Kings News: Kings officially letting go of Cristopher Gibson and Michael Schumacher

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
They should have released Berube years ago, will never touch NHL ice. Gibson was a mistake from the beginning already, wasted 2nd rounder.

I'm actually surprised about Schumacher. Do Not Like.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They should have released Berube years ago, will never touch NHL ice. Gibson was a mistake from the beginning already, wasted 2nd rounder.

Uh what? Not very familiar with NHL contract situations I take it.

Berube was signed to an ELC. There is no way to "release" him, baring a buyout which would cost waay more money and use up cap space than it would to put him in the minors.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Schumacher's odds of playing in the NHL are very low. You're just complaining over nothing.

Jun 30, 2006

Berube has improved his game each year he's been with the org.

If you read the scouting report, he was extremely raw but has all the tools to be a good goalie in the NHL. The only thing he was lacking was experience, and he's getting it in this organization. So the plan all along was to bring him up slowly, and there's already guys in front of JF. So it all works out.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Schumacher's odds of playing in the NHL are very low. You're just complaining over nothing.
Thanks, now I like it, because you say so. You also say this to all those other people who are surprised regarding Gibson ?

Uh what? Not very familiar with NHL contract situations I take it.

Berube was signed to an ELC. There is no way to "release" him, baring a buyout which would cost waay more money and use up cap space than it would to put him in the minors.
I said years ago. He should never have gotten that ELC contract to begin with.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They did blow a 2nd on Gibson, but it happens quite often where a team drafts a player in the 2nd round and they turn into nothing after years in a team's pipeline. It's actually out of the norm for the Kings to waste a 2nd on such a player, but it's not losing any sleep over it.

We've seen people whine and moan over the Kings not signing guys like Bryan Cameron, Geordie Wudrick, Garret Roe, Joey Ryan, T.J. Fast, Constantin Braun, etc. Schumacher is no different. He'll spend his career somewhere over in Europe and we won't hear a peep about him again.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
They did blow a 2nd on Gibson, but it happens quite often where a team drafts a player in the 2nd round and they turn into nothing after years in a team's pipeline. It's actually out of the norm for the Kings to waste a 2nd on such a player, but it's not losing any sleep over it.

We've seen people whine and moan over the Kings not signing guys like Bryan Cameron, Geordie Wudrick, Garret Roe, Joey Ryan, T.J. Fast, Constantin Braun, etc. Schumacher is no different. He'll spend his career somewhere over in Europe and we won't hear a peep about him again.

Pretty much.

Malakian#13

Mar 7, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
Well sucks that Gibson never put it all together enough to earn a contract. This has got to leave a hole in the pipeline currect?

I would be happy if we selected Eric Comrie from tri-citys in the second round this year. I've seen him in person only once but he was awesome! great confidence as well, kind of reminded me of when I first saw Quick play at UMass. Some goalies have a presence where you can tell they truly believe they will stop every shot and these are usually the best ones. Hasek, Roy, Broduer, Quick basically they're nuts and while Comrie hasn't proven squat yet he might have that element.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Well sucks that Gibson never put it all together enough to earn a contract. This has got to leave a hole in the pipeline currect?

I would be happy if we selected Eric Comrie from tri-citys in the second round this year. I've seen him in person only once but he was awesome! great confidence as well, kind of reminded me of when I first saw Quick play at UMass. Some goalies have a presence where you can tell they truly believe they will stop every shot and these are usually the best ones. Hasek, Roy, Broduer, Quick basically they're nuts and while Comrie hasn't proven squat yet he might have that element.

It does but it's also nothing that signing a NCAA free agent or drafting an 19-20 year old goaltender out of the CHL won't fix. If the Kings aren't signing Gibson, their is probably someone else out there that either Lombardi or Hextall are targeting. DL may have a FA goalie trageted to sign this off-season (if/when Bernier is traded) which leaves Jones and Berube in Manchester. Or they draft an older goalie in this draft sign him to a deal in Manchester and send him to Ontario. Or sign a NCAA guy to a Manch deal and send him to Ontario. Maybe someone can confirm, but Mannino was just a 1 year Manch deal correct?

Any one of those three moves shores up the pipeline well enough to get the Kings by for the time being.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Not much more than Danny Roussin, Sergei Anshakov or pretty much their entire 2004 draft.

Ugh... Great pick in the 9th round. 2nd round pick 2 years later after all the issues with his work ethic have seen the light of day? Freaking awful. Like maybe biggest waste of a draft pick ever. :shakehead

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would be happy if we selected Eric Comrie from tri-citys in the second round this year. I've seen him in person only once but he was awesome! great confidence as well, kind of reminded me of when I first saw Quick play at UMass.

Comrie does have some SoCal connections: http://www.foxsportswest.com/11/22/...ie-a-top-prospect/landing.html?blockID=824357

He's also likely following in the footsteps of Jonathan Blum, Beau Bennett and Emerson Etem as the next player to be selected in the first round of the NHL Draft after coming up through Southern California minor hockey programs.

He also drew inspiration from the Kings' Stanley Cup run and spoke eagerly on what he was able to gain from the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner in Quick.

"That was absolutely spectacular, what he did," Comrie said. "I remember watching him, and he really became a huge role model for me, growing up in LA there. Just getting able to watch him and how athletic and quick and everything he is. Quick is quick is the best way of putting it."

That said, he probably won't be on board at the end of round 2. Although he did have season ending hip surgery and I'm sure every NHL team will be going over his prognosis.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but in one of the articles I read, and on Gibson's Twitter, it was mentioned/said that he was going back to Finland for military duty. The Kings wouldn't waste a contract on the kid if he wants to/has to (not sure which) go into the military.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but in one of the articles I read, and on Gibson's Twitter, it was mentioned/said that he was going back to Finland for military duty. The Kings wouldn't waste a contract on the kid if he wants to/has to (not sure which) go into the military.

I know it used to be mandatory, don't know if it is now.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

The link in the first post has the tweet in question dealing with military service... But it also says Hextall called that a side issue and not the reason they weren't signing him. :)

I know it used to be mandatory, don't know if it is now.

It is during times of war or unrest but during peace time there is a cap of like ~300 on it, meaning that if they get 300 volunteers a year it's not mandatory. If there aren't 300 volunteers then they draw names to fill the remaining spots. Also service in Finland is 6 months to a year so it's not really a long time.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Ugh... Great pick in the 9th round. 2nd round pick 2 years later after all the issues with his work ethic have seen the light of day? Freaking awful. Like maybe biggest waste of a draft pick ever. :shakehead

No the biggest waste of a draft pick was Tom Glavine in the 4th round in 1984. The Kings could have had Brett Hull, who Calgary picked two rounds later. Hell, Glavine was picked ahead of Luc Robitaille who went in the 9th round.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

Berube is a much better goalie than Gibson and is continuing to get better. The reason you may think he's not good is he dealt with a lot of injuries in juniors, was stuck behind Jake Allen during I believe his draft year (and Allen will be an NHL starter very soon), and as others have said, Berube is also raw. He's made vast improvements and I still like his potential.

Captain Mittens*

I am glad. Those guys were really starting to bug me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad