Kings News: Kings sign Jeff Schultz [1 year, 700k]

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I have a feeling the waiting is on holloway and July 15th. If that date goes by and he is not signed I think that is when DL will end up doing his trade. There are plenty of things DL can do....I wouldn't worry about them not signing yet...

What's happening on the 15th? Gotta wait for the Bastille Day celebration hangover to wear off, I guess.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Washington has had four head coaches (Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates) since Schultz first NHL season - 2006-07. That's four disparate individuals. Schultz just needs to settle into a steady roll on a defense oriented team. And work hard at his game!

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
that's the day he becomes a free agent if he hasn't signed with the Kings.

He's actually already a UFA as of last week along with other UFAs. The July 15th date is the date that he has to opt out of his SHL contract by. He basically has to sign with an NHL team and inform Skelleftea that he'll be returning to NA by that day. Its was written into his Skelleftea contract.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Washington has had four head coaches (Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates) since Schultz first NHL season - 2006-07. That's four disparate individuals. Schultz just needs to settle into a steady roll on a defense oriented team. And work hard at his game!

Yup I think Shultz can really thrive in sutter's system. If not oh well @ 700k he is well worth the risk.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

This is a great point^.

Also under coach BB Schultz' #'s were dead solid in every area of his game. He was a really good jr player and started struggling at the same time the rest of the Capitals did. Even then his worst season saw his +/- drop down to a minus -6.

The Caps are an awful team who only started showing signs of life once BB got there and then have returned back to being a borderline playoff team that is in need of some pretty big changes if it wants to get back to its glory days.

In 2008 (BB's first season) Schultz was the Caps best Dman according to most pundits and in so far as the stats show (lead in +/- toi and 2nd on team scoring).

The Caps D in 08 were Erskine Morrison Poti and Jurcinca. Now Poti has been an average Dman but surely isn't a top pairing guy and the same can be said about Shaone Morrison too. Erskine and Jurcinca are 5/6 guys on a good team at best.

Cap fans can hate on Schultz all they want and certainly have reason to be disappointed with his play last season and really ever since they fired BB but he was far from their worst Dman for the four seasons that BB was head coach.

Remember BB was our next in line coach before he left to start his career as a head coach in the NHL and since he seemed to get pretty solid play out of JS then maybe DL see's the correlation between the two.

The following season the Caps added Mgreene to Poti Morrison and Schultz (along with Tyler Sloan and then Joe Corvo later) and while their D corps solidified it also allowed for Schultz a young developing D to play a more defined role. He went +50 that season.

The season after that the Caps added notable D Carl Alzner, John Carlson and Dennis Wideman (for 27 games) giving them further depth. Schultz had another solid season and was an effective #4dman.

Then the Caps started going South and so did their D. Top to bottom they all started playing very poorly and Schultz' play definitely suffered heavily causing him to become a whipping boy for the fans.

I am not saying that Schultz is a great but misused or misunderstood Dman who only needs his chance to become the next Scott Stevens, only that he has allot more skill and capabilities then most of the Cap fans have been saying.

I see him as a solid pick up as an insurance policy that could if things go right end up being a serviceable #6/7 guy for us and at his price DL did a great job getting him

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
He's actually already a UFA as of last week along with other UFAs. The July 15th date is the date that he has to opt out of his SHL contract by. He basically has to sign with an NHL team and inform Skelleftea that he'll be returning to NA by that day. Its was written into his Skelleftea contract.

Wouldn't Holloway want to sign before the 15th, then? I'm not clear on why it's taking this long.

If he doesn't sign by the 15th, he goes back to Skelleftea?

Maybe this should go in the Holloway thread.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Wouldn't Holloway want to sign before the 15th, then? I'm not clear on why it's taking this long.

He is just taking his time to make the right decision.

If he doesn't notify Skelftea by 7/15 his agreement with the SHL runs out.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

It's already in there somewhere (page ~19 or 20 maybe) where it was discussed.

It's likely a case of what TG said above. Sounds like he is perfectly happy staying in Skelleftea unless he gets whatever it is he wants from an NHL team. No rush to decide one way or the other.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Ellerby was signed 48 hours after Scuderi turned down our last offer, last Tuesday I believe and Ellerby signed on Thursday. Scuderi then signs with Pitts.
I think DL signed Shultz because one or both Muzz and Marts are not giving in to the QO contract. I'll guess we'll wait till the 15th to see if they go to arbitration or not.

I was wrong... 4 of them are in arbitration not just Amart and Muzz!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Ellerby's signing was delayed due to being at Kopi's wedding. The deal was done before it was signed. Can we stop the ****ing Scuds/Ellerby tic tac toe please?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad