GDT: Kings off-season thread

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
If you're going to go with Zadorov I don't see why we don't just re-sign Edler.

Probably cheaper, can play up a pairing, better all around. Not AS nasty, but not nearly as stupid either.

I think Zadorov has not been that bad, the last year in Calgary...and he was playing with Gudbranson, who is not good at all. I am more for trying to sign Nuchushkin and would help to sign him if other Russians were here...but alas, the Avs don't have any othes...unless you count Maltsev. I guess Arty speaks Russian, though.

I just think Edler regresses at 37 and seemed slower, since coming back from his ankle break. There must be a better option to replace him. I wish Spence or Clarke was LHD. Chychrun will cost too much, in assets given up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Zadorov has not been that bad, the last year in Calgary...and he was playing with Gudbranson, who is not good at all. I am more for trying to sign Nuchushkin and would help to sign him if other Russians were here...but alas, the Avs don't have any othes...unless you count Maltsev. I guess Arty speaks Russian, though.

I just think Edler regresses at 37 and seemed slower, since coming back from his ankle break. There must be a better option to replace him. I wish Spence or Clarke was LHD. Chychrun will cost too much, in assets given up.

For me it's a few things
1. the devil you know vs. the devil you don't--edler is a nice fit and that article shows how much he's beloved by our players, mgmt, and young swedes;
2. I get the feeling someone will overpay Zadorov while only 50-50 anyone goes for edler;
3. prior to injury edler was a monster and was on pace for 40 points, forming a great shutdown pairing with Roy
4. sure the game has passed his skating by a little bit and mcdavid made him look bad but did you see what mcdavid did to zadorov
5. edler may sink next year to only being a 3rd pairing guy, Zadorov we KNOW is only a third pairing guy at best. Higher potential with edler.

It's tough between him and Maatta but someone will almost certainly overpay for maatta at this point and Edler is more of what we need--size, steady vet presence, PK ability.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
For me Edler would be a cheap place holder. Get a large mean, cheap 7th D that can split time. Leaves the cap open to trade for a LD at the deadline.

Could also buy time until Kirill comes over, Kim gets a shot or if Craig Johnson's son comes over after college.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
For me it's a few things
1. the devil you know vs. the devil you don't--edler is a nice fit and that article shows how much he's beloved by our players, mgmt, and young swedes;
2. I get the feeling someone will overpay Zadorov while only 50-50 anyone goes for edler;
3. prior to injury edler was a monster and was on pace for 40 points, forming a great shutdown pairing with Roy
4. sure the game has passed his skating by a little bit and mcdavid made him look bad but did you see what mcdavid did to zadorov
5. edler may sink next year to only being a 3rd pairing guy, Zadorov we KNOW is only a third pairing guy at best. Higher potential with edler.

It's tough between him and Maatta but someone will almost certainly overpay for maatta at this point and Edler is more of what we need--size, steady vet presence, PK ability.
All good points and fair enough. I suppose if Alex signed for 1 more year, he'll put in the work and be ready.
I think with Drew back and Mikey stepping up to a higher level, Durzi, Spence having experience...Walker, back in the mix....and Toby being ready for camp, I'm not worried about the D.

I'm more worried about the offense and the answer is not counting on Byfield, Arty, Kupari, Vilardi, etc, to busting out for 20+ goals....but, to obtain / sign a true top 6 forward....push AI down to lne 3 and FOREVERMORE of any PP unit. There's a few good ones out there and hope Rob gets that player.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings have to walk away from Edler and Maata.

Doughty-Anderson
Durzi-TBD Left Handed D
Roy-Walker
Extra: TBD

Bjornfot could go back to Ontario FYI. Same with Byfield, so don't be confident in penciling both those in the line up so quickly. JAD is not waiver exempt so he gets a spot too....

Kempe-Kopitar-TBD RW
Arvidsson-Danault-Moore
Iafallo-Byfield-Grundstrom
Lemieux or Deslauries-Lizotte-Kayilev
Extra: JAD

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
According to Le Mayor, the Kings have just under $8M in free cap to work with if they pay RFAs worth keeping and don’t trade anyone over $1M in cap hit.

How much can you really do with $8M? The offseason checklist is goal scoring winger, better power play and toughness.

Getting one player that checks all three boxes is unlikely outside Matt Tkachuk. And even there, he’s getting a minimum of $9.5M next year, so he doesn’t easily fit into the cap.

Forsberg is going to cost more and Johnny Hockey. And both only check two boxes. But toughness is the easiest and cheapest thing to get. So you can make moves to fit someone in. And you’ll have to anyway to clear room for an $8+ M player.

Chycrun has lost some luster, but he could be a PP solve that leaves you room for more moves. It still looks like it’ll cost 3-4 futures to acquire. That will look like 2 firsts, Vilardi and Durzi/Turcotte/Bjornfot. And you’ll net out +$2M in cap hit, leaving you around $6M for a goal scoring winger. Which is basically trying to find Bigfoot.

I guess we’ll find out over the next 3 months whether Blake is the guy to manage this franchise or not. He spent near the cap this past season and produced a first round exit. He’ll need to get better results with fewer resources than a year ago. If he does it, that’ll be a first.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

He was slower in part because he came back before he was fully fit to help ease the D injury situation. That’s not to say I think we should definitely bring him back but he’s an option if we can’t find the right player. I think the plan needs to be someone they specifically want rather than taking the best from a number of bad options. It’s never sensible to take the ‘least bad choice’ because it’ll fail. I think LHD will need filling via trade and if other GM’s aren’t ready to play ball that’s where bringing back Edler or Maatta becomes a genuine option until a genuine target (there will be several on their list) becomes available.

Scoring may be more easily addressed via FA but we do have the assets to move to acquire via trade also, so it’s going to be a fun summer (hopefully).

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Assuming it is around 8 million in cap space, we can move Walker to get us to 10 million and change in space.

We need a player in the ~4 or less range for LD, i.e Zadorov
Leaves us with ~5 million for a top 6 scorer, Nino, Palat, Reilly, Burakovsky

I think that is more likely to happen vs signing a big time free agent at 9+ million.

Another possibility is a really good player becomes available that can help our scoring like Debrincat and we pull a trade.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I do wonder what Blake could do to the roster if say Kopitar was moved at the draft? Doesn’t seem to be too many places on the roster to trim some salary.

Reactions: Schmooley

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I do wonder what Blake could do to the roster if say Kopitar was moved at the draft? Doesn’t seem to be too many places on the roster to trim some salary.
Yea if they want to keep the Kopitar, Quick and Doughty the only pieces to trim salary are Walker, Roy, Iafallo, Petersen and a smaller million here and there in Lemieux and Grundstrom.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
According to Le Mayor, the Kings have just under $8M in free cap to work with if they pay RFAs worth keeping and don’t trade anyone over $1M in cap hit.

How much can you really do with $8M? The offseason checklist is goal scoring winger, better power play and toughness.

Getting one player that checks all three boxes is unlikely outside Matt Tkachuk. And even there, he’s getting a minimum of $9.5M next year, so he doesn’t easily fit into the cap.

Forsberg is going to cost more and Johnny Hockey. And both only check two boxes. But toughness is the easiest and cheapest thing to get. So you can make moves to fit someone in. And you’ll have to anyway to clear room for an $8+ M player.

Chycrun has lost some luster, but he could be a PP solve that leaves you room for more moves. It still looks like it’ll cost 3-4 futures to acquire. That will look like 2 firsts, Vilardi and Durzi/Turcotte/Bjornfot. And you’ll net out +$2M in cap hit, leaving you around $6M for a goal scoring winger. Which is basically trying to find Bigfoot.

I guess we’ll find out over the next 3 months whether Blake is the guy to manage this franchise or not. He spent near the cap this past season and produced a first round exit. He’ll need to get better results with fewer resources than a year ago. If he does it, that’ll be a first.
Sniper, example Forsberg

Toughness, 4th line, extra player face smasher ex Deslauriers
D, sign Edler have him split time with a Logan Stanley type. Big, making less than 1M.

Assuming it is around 8 million in cap space, we can move Walker to get us to 10 million and change in space.

We need a player in the ~4 or less range for LD, i.e Zadorov
Leaves us with ~5 million for a top 6 scorer, Nino, Palat, Reilly, Burakovsky

I think that is more likely to happen vs signing a big time free agent at 9+ million.

Another possibility is a really good player becomes available that can help our scoring like Debrincat and we pull a trade.
A Nino type forward would improve the top 9. It wouldn't do much for the PP. A sniper, probably right handed, would greatly improve the PP.

You may not have the cap to add the D this summer. If Blake is trading for a D anyways, he can patch the D this summer on the cheap & add a D at the deadline. With Quicks contract coming off the books, there will be space to add the salary for the D they picked up at the deadline for the next year.

Get the hardest to aquire part first. Right handed sniper for PP.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

they need to trade iafallo

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I honestly am not seeing any major moves unless something unexpected falls into our lap. I see Blake making a couple of depth signings or swaps to add toughness and maybe secondary scoring. He is looking for the home run deal but they aren't falling from the sky and our assets are all kind of at their low point except for maybe Durzi.

Either we will make a splash at the draft and trade for a solid player for our 1st + Durzi + roster player, or we will stand pat and make a mid/late season trade next year. I think we lean toward the latter because honestly all of these kids can't bust and there should be some tangible improvement next season...

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
For me it's a few things

Looks can be deceiving. Oddly the Edler-Stecher pairing is the only one to with a ESGF% >50% against McDavid in round 1. Those two in fact had a ESGF% > or = 50% against every Oiler player.

I would not be averse to bringing Edler back for another season. He's just an outstanding veteran player.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Sniper, example Forsberg

Toughness, 4th line, extra player face smasher ex Deslauriers
D, sign Edler have him split time with a Logan Stanley type. Big, making less than 1M.

A Nino type forward would improve the top 9. It wouldn't do much for the PP. A sniper, probably right handed, would greatly improve the PP.

You may not have the cap to add the D this summer. If Blake is trading for a D anyways, he can patch the D this summer on the cheap & add a D at the deadline. With Quicks contract coming off the books, there will be space to add the salary for the D they picked up at the deadline for the next year.

Get the hardest to aquire part first. Right handed sniper for PP.

Didn't I mention Debrincat? Also if the rumors are true and Pastrnak is available. We should be all over it.

Reactions: Mattias

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yes. I first suggested this 2-4 weeks ago...will have to find the post.
Sign Zadorov 4 x 4? Needed size and upgrade over Edler, just because Edler is slowing down and going to be 37. Zadorov just turned 27 in April. He was playing last series with a broken rib...or ribs.
Nichushkin 27 yrs old. 5 x 4.5 or 5? Someone is going to pay him and he's not a fluke or a risk ..he's been great in the playoffs and had 52 pts in 62 games this year, which would have been behind Kempe's 54 and ahead of Danault's 51...and they both played 79 and 78 games. Nichushkin played 62 and had higher PPG. Strong on the puck, makes nice, deceptive passes...good 200 feet, takes the body. Over 35 hits in the playoffs and over 40 shots. The Kings don't have a winger like this.

Nichushkin Kopitar Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Iafallo Byfield Kaliyev
Lemieux Lizotte Grundstrom
Kupari

Anderson Doughty
Zadorov Roy
Bjornfot Durzi
Spence

Quick
Petersen

Amadios to:
AA, Edler, Maata. Probably Lias. He won't get his chance here.
Vilardi? I would prefer to deal Iafallo and keep Gabe, but AI may be a better
3rd line player, than Gabe would be.
My fear with Nich is more that he is point totals were because of Kadri and McKinnon. LA does not have offensive centers like that.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
So
Forsberg UFA
Pastrnak 1 year to UFA
Nylander 2 years to UFA
Debrincat 1 year RFA
Laine RFA

Cost in assets are higher for some vs AAV. Anyway you add a top line wing it's going to limit what you can spend on defense. A cheap Edler extension is the most likely with the cost of these forwards.

Does an OEL & Boeser package make sense? Better options for both, but filling both spots is worth something.
There will need to be some creativity. OEL @ 5.5-6AAV & Boeser signed 1 year, retained to 4M, then resigned long term when Quicks AAV drops next year.

Forsberg + Edler
Vs
Boeser + OEL

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
So
Forsberg UFA
Pastrnak 1 year to UFA
Nylander 2 years to UFA
Debrincat 1 year RFA
Laine RFA

Cost in assets are higher for some vs AAV. Anyway you add a top line wing it's going to limit what you can spend on defense. A cheap Edler extension is the most likely with the cost of these forwards.

Does an OEL & Boeser package make sense? Better options for both, but filling both spots is worth something.
There will need to be some creativity. OEL @ 5.5-6AAV & Boeser signed 1 year, retained to 4M, then resigned long term when Quicks AAV drops next year.

Forsberg + Edler
Vs
Boeser + OEL
To trade for OEL & Boeser package make huge sense for Vancouver only

I like for Kings to trade for Laine without going too crazy or to sign Forsberg...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad