMO.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The question is, are we really concerned if we do lose him? Even Manchester posters in here seem like they've already given him no shot at being an NHLer. Now I haven't seen him, so I'll freely admit there might bve something I'm not seeing, but a 5'8 guy with four career AHL goals who is a 'scoring line forward' seems easy to replace IMO.

It's zero risk giving him this contract. I've seen him play a fair bit. I don't see him making it but he will be helpful for Manchester for sure. It really doesn't matter that we signed him to the NHL deal. We have the room for him. This year is the one that will be telling for him. If he can step in to a higher role with Toffoli gone, then great. If not, it's a one year deal.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Let them, TBH. O'Neill is nothing but a depth AHLer anyways with little no potential, IMO.

Meh don't think Kings are that close to 50 contract limit anyways, worse comes to worse they package a useless player like O'Neill on a deal as a favour to clear contract space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad