Kings News: Kings sign Jeff Schultz [1 year, 700k]

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Does someone mind informing what the **** this conversation has to do with Jeff Schultz?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
So you're saying only old vets go to the khl?

No, I'm saying you don't think it's a little odd that a player with such talents is leaving the premier hockey league in the world? He's a bum and has no place on this team. The EXACT opposite player that Dean wants - lazy, no drive, and zero dedication.

Captain Mittens*

Does someone mind informing what the **** this conversation has to do with Jeff Schultz?

PiratesVsTemp.png

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Wow this is terrible for your team. I want to apologize on behalf of all caps fans for this signing. Sarge is by far the biggest ***** in hockey. Hes awful. I thought lombardi was a good gm but oh man. Just pray he wont see any nhl action.

Captain Mittens*

Wow this is terrible for your team. I want to apologize on behalf of all caps fans for this signing. Sarge is by far the biggest ***** in hockey. Hes awful. I thought lombardi was a good gm but oh man. Just pray he wont see any nhl action.

It's a 700k insurance policy. Willie had some health issues and you can never have enough depth

HolyShot*

No, I'm saying you don't think it's a little odd that a player with such talents is leaving the premier hockey league in the world? He's a bum and has no place on this team. The EXACT opposite player that Dean wants - lazy, no drive, and zero dedication.
The russian factor. A good example of prejudice against russians. So you're saying that DL would pass on a skill player if he had no drive and no dedication? What about kopitar? Does he really show a lot of drive and dedication? Spirit? Intangibles?

As for schultz, the guy could turn it around here in LA. We actually play team defense here, not willy nilly east coast shin hockey.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Things that I am not holding my breath for:

1. Transporters as in Star Trek (talk about an easy way around plot problems!)

2. Rational decision-making and governance in the state of California

3. Jeff Schultz to be an effective hockey player

I'm not saying these things are IMPOSSIBLE, I'm just not really getting my hopes up.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
So any word on Muzzin signing? I could see Muzzin sitting there being like, " I got to get me some of that Voynov money!" and DL not saying a word just signing another defensemen.... am I nuts? What's the news on Muzzin/Martines?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The russian factor. A good example of prejudice against russians. So you're saying that DL would pass on a skill player if he had no drive and no dedication? What about kopitar? Does he really show a lot of drive and dedication? Spirit? Intangibles?

As for schultz, the guy could turn it around here in LA. We actually play team defense here, not willy nilly east coast shin hockey.

Well, I have never seen Kopitar quit on a backcheck.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Things that I am not holding my breath for:

1. Transporters as in Star Trek (talk about an easy way around plot problems!)

2. Rational decision-making and governance in the state of California

3. Jeff Schultz to be an effective hockey player

I'm not saying these things are IMPOSSIBLE, I'm just not really getting my hopes up.

Never say never.......

"Scientists teleport matter more than 3 feet"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482264,00.html

I mean when it comes to most attempts at practical application of applied theoretical physics we are little more than monkeys banging sticks around so if we can actually teleport matter 3ft then it is possible that DL and co and can turn Schultz into an effective #7NHL dman.

I mean, the caps aren't a good team really and are not known for being all too defence oriented so there has to at least be a possibility that with hard work and loads of training that we might be able to bring him along as a #7.

It could happen?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
All that matters is that Schultz can look good in a suit and make sure the ice in Lombardi's Scotch is always tended to.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Low risk, high reward , insurance policy type player....What is so hard to understand about this signing.

Had Lombardi tried to land someone like Schultz at the deadline, or during the trade market. Teams would have been asking him for 2nd/3rd round picks.

I would rather Dean Lombardi pay 700k for these type of gamble's, Not draft picks.

Also the contract is one year.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Low risk, high reward , insurance policy type player....What is so hard to understand about this signing.

Had Lombardi tried to land someone like Schultz at the deadline, or during the trade market. Teams would have been asking him for 2nd/3rd round picks.

I would rather Dean Lombardi pay 700k for these type of gamble's, Not draft picks.

Also the contract is one year.

The puzzlement has nothing to do with the contract or even the player. It is the why of it. We have 9 defensemen now, Schultz demanded a trade because he wants playing time, this is a guy who will not be happy in the press box. We just resigned Ellerby who is a younger replica of Schultz as well. People are puzzled about this because it has to be another transaction, but gives us little hint as to what. Trade? Demotion? Another injury? Who knows...

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I agree it's hard to understand today of this signing. I havn't read any of DL's comments about it. So we can believe that there's more to this and the Summer has just started basically. Plenty of time, which is tough when we live in a "need to know now" world.

A saw where WSH signed Kolomatis. I wonder how many would have been upset with a Kolo for JS trade?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To make sense of this signing, you have to look at it as backup in case any of the following happens:

1) An injury to one or two defensemen. As we saw with what the Kings went through this past season, losing up to two regulars on the blueline will hurt the depth of any blueline.

2) If the Kings lose a reserve defenseman. I think that Schultz and Ellerby were signed so that the Kings could waive one and retain the other once they determine who the 6th-7th defensemen will be come opening night. We still don't know what the Kings' plans are for Martinez, so once that decision is settled, we have to assume that both Ellerby and Schultz are just additional bodies in training camp who are not guaranteed of any roster spot.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
To make sense of this signing, you have to look at it as backup in case any of the following happens:

1) An injury to one or two defensemen. As we saw with what the Kings went through this past season, losing up to two regulars on the blueline will hurt the depth of any blueline.

2) If the Kings lose a reserve defenseman. I think that Schultz and Ellerby were signed so that the Kings could waive one and retain the other once they determine who the 6th-7th defensemen will be come opening night. We still don't know what the Kings' plans are for Martinez, so once that decision is settled, we have to assume that both Ellerby and Schultz are just additional bodies in training camp who are not guaranteed of any roster spot.

That's what it seems to be, but then why would Schultz sign here? It is not like the guy is Hunter or Moreau, he can play and is currently disgruntled from not getting minutes. Why would he sign with LA? Were we really his only option? He has no place on that chart.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Don't give me that Russian ********. That schtick is old. I'm not predjudice against Russian players. However I do hate lazy players.

Funny you bring up Kopitar. I guess he was pretty lazy during our Cup run? He's NEVER quit on a play like that. Ever. He has everything - drive, dedication, and yes, intangibles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad