Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Panthers, 7:30EST - 5/2/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
As we get deeper into the season with 33 games remaining, every game becomes our most important of the year.

With one game in hand on Boston (two after tonight), and seven points behind them (three games left head to head) the playoffs are still very much in sight.

What makes this game even more important is how bad LA needs this game as well. They woke up this morning to find themselves in 12th place in the Western conference. The defending champs can't afford to lose many more if they want a chance to repeat.

Who starts? Who sits?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I like the team we iced vs the Isles. This should be a good game since both teams MUST win.

I'm also scared we will get blown out.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
A post of mine from our NYI GDT, post game:

Season’s definitely not over yet. Glad I didn’t cry ‘the sky is falling’ last night post game.

I have yet to watch the game (I have it taped, working nights) but will tomorrow. Just checking in post GDT and see people think Montoya should get another start, and I agree.

When we played the Kings in Oct., Luo let in 4 goals on 25 shots before he was pulled. Even though Montoya came in and saved 1 of 2, he has earned another start tonight it seems. Hopefully this gets him out of the gutter and back to being the good goalie he was last season with the Jets. I think the difference this year to lasts is he’s getting less starts. He had his second career highest GP last season with 28 ( 13-8-3, 2.30GAA, .920SV%).

I still believe he should have got that start in Winnipeg, after the year he had prior with them. I know Luo was hot, but that would have been nice start for Al. And with Hindsight being 20/20, Luo probably could have used rest before the All-Star break.
**For the record, I don’t think Luo’s been right since Ovie collided with him in Washington.

Montoya can be a valuable part of the machine; we just have to keep him well oiled.

After just watching the game Montoya did allow quite a few rebounds. But I still stand by my statement in letting him start again. Let Luo have a nice break until Sunday when we have a afternoon game against Nashville. If we are indeed making a playoff run, we need our best player, Luongo, healthy and rested.

As for who sits, I think Thorton sits again, and I don't know, maybe Upshall gets the short end of the stick. I want to see Bergy back in the lineup and a Bergy - MacK - Kopecky 4th line, so much speed.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
As we get deeper into the season with 33 games remaining, every gamebecomes our most important of the year.

With one game in hand on Boston (two after tonight), and seven points behind them (three games left head to head) the playoffs are still very much in sight.

What makes this game even more important is how bad LA needs this game as well. They woke up this morning to find themselves in 12th place in the Western conference. The defending champs can't afford to lose many more if they want a chance to repeat.

Who starts? Who sits?

Discuss.

Not sure I mentioned this but great meeting you over the holidays.

My 6 in 5 thread aside, We need a 104 point pace to get to 96 pts a realistic playoff position.

Its doable but requires exactly what you said;every game becomes our most important of the year.

I would reward the same lineup that kicked arse vs islanders.

And yes Id play LU. He is our franchise player. We are going nowhere without him. BUT I respect the sentiment to give Montoya another one.

PS: Rocco and Trocheck had a hell of a game last night one of em tied it late and both scored on shootout. Just saying.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I cannot believe a team with the likes of Jonathan Quick, Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter and Drew Doughty is sitting 12th in the Western Conference. Mind boggling.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Not sure I mentioned this but great meeting you over the holidays.

My 6 in 5 thread aside, We need a 104 point pace to get to 96 pts a realistic playoff position.

Its doable but requires exactly what you said;every game becomes our most important of the year.

I would reward the same lineup that kicked arse vs islanders.

And yes Id play LU. He is our franchise player. We are going nowhere without him. BUT I respect the sentiment to give Montoya another one.

PS: Rocco and Trocheck had a hell of a game last night one of em tied it late and both scored on shootout. Just saying.

Pleasure meeting you & CH also. I am a lone wolf Panther fan here in SW Ontario, so to meet fellow fans and talk team, I was in my element.

Tough one on Luo. He got lit up against LA in October. Going to try and find game highlights before I head to work to see the goals he allowed.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I cannot believe a team with the likes of Jonathan Quick, Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter and Drew Doughty is sitting 12th in the Western Conference. Mind boggling.

Reminds me of last year. Sluggish through most of the season, yet turn it on when they need to.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
Looking forward to a good game! I've been to 3 losses so far this season, maybe this will finally be the game they win when I'm in attendance....

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Losing Voynov was huge, and tough on Doughty having to play 30 min a night.

Also Quick has not been good. I heard somewhere his save percentage since November was below . 900.

Shows how important goaltending is.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Also Quick has not been good. I heard somewhere his save percentage since November was below . 900.

A big loss for them has been Mitchell. Our gain though.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
those 3 games against Boston might as well be the playoffs for this team. after tonight, gonna have 2 games in hand and be either 7, 8, or 9 points behind (hopefully 7, go rangers?).

So factor that in, that's 10 points that directly impact the standings and overall points count. Any points the Panthers can keep away from the Bruins helps lessen the requirements at the end of the season. Could be the difference between needing 96 points or 92 in the final standings.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
those 3 games against Boston might as well be the playoffs for this team. after tonight, gonna have 2 games in hand and be either 7, 8, or 9 points behind (hopefully 7, go rangers?).

So factor that in, that's 10 points that directly impact the standings and overall points count. Any points the Panthers can keep away from the Bruins helps lessen the requirements at the end of the season. Could be the difference between needing 96 points or 92 in the final standings.

Would not be shocked if isles/pens/ caps falter.

Seen it before.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Pleasure meeting you & CH also. I am a lone wolf Panther fan here in SW Ontario, so to meet fellow fans and talk team, I was in my element.

Tough one on Luo. He got lit up against LA in October. Going to try and find game highlights before I head to work to see the goals he allowed.

:cheers:

Sry it had to be a meeting on the Rangers side, I'll take full blame for that one. Not going to lie, it was the one time my neutrality was out the window. How many times will I ever sit with the Lundqvist family again??

Al was great that game, he was great last night. Lu is still our bread and butter though, he should start whenever he can.

I think we're all Rangers fans tonight.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

In fairness to Quick, those numbers are a direct result of being left to dry, not that he hasn't been good.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I'd start Cubano for sure. I think Lu needs a bit of a reset to get into his grove again.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Could this be a sign that we're improving a little? Having the same number of points as the 2-time cup champs from the past 5 seasons..

LAK: 50 - 21 - 17 - 10 = 54 points
FLA: 49 - 22 - 17 - 12 = 54 points

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Could this be a sign that we're improving a little? Having the same number of points as the 2-time cup champs from the past 5 seasons..

Ouff our record has really started to look like trash since we started losing..

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Does anyone know how many points we had after 49 games last season?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

You got the OTL loses the wrong way around. I was wondering how the hell you did the match for those totals

On a side note 2 teams actually have more OTL this season than us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad