Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Jonny Brodzinski to ELC

Captain Mittens*

I appreciate the scouting reports, but I guess the bigger questions are 1. why did he drop to the 5th, 2. what are his weaknesses?

He was a late bloomer. He was passed over in 2011 and 2012. The Kings rolled the dice and were (apparently) right

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
he isn't a burner, but he's solid on his feet. i would say he is slightly above average speed wise, decent first few steps and fairly agile. i would rank him between TTT and Pearson in comparison.

as others said the kid is a good sniper. has a good knack for finding space and the puck. he seems to always find soft spots in a D and get a shot.

plays an aggressive up ice style on the forecheck when he is the lead forward, but will easily sit back in the F3 position when applicable.

he will fit great in the LA system imo

Thanks for the added insight. You need to post more. I always enjoy reading your opinions.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Alec Martinez was a hidden gem, as was Dwight King.

lol....... this is the Kings level of expectations.

Players like Zetterberg in Rd.7 or Datsyuk in Rd.6 is what i would consider hidden gems.

Martinez and Dwight King are more or less borderline NHL players who can be replaced by absolutely everyone.
At least in my book.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Players like Zetterberg in Rd.7 or Datsyuk in Rd.6 is what i would consider hidden gems.

Martinez and Dwight King are more or less borderline NHL players who can be replaced by absolutely everyone.
At least in my book.

Your book is wrong. If the Kings decided to trade Martinez the return would be quite good.

You expect every player in the NHL to fall into one of two categories: All-Star or Scrub. The truth is there are some very good players that will never be all-stars that fill valuable roles on their clubs.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

At least in my book.

You are delusional. How many of those examples can you provide? I'm talking about guys who can play in the NHL, you're bringing up home runs that no scout other than the ones employed by the Red Wings were aware of.

Captain Mittens*

Kurrilino, you are a legend, but you are way off here

Last edited by a moderator:

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Haven't seen this kid play, but if he turns out to be as good as people are claiming in a few years he'll be a solid addition to a team that sorely needs some scorers.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago

At least in my book.

put down the crack pipe.

neither one of those guys are borderline NHLers. for starters when was the last time either of them were back and forth between MAN and LA?

never, that's when

both of them are solid NHL players, both play significant roles for the Kings. both are in the line-up every night. if they were borderline as you state, they would be regular scratches and sent back and forth to/from the AHL when needed.

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas

At least in my book.

:shakehead

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Its this hidden thing talk, I dont understand. He had good numbers in his draft year so any scout must have known about Jonny B. That's my point. I pretty much said next to nothing.

I think its different when a prospect suddenly improves so much after being drafted.

His first year of draft eligibility, he played in high school before moving onto the USHL.

His second year of eligibility, he only mustered 22 points and was the 10th best scorer on the TEAM in the USHL.

He posted good numbers as a freshman in college, but he was on his third year of draft eligibility. He was also a project, given his commitment to college. Late blooming projects in their third year of draft eligibility just don't go high. He also has zero international competition experience, so he's never really been on the big stage.

I'm not as high on him as others are, but it does seem pretty straightforward as to why he fell to the 5th round.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

At least in my book.

You hit on two NHL roster players in a draft (doesn't matter what round) you are batting a 1000.

Ask any GM in the NHL what the purpose of the draft is, it will be 100% across the board what I just said above.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports...-brodzinski-signs-kings-leaves-scsu/70780928/

Brodzinski suffered a high ankle sprain in the first period of the NCAA West Regional semifinals against Michigan Tech but came back to play and scored the game-tying goal. He came back the next day and played in the regional championship against North Dakota but was not close to 100 percent.

"It was extremely tough even to walk on, but after the last couple of days, (trainer) Bryan (DeMaine) did a great job with rehab and I'm back to putting pressure on it," Brodzinski said. "It's a lot better today."

Brodzinski said that he will fly with his family to Los Angeles to watch the Kings' game Thursday against Edmonton. He said that the team's doctors will look at his injury and assess whether he will play at the end of the season.

"They'll let me know how many days it will be before I can get back," Brodzinski said. "If it's two weeks before I can skate, it wouldn't be worth me going back for the playoffs in Manchester. If it's that long, I'll come back to St. Cloud and finish out the school year here."

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I NEVER know what to think of college kids turning pro. Never. It just seems so hard to read when you have such a wide range of ages and talent abilities from guys who will never touch pro ice to NHL Allstars like Toews.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I NEVER know what to think of college kids turning pro. Never. It just seems so hard to read when you have such a wide range of ages and talent abilities from guys who will never touch pro ice to NHL Allstars like Toews.

it's a crap shoot, always has and always will be. it's no different than trying to evaluate kids out of the Jr leagues. wide range of talent and more important to me is size/physical stature.

you see a lot of midgets, with speed and hands but they are to small to play up at the next levels. now throw in a kid with NHL size and skill against them and you end up with a difficult situation to evaluate. do you ding the NHL prospect for playing against smaller/lesser competition?

the style of games in college and the Jrs is also more open and offense in nature, so this makes it tough to check a kid's attributes.

i look at the following as my base litmus test:
* physical build - knowing it's likely these kids are still growing and not maxed out
* hockey sense
* desire to succeed and win
* skating - speed, ability, agility
* hands - shooter, stick handling, passing
* physical style - do they play or initiate contact? do they shy away from it?

you look at those and you can get a good sense of where/how the kid may develop and turn into.

if they can't pass two of those then i don't see them as having the necessary tools to succeed. those will turn into 'holes' in their game that will be exposed at a higher level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad