GDT: Kings off-season thread

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I know Russians in LA is like oil and water but what about Nichushkin and Zadorov?
Zadorov depending on cap hit sure. He makes some pretty bad mistakes, best thing he has is size.
Nuke, I would be interested in but no longer than 3 years.

Probably be out bid elsewhere compared to what I would want LA to give.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
UFA will be the simplest available route to upgrade. It paid off last summer with Danault, so I expect the same thing to happen this summer. Management looks like they’ll target one guy that addresses the biggest need at the best price.

By all accounts the biggest need is goals on the man advantage. All signs point to a 30+ goal scoring winger. Forsberg is talked about the most, but Johnny hockey is more interesting IMO.

He’s older and might be more expensive than Forsberg, but he’s put up 99+ points a couple times. And going by the playoffs, you need to make seem passes to light up the PP. JG taking over for Kopitar on the half wall is just like Danault taking 1 of his 5v5 minutes.

Plus the paid media homers will finally get to salivate about how Blake closed a competitive deal and his dumpster diving days are over, just like the rebuild. With the end of Kopitar’s deal in sight, giving JG a 7 year $10+M deal can be accommodated short and long term in the initial take.

The idea would be you slot JG in for the top six minutes that have traditionally gone to Iafallo/Brown. You pay Todd $5M to figure out the details. And for the rest of the roster, you beat down the RFAs on price and roll the same UFA crew back minus AA.

The rest of the season is wait and pray.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This is the offseason that tells us what Blake's real plan is. Maybe next offseason if there are bigger or better fit targets available than this offseason.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
UFA will be the simplest available route to upgrade. It paid off last summer with Danault, so I expect the same thing to happen this summer. Management looks like they’ll target one guy that addresses the biggest need at the best price.

By all accounts the biggest need is goals on the man advantage. All signs point to a 30+ goal scoring winger. Forsberg is talked about the most, but Johnny hockey is more interesting IMO.

He’s older and might be more expensive than Forsberg, but he’s put up 99+ points a couple times. And going by the playoffs, you need to make seem passes to light up the PP. JG taking over for Kopitar on the half wall is just like Danault taking 1 of his 5v5 minutes.

Plus the paid media homers will finally get to salivate about how Blake closed a competitive deal and his dumpster diving days are over, just like the rebuild. With the end of Kopitar’s deal in sight, giving JG a 7 year $10+M deal can be accommodated short and long term in the initial take.

The idea would be you slot JG in for the top six minutes that have traditionally gone to Iafallo/Brown. You pay Todd $5M to figure out the details. And for the rest of the roster, you beat down the RFAs on price and roll the same UFA crew back minus AA.

The rest of the season is wait and pray.

I do not want to have to cheer for Johnny hockey!

Reactions: steepdrop

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I do not want to have to cheer for Johnny hockey!
I want excitement to root for. I don’t care who is shooting pucks as long as they go on. The only exciting hockey in my entire Kings fandom was from Ziggy, Deadmarsh and Alison line and I was a kid who had no idea what hockey should be like.
I’ve suffered through too much slow, defense first hockey. I want to be selfish.

Reactions: lumbergh

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
giving JG a 7 year $10+M deal can be accommodated short and long term in the initial take.
:huh::thumbd:
1654294778784.png

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Hard pass on Jonny Hockey. Small, slow & disappeared against the Oilers.

Forsberg would be nice.

Trade for an Ehlers, Nylander type.

Fiala seems like his points would drop drastically on the Kings. Makes me nervous.

Then you're down to Nino, Trocheck types that help depth, but not PP or grabbing a young player like Puljujarvi or Kakko you think is going to break out. If you grab a Trocheck type it limits cap to add a difference maker in the future.

Guess the last option is to toss Vilardi in.

As one of the few playoff teams with cap space this year, hope the King's can take advantage of that.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you grab a Trocheck type it limits cap to add a difference maker in the future.

Then you never make a move to add to the team.

Since you don't know who will or won't be available in the future though, you make your move today, and then deal with the future in the future.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Zadorov depending on cap hit sure. He makes some pretty bad mistakes, best thing he has is size.
Nuke, I would be interested in but no longer than 3 years.

Probably be out bid elsewhere compared to what I would want LA to give.
Yes. I first suggested this 2-4 weeks ago...will have to find the post.
Sign Zadorov 4 x 4? Needed size and upgrade over Edler, just because Edler is slowing down and going to be 37. Zadorov just turned 27 in April. He was playing last series with a broken rib...or ribs.
Nichushkin 27 yrs old. 5 x 4.5 or 5? Someone is going to pay him and he's not a fluke or a risk ..he's been great in the playoffs and had 52 pts in 62 games this year, which would have been behind Kempe's 54 and ahead of Danault's 51...and they both played 79 and 78 games. Nichushkin played 62 and had higher PPG. Strong on the puck, makes nice, deceptive passes...good 200 feet, takes the body. Over 35 hits in the playoffs and over 40 shots. The Kings don't have a winger like this.

Nichushkin Kopitar Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Iafallo Byfield Kaliyev
Lemieux Lizotte Grundstrom
Kupari

Anderson Doughty
Zadorov Roy
Bjornfot Durzi
Spence

Quick
Petersen

Amadios to:
AA, Edler, Maata. Probably Lias. He won't get his chance here.
Vilardi? I would prefer to deal Iafallo and keep Gabe, but AI may be a better
3rd line player, than Gabe would be.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you're going to go with Zadorov I don't see why we don't just re-sign Edler.

Probably cheaper, can play up a pairing, better all around. Not AS nasty, but not nearly as stupid either.

Reactions: ricardfromage

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Zadorov is a third pair D. Paying more than 3 years at $3.5M per is too much. And you know he’ll get that, just hopefully not for the Kings.

I’d rather have Maata in that position for $3.5 x 2 years.

Reactions: YP44 and Surf Nutz

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Zadorov is a third pair D. Paying more than 3 years at $3.5M per is too much. And you know he’ll get that, just hopefully not for the Kings.

3.5 for Maatta???

Ayooo hol up.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
The D market is pretty bad right now. Might. Be from the expansion draft. Everyone slimmed down & moved all their extra pieces around. Now it seems like there are few sellers & fewer decent players available.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Yeah I don't get the whole Zadorov thing. I mean he's fine as a bottom pair D, I like the physicality and attitude he brings, but he's not a very good player.

He's a 1st round bust who'll be on his 4th team. He's basically Luke Schenn.

The idea that the whole league is going to covet him seems a bit odd. He's already been traded 3 times. Chicago let him go for a 3rd round pick.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Don’t like the free agent defenseman market. We have too many prospects right now, and that’s not counting the 6-7 we’ll add in the upcoming draft. Make the damn move for Chychrun or another young LHD…move Walker and go for one of the upper tier free agents…

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah I don't get the whole Zadorov thing. I mean he's fine as a bottom pair D, I like the physicality and attitude he brings, but he's not a very good player.

He's a 1st round bust who'll be on his 4th team. He's basically Luke Schenn.

The idea that the whole league is going to covet him seems a bit odd. He's already been traded 3 times. Chicago let him go for a 3rd round pick.

Also playing on CGY was fool's gold for his analytics, I think people are gonna look at him and think he's driving play on the 3rd pairing but it's really just he was fortunate to be that guy on a Sutter team so it masked his previous deficiencies until the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad