Kings News: Kings sign Jeff Schultz [1 year, 700k]

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's what it seems to be, but then why would Schultz sign here? It is not like the guy is Hunter or Moreau, he can play and is currently disgruntled from not getting minutes. Why would he sign with LA? Were we really his only option? He has no place on that chart.

Difficult to say, but my guess is that maybe he wanted a new challenge with a competitive team that emphasizes defense? Maybe he viewed the Kings style of play and system as something that is more suitable for him? I guess we won't know until we see him in training camp and where he stands on the roster and the depth chart, which will take shape in late September.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
This signing means negotiations with Muzzin or Martinez are not going well. The QO that the Kings offered will be filed for arbitration and if they win we can't pay them. I hope I am wrong though.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
No... Ellerby is a depth move, signing Shultz means we are losing a D.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This signing means negotiations with Muzzin or Martinez are not going well. The QO that the Kings offered will be filed for arbitration and if they win we can't pay them. I hope I am wrong though.

Right or not it is an astute observation. I know I for one haven't heard anything about either player looking at arb but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

A Mart thought he was being dealt at or shortly after the draft. I have to wonder what the hold up is and it easily could have something to do with how the rest of our contracts work out.

It could mean nothing as well but at least it is an interesting observation.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Ellerby and Martinez were the scratches last playoffs. With Mitchell replacing Scuderi, it will remain the same except now we added Schultz. So I imagine Martinez or Ellerby will be dealt. Or come training camp, one of Ellerby or Schultz will be waived or sent down. Kings won't waive Martinez, he has more value than those two.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Lombardi doesn't react that quickly over contract talks. Schultz was a day one signing.

I am missing something (which clearly happens often enough :) ).

The Kings have been negotiating with its unsigned players since the season ended. So it could mean that if things don't work out that players like Marty and Muzzs might rather go to arb then sign a contract that they weren't happy with, couldn't it?

I mean I don't think that is where we are but it isn't an impossibility or, like I have said, did I miss something?

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Ellerby was signed 48 hours after Scuderi turned down our last offer, last Tuesday I believe and Ellerby signed on Thursday. Scuderi then signs with Pitts.
I think DL signed Shultz because one or both Muzz and Marts are not giving in to the QO contract. I'll guess we'll wait till the 15th to see if they go to arbitration or not.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Ellerby was signed 48 hours after Scuderi turned down our last offer, last Tuesday I believe and Ellerby signed on Thursday. Scuderi then signs with Pitts.
I think DL signed Shultz because one or both Muzz and Marts are not giving in to the QO contract. I'll guess we'll wait till the 15th to see if they go to arbitration or not.

Tough to say for sure. With the Kings not qualifying Ellerby the evening of July 4th was pretty much the earliest that the deal could be announced... Schultz signed right away at the start of free agency as well so the Kings may have been sitting on both deals a day or two earlier than they reached the publics ear. Schultz signing is likely just simply a depth signing of a player that DL had an interest in and could be had for cheap. If Muzzin and A-Mart go to arbitration the Kings have the flexibility to roll with Schultz and Ellerby if they have to walk away from the arbitration ruling. At the same time if Scuderi left (which he later did) they Kings still had 8 serviceable d-men under contract or owning their rights. Also this may simply be a case of DL wanting competition for the 6-7 d-men in camp. With Doughty, Voinov, Greene, Mitchell, Schultz, Ellerby, (hopefully Muzzin, and A-mart,) and younger guys like Campbell, Bodnarchuk, Deslauriers, etc trying to win spots, that's some pretty fierce competition for those last few roster spots. The Kings just put whover doesn't make it on waivers (or in a trade if one can be found) and nothing is really lost in the end. Some are reading way too much into what is simply a move to add depth at either the NHL or AHL level.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Let's not forget that a majority of arbitration cases don't end up proceeding. Sure, it is a negotiation tool for players and clubs, but in this case I don't believe that the Kings are concerned over whatever amount Muzzin or Martinez or whoever else elects to go to arbitration will be asking for. If Lombardi didn't think he'd have them signed or he can't afford them, he'd move them out before putting his club in a tight predicament. The man spends hours preparing for any unforeseen circumstances.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Let's not forget that a majority of arbitration cases don't end up proceeding. Sure, it is a negotiation tool for players and clubs, but in this case I don't believe that the Kings are concerned over whatever amount Muzzin or Martinez or whoever else elects to go to arbitration will be asking for. If Lombardi didn't think he'd have them signed or he can't afford them, he'd move them out before putting his club in a tight predicament. The man spends hours preparing for any unforeseen circumstances.

This!

You think after how well Dean's done in LA, we could unanimously trust him. All hail Lombardi!!!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think Muzzin has the inside track on that #6 D spot. I think we can all agree in terms of value:

Martinez
Ellerby
Schultz

It definitely does seem that way. I think the Kings view Muzzin as less of a vulnerable option on defense given his size and ability to play against bigger players, which Martinez struggled with this past season without Greene on his opposite side. I'm thinking that the Kings saw how exposed Martinez was without Greene and that ended up resulting in frequent visits in the press box.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think that upside of Muzzin is going to be too appealing to trade away.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Hey, if Muzzin tightens it up in his own end and the offense doesn't dry up, he could be a marginal 2nd pairing guy somewhere down the road. That's nothing to sneer at.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Hey, if Muzzin tightens it up in his own end and the offense doesn't dry up, he could be a marginal 2nd pairing guy somewhere down the road. That's nothing to sneer at.

That'd be preferable than say, a future Joe Corvo.

KingKopitar11*

Doughty is god. Muzzin was blessed to get those points from doughty taking all the attention.

If muzzin can stop playing like a potato defensively then he will be very good. Let's hope his game develops because he has good hands offensively and a nice shot.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Things that I am not holding my breath for:

1. Transporters as in Star Trek (talk about an easy way around production budget problems!)

2. Rational decision-making and governance in the state of California

3. Jeff Schultz to be an effective hockey player

I'm not saying these things are IMPOSSIBLE, I'm just not really getting my hopes up.

FTFY. Landing a spacecraft every week was too expensive.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I have a feeling the waiting is on holloway and July 15th. If that date goes by and he is not signed I think that is when DL will end up doing his trade. There are plenty of things DL can do....I wouldn't worry about them not signing yet...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad