Kings Prospect Pool Voting: Ranking #2

Who is the #2 Kings prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I never considered Turcotte's upside super high. It was always 50-60pts two way center.
Not that far off from what I still think.. I think at minimum he’s a 55pt player, if he was to actually stay healthy and play with say Kaliyev and a defensively responsible forward like Phil the Thrill, he could be near 70pt player., Turcotte-Kaliyev needs to be tried as they have chemistry going back to their team USA 🇺🇸 days!

Turcotte-Danault-Kaliyev

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think Turcotte is still up there, but just barely. Pinellii has really jumped. Turcotte has the best hockey brain out of the remaining bunch, but he needs to be more savvy with his on-ice awareness. Take a page from RV's book where he gets hit, but he knows exactly how to absorb and minimize it. RV goes flying a lot, but he bounces back up because he knows how to control his body and reduce force, kind of like a skater on a ramp.

Looking at that chart, the Kings prospect pool isn't what it once was, but when they kept rolling out at #1 I was happy, but I always thought they were just a hair overrated. From my view, it's been really hard to rank prospect pools because like the league they all seem to be drifting towards the middle. That's also impacted by the fact that we haven't had a really deep, solid draft for some time. 2016 was the last time I've been really impressed by a draft class overall.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Looking at that chart, the Kings prospect pool isn't what it once was, but when they kept rolling out at #1 I was happy, but I always thought they were just a hair overrated. From my view, it's been really hard to rank prospect pools because like the league they all seem to be drifting towards the middle. That's also impacted by the fact that we haven't had a really deep, solid draft for some time. 2016 was the last time I've been really impressed by a draft class overall.
Part of the unimpressive appearance is my own criteria. I cut it off at Calder eligibility. Some go by 23 and under, which would include Byfield, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, etc.

But I usually think that's kinda cheap and double-dipping for players who shouldn't really count as a prospect anymore. Like, should Bedard be considered a prospect after playing all season in Chicago? Is Beniers a prospect despite just winning rookie of the year? Hence the cut off from me.

There are some young players who still can provide a good future outlook for the Kings. The "prospect pool" we're voting on is just limited in scope.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Part of the unimpressive appearance is my own criteria. I cut it off at Calder eligibility. Some go by 23 and under, which would include Byfield, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, etc.

But I usually think that's kinda cheap and double-dipping for players who shouldn't really count as a prospect anymore. Like, should Bedard be considered a prospect after playing all season in Chicago? Is Beniers a prospect despite just winning rookie of the year? Hence the cut off from me.

There are some young players who still can provide a good future outlook for the Kings. The "prospect pool" we're voting on is just limited in scope.
Wasn't the old site from years ago a combination? Something along the lines of 24 and under or 80+ NHL games played.
Then you'd still be able to fit a couple of those guys in the list while screening out the NHL full-timers.

My vote; Pinelli, add Moverare

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not that far off from what I still think.. I think at minimum he’s a 55pt player, if he was to actually stay healthy and play with say Kaliyev and a defensively responsible forward like Phil the Thrill, he could be near 70pt player., Turcotte-Kaliyev needs to be tried as they have chemistry going back to their team USA 🇺🇸 days!

Turcotte-Danault-Kaliyev
I think this is super optimistic.

He doesn't really do much of anything better than JAD does really.

Reactions: BigBrown

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Had to stick with Turcotte due to that upside, but yeah, this is almost the end of the line. Really pulling for him to stay healthy and see some NHL ice this year when the injury bug hits.

Reactions: ru4reals

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wasn't the old site from years ago a combination? Something along the lines of 24 and under or 80+ NHL games played.
Then you'd still be able to fit a couple of those guys in the list while screening out the NHL full-timers.

My vote; Pinelli, add Moverare
It's possible, I honestly don't remember. It's a reasonable cut off. If I remember next year, or if someone else prefers to run this to pass the time (because admittedly I may forget), it would definitely make for some interesting polls!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

This poll does make it look a lot more dire as far as "youth" goes since it doesn't include the guys you listed plus "etc" also known as Jordan Spence who only has 33 total NHL games to his credit.

Byfield/Kaliyev/Spence would all be listed before whoever wins the #2 spot in this poll. Bjornfot possibly as well.

That said, the choices for #2 are disgusting. Seems like you can toss several of the names into a hat and just pull them out and rank by luck of the draw.

I legitimately do not know who to select and kind of want to pick Ziemmer just because he hasn't had a chance to let me down yet even though he is a just-drafted 3rd rounder with zero pro experience.

As for the comments about the Turcotte "upside", what are you all expecting? That he still has the upside of the stud 200-foot 2C from when he was drafted or the "elite 3C" Fox was pitching us back in the 2022 season before another injury-marred campaign in '23? The former left a long time ago.

Reactions: BigBrown

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think this is super optimistic.

He doesn't really do much of anything better than JAD does really.
Ah but you see or rather can’t see what he actually does.. meaning he creates chances at a higher rate than anyone on the Kings, he is absolutely a driver and you can see that with Zegras and Kaliyev on the national team. You can see it in Ontario even though the guys there are a few steps behind Turcotte in the way they think the game. He’s put up points even though the more talented wingers play with Tynan and he’s also a PP afterthought.
Point being, the things he does don’t often show up in the score sheet but they sure as hell win you games. Granted, all of this won’t matter if he can’t get a full season in but I’m willing to bet he’s going to turn plenty of heads in camp!

Reactions: Surf Nutz

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Ah but you see or rather can’t see what he actually does.. meaning he creates chances at a higher rate than anyone on the Kings, he is absolutely a driver and you can see that with Zegras and Kaliyev on the national team. You can see it in Ontario even though the guys there are a few steps behind Turcotte in the way they think the game. He’s put up points even though the more talented wingers play with Tynan and he’s also a PP afterthought.
Point being, the things he does don’t often show up in the score sheet but they sure as hell win you games. Granted, all of this won’t matter if he can’t get a full season in but I’m willing to bet he’s going to turn plenty of heads in camp!
Hopefully his head doesn't turn...

As for Kaliyev and Zegras, they can score with pretty much anybody. They both have arguably elite-level offensive weapons within their respective skillsets. I'm not going to get too excited about a nice D+2 U20 WJC that seems like five years and five concussions ago. If we are talking ancient WJCs, I'll take the fact that Kaliyev had a great WJC in his D+1 year while Turcotte struggled.

Regardless, WJCs only matter when our prospects do well and is just some dumb, short tournament when they under perform.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Hopefully his head doesn't turn...

As for Kaliyev and Zegras, they can score with pretty much anybody. They both have arguably elite-level offensive weapons within their respective skillsets. I'm not going to get too excited about a nice D+2 U20 WJC that seems like five years and five concussions ago. If we are talking ancient WJCs, I'll take the fact that Kaliyev had a great WJC in his D+1 year while Turcotte struggled.

Regardless, WJCs only matter when our prospects do well and is just some dumb, short tournament when they under perform.
Arty can absolutely score but he also needs to be put in his spots and Turc did and does that without missing a beat. I mean just look at what he and Madden did, Tyler was struggling then Turc helped him get going only for Sturm to move him to the another line. You’d expect that this season Turc will be put in better offensive situations like the top line C, PP time and better wingers but we’ll see … I think mayor had
Madden-Turcotte-Chromiak, so that should help

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
wtf surfnutz?! You voted for Ziemmer when everyone else voted for Clarke, now you voted for Pinelli, and not Ziemmer?! This is why democracy is stupid :laugh:
Thought it was a solitary #1 prospect poll only and that made it so stupid.
Turns out I was the dumb one.
So I purposefully disrupted it.
Communism only works for the elite as we are seeing.
LA Kings board has established itself as the One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest of HFB.
Nice job by a few of the regulars here!

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think Turcotte is still up there, but just barely. Pinellii has really jumped. Turcotte has the best hockey brain out of the remaining bunch, but he needs to be more savvy with his on-ice awareness. Take a page from RV's book where he gets hit, but he knows exactly how to absorb and minimize it. RV goes flying a lot, but he bounces back up because he knows how to control his body and reduce force, kind of like a skater on a ramp.

Bingo on Arvi.
The rooks should be shown a detailed video.
Pretty sure they have incorporated the Turcootie experience as part of the curriculum.
You don't summit Mount Everest without a guide.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Pinelli just finished 11th in the OHL in scoring and outscored his closest teammate by 31 points. He had a higher points per game than several guys in the top ten as well.

With regards to Turcotte, it certainly wouldn’t be the first time we underestimated an oft-injured 21 year old with loads of talent. I wonder who we trade him for next offseason if he breaks out this year?

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Pinelli just finished 11th in the OHL in scoring and outscored his closest teammate by 31 points. He had a higher points per game than several guys in the top ten as well.

With regards to Turcotte, it certainly wouldn’t be the first time we underestimated an oft-injured 21 year old with loads of talent. I wonder who we trade him for next offseason if he breaks out this year?
Vilardi never lacked skill even at the NHL level. Turcotte has disappointed when playing, relative to draft position, at the AHL level and disappointed relative to Jeff Giuliano at the NHL level.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Vilardi never lacked skill even at the NHL level. Turcotte has disappointed when playing, relative to draft position, at the AHL level and disappointed relative to Jeff Giuliano at the NHL level.

Okay but Jeff Giuliano might be the worst hockey player to ever play a game in the NHL. I voted Pinelli not Turcotte, but there’s still a (very) small chance he turns into a middle six NHLer.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Injuries are the question.

There is ZERO question whether he has NHL ability.

'Talent' isn't just stickhandling in a 10 ft square, it's playing with pace and supporting your teammates.

Turcotte does that at a better level than almost anyone in the organization right now and should be in the NHL just on that alone, the ultimate question is whether his offense develops at a high level worthy of his draft position--and it's clear his shot isn't going to do that so you have to put a playmaker with guys who make plays. Bottom of the lineup, he'll be Lizotte, Trevor Lewis. up the lineup--he'll be at least Iafallo. With all the others--I have questions on what they can bring if it's not offense.

Obviously--healthy pending.

Edit: actually even with health I'd add 'strength' to that, he's skilled on the boards but Mike Richards was able to bull his way thru, Turcotte needs that element too. But ultimately, people are completely underrating his skillset altogether. In any other organization he's playing at least in the middle six.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad