Kings News: Kings officially letting go of Cristopher Gibson and Michael Schumacher

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
wow...i had high hopes for Christopher Gibson but havent heard much about him after the draft...ive been expecting season after to season to hear something about him moving up but it never came. Oh well...sometimes they just dont pan out.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Best part of that article is the hint that Kitsyn is finally coming back over. Sucks about Schumaker, had high hopes for him.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
That is a bit surprising on both counts but I imagine they are looking at their contract limit and making tough decisions.

Both guys were definitely projects. Gibson had a year standing on his head but never really refined his technique and Schumacher was still growing into his body in terms of both strength and coordination. Both promising kids, I am sure they will land with another organization.

vital

Jun 23, 2010
Surprised to see Gibson go. I wonder who's going to start for the Reign next season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Looking forward to seeing how Kitsyn does in Manchester. I like how the organization is constantly putting pressure on players on the NHL roster to perform or be replaced by a younger player.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Surprised to hear about Gibson. If we move Bernier this summer. Then the only two goalies we have in our system would be Jones and Berube. Who I think will be both be in Manchester next season. I suspect we'll draft a goalie this year.

Excited to see Kitsyn coming over to Manchester. Looking forward to seeing him play!

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

It's too bad about Gibson. I snapped these photos from the 2011 Draft. Always felt like the Sharks (traded up from #59 to #47) sniped Matt Nieto away from the Kings at #49. Just noticed now that Nieto's in the background of the first photo shaking hands at the Sharks table.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Gibson I think is a mistake. Not that I think he'll be an elite prospect or even a starter in the NHL, but I think he has at least back up potential and could go beyond that. From a depth standpoint, this doesn't make much sense though, as I agree with another poster, who will be the starter with the Reign? Additionally, we are really thin in net now if Bernier gets dealt, especially if they elect to go with Jones as the backup.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Gibson I think is a mistake. Not that I think he'll be an elite prospect or even a starter in the NHL, but I think he has at least back up potential and could go beyond that. From a depth standpoint, this doesn't make much sense though, as I agree with another poster, who will be the starter with the Reign? Additionally, we are really thin in net now if Bernier gets dealt, especially if they elect to go with Jones as the backup.

Juho Olkinuora? Part of the split affliation with Winnipeg maybe.

Agreed though that the Kings should probably have taken a chance on Gibson as a depth player. Likely be Quick-vet backup, Jones-Berube goaltenders next year. Jones is close to make it or break it in another year or two, some goaltending depth in the system is going to become a problem real soon.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Agreed though that the Kings should probably have taken a chance on Gibson as a depth player. Likely be Quick-vet backup, Jones-Berube goaltenders next year. Jones is close to make it or break it in another year or two, some goaltending depth in the system is going to become a problem real soon.

Actually, if true, that may be a great side-benefit of the split-affiliation. Don't need 5 prospect goalies at once, etc. That would make sense.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Very surprising. I thought Schumacher was a favorable project for the bottom 6 and expected him to make it to Manchester.

But Gibson is a pretty jaw dropping loss. Only two years since he was drafted with a second round pick. Futa said that he had "elite" potential. Not to mention, our goaltending is going to be pretty thin after we trade Bernier (though Lombardi has said he will be looking for veteran options for the backup before, I guess that depends on Jones). Still, all we have after Bernier is Jones and Berube, and I would think Gibson would be competitive against Berube even now...

I think it is guaranteed that we at least take one goaltender this draft, not a big deal given how many picks we have, but I don't know about the timing. We'll see, but I am not too keen on the decision to let him go yet.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I was really hoping LA would grab Juho. I dind't think hed go pro so soon though. Was also hoping they'd take a shot at Eric Hartzell, but I figured they had Gibson pencilled in.

Actually, if true, that may be a great side-benefit of the split-affiliation. Don't need 5 prospect goalies at once, etc. That would make sense.

We never NEEDED 5 goalie prospects before. If you count prospects as guys in the system who aren't in the NHL regularly but have NHL amitions, we only had three (Berube, Jones and Gibson) and that just dropped to two.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Maybe they decided to cut ties with Gibson because they already have a deal set up to move Bernier and have a guy coming back that they like more OR they have their eyes on a kid that'll be in the draft. With Quick signed and Jones in the pipeline, I'm not worried.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Maybe they decided to cut ties with Gibson because they already have a deal set up to move Bernier and have a guy coming back that they like more OR they have their eyes on a kid that'll be in the draft. With Quick signed and Jones in the pipeline, I'm not worried.

Do mean dealing Bernier for a package involving a goalie prospect?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Very surprising. I thought Schumacher was a favorable project for the bottom 6 and expected him to make it to Manchester.

But Gibson is a pretty jaw dropping loss. Only two years since he was drafted with a second round pick. Futa said that he had "elite" potential. Not to mention, our goaltending is going to be pretty thin after we trade Bernier (though Lombardi has said he will be looking for veteran options for the backup before, I guess that depends on Jones). Still, all we have after Bernier is Jones and Berube, and I would think Gibson would be competitive against Berube even now...

I think it is guaranteed that we at least take one goaltender this draft, not a big deal given how many picks we have, but I don't know about the timing. We'll see, but I am not too keen on the decision to let him go yet.

I am still surprised by dropping Gibson. It happened in total silence. Usually when a team is backing out of a pretty recent second round draft prospect you here a little something but not this time. The only thing I have ever heard that would be a knock on Gibson is that he is a bit fragile when it comes to his confidence (to be kind) but so are an awful lot of successful goalies.

Oh well. The JB deal will likely be bringing back a goalie so maybe that had something to do with it but I doubt it. We cut bait early on Gibson. Must be some reason. Nothing I have heard.

Jun 30, 2006
Gibson just didn't meet the Kings level of expectations and his stats have dipped. Not worried, I knew Shore was going to be the star of that draft anyway.

We don't need to immediately fill Gibson's spot in the pipeline. Guys like Gibson can be easily replaced, which is why Dean made the move.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

It's too bad about Gibson. I snapped these photos from the 2011 Draft. Always felt like the Sharks (traded up from #59 to #47) sniped Matt Nieto away from the Kings at #49. Just noticed now that Nieto's in the background of the first photo shaking hands at the Sharks table.

the kings and sharks like to one up eachother, the year the kings took toffoli they had to trade up right infront of the sharks, who had planned to take him with their 2nd rounder,

Jun 30, 2006
the kings and sharks like to one up eachother, the year the kings took toffoli they had to trade up right infront of the sharks, who had planned to take him with their 2nd rounder,

Any Dean Lombardi Holdovers on Doug Wilson's Staff?

We would have some similar targets if that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad