News Article: Kings make first cuts from training camp

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Well, obviously if they sign they will play in the professional leagues. Monarchs are short on forwards, so I would image Auger would make the team. Leslie will have to battle with the depth on D.

You can sign a contract and still go back to junior if eligible.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Monarchs will likely have the following players in 2014-15:

Van Der Gulik-Weal-Cracknell
Mersch-Shore-Sabourin
Kitsyn-Dowd-O'Neill
Horvat-Crescenzi-Backman

Bodnarchuk-LoVerde
Forbort-Miller
Schultz-Ebert
Gravel-Roach

Berube-Niederberger

Maybe Auger has a shot at cracking that roster, but I don't see any place for Leslie, unless their intention is for them to get big minutes in the ECHL. The Kings also have to decide where to place Kurtis MacDermid.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

Mersch-Shore-Sabourin
Kitsyn-Dowd-O'Neill
Horvat-Crescenzi-Backman

Bodnarchuk-LoVerde
Forbort-Miller
Schultz-Ebert
Gravel-Roach

Berube-Niederberger

Maybe Auger has a shot at cracking that roster, but I don't see any place for Leslie, unless their intention is for them to get big minutes in the ECHL. The Kings also have to decide where to place Kurtis MacDermid.

Zach O'Brien, Vincent Arseneau, and Patrik Bartosak need to be added in there and you can remove Niederberger as he is playing in the DEL this year. Your point stands though, not much room for either Leslie or Auger unless the plan is for them to end up in Ontario.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
May have to factor in Raine in the mix on D if he gets a contract. I'm thinking that LA will use Ontario more this season. I'm thinking that's where MacDermid and Roach end up, probably Auger too.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
May have to factor in Raine in the mix on D if he gets a contract. I'm thinking that LA will use Ontario more this season. I'm thinking that's where MacDermid and Roach end up, probably Auger too.

Kings are at 44(?) SPCs right now so I guess it's possible Raine, Auger, Leslie all get deals. Zykov was sent back to Juniors so that brings the total to 43. Add those three and it's 46 which is right around where the Kings usually are for SPCs. The main hold up right now just seems to be playing time with 11 d-men possibly heading to Manchester to start the year.

I'm thinking one of Roach or MacDermid sticks in Manchester with Leslie being the odd man out. Pairings will likely be something like what Ziggy posted with a stay at home (LoVerde, Schultz, Roach, MacDermid, Forbort, Gravel) paired with a puck mover (Leslie, Ebert, Bodnarchuk, Miller, Raine) A pairing out of that group (Leslie and MacDermid?) are probably heading to Ontario to play top minutes and fill in in case of inuries/callups.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Leslie back to juniors is also an option. He could use the year to bulk up for the pro game.

I've kind of become convinced in the past couple weeks that he really doesn't have anything to prove going back to Juniors. Auger I could see going back and just beating up on the CHL and using his size, but Leslie? He was already one of the better overall D in the CHL last year and was a leader on one of the best teams in the CHL. Might be better served learning the pro game in Ontario as I could see him struggling the same way Miller did in the AHL last year.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
As G Jeff Deslauriers has been released from his PTO, it will be interesting to see how the goalie thing shakes out if Quick is not ready for opening night. Certainly cap room issues, but if Pittsburgh waives Zatkoff (they have Greiss now) it wouldn't be the worst idea to bring him back into the fold, at least temporarily.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I've kind of become convinced in the past couple weeks that he really doesn't have anything to prove going back to Juniors. Auger I could see going back and just beating up on the CHL and using his size, but Leslie? He was already one of the better overall D in the CHL last year and was a leader on one of the best teams in the CHL. Might be better served learning the pro game in Ontario as I could see him struggling the same way Miller did in the AHL last year.

I worry more about ice time for Leslie than him lighting up on CHL talent. I'd rather see him go back to juniors, play 22 minutes a game, bulk up and work on some things than go into a very crowded AHL situation and get 15 minutes a game or possibly be a scratch. I really have no idea who will work out as the regular six man rotation out of that group. And while the ECHL is an option, if I had to choose between the ECHL and the CHL, I'd pick the CHL in Leslie's case. Kings seem to have a great grasp on player development for OHL guys, likely due to their connections via Futa.

As G Jeff Deslauriers has been released from his PTO, it will be interesting to see how the goalie thing shakes out if Quick is not ready for opening night. Certainly cap room issues, but if Pittsburgh waives Zatkoff (they have Greiss now) it wouldn't be the worst idea to bring him back into the fold, at least temporarily.

And when Quick is ready a week or two into the season (as would seem like the max since apparently he's targeting getting into the final few pre-season games) to play, what do we do with Zatkoff and his $600,000 , one-way, contract? I can't see AEG or DL wanting to keep Zatkoff as an AHL backup at that price and he's not going to start him in the AHL (Berube) or ECHL (Bartosak).

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
And when Quick is ready a week or two into the season (as would seem like the max since apparently he's targeting getting into the final few pre-season games) to play, what do we do with Zatkoff and his $600,000 , one-way, contract? I can't see AEG or DL wanting to keep Zatkoff as an AHL backup at that price and he's not going to start him in the AHL (Berube) or ECHL (Bartosak).

I just said it wouldn't be the WORST idea... didn't think it was the BEST ... but I like that he has a familiarity with the organization. I mean, all things being equal, he's a better fit than Deslauriers...

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I just said it wouldn't be the WORST idea... didn't think it was the BEST ... but I like that he has a familiarity with the organization. I mean, all things being equal, he's a better fit than Deslauriers...

I think a sheet of plywood is a better fit than Deslauriers.

Zatkoff might work if Pittsburgh ate half his salary but if I'm not mistaken he has two years left on his deal. Doesn't make sense for LA to touch him.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010

Mersch-Shore-Sabourin
Kitsyn-Dowd-O'Neill
Horvat-Crescenzi-Backman

Bodnarchuk-LoVerde
Forbort-Miller
Schultz-Ebert
Gravel-Roach

Berube-Niederberger

Niederberger returned to Germany, I believe. Bartosak will back-up Berube.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I think Bartosak will start in the ECHL rather than sit on the bench in the AHL.

Unlike when the Monarchs had Martin Jones, I don't view Berube as a clear-cut #1 right now. I think Bartosak will battle for minutes.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Unlike when the Monarchs had Martin Jones, I don't view Berube as a clear-cut #1 right now. I think Bartosak will battle for minutes.

Interesting. If you are right, which do you prefer, two goalies getting roughly 40 games a season each, or having one starting in each of the AHL and the ECHL and starting roughly 60 games a season in terms of development? If you are right, maybe the question is whats better, head to head battles for ice time at the cost of less games for both, or letting them each be starters in seperate leagues.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why? It's the same pattern they did with Berube. You want your 21 year old netminder playing games, not sitting on the bench. Doesn't make sense to me to split duties or have one or the other sitting on the bench.

This is just the vibe I got when I spoke with Lombardi, but I think he's higher on Bartosak than Berube. I think he's going to have Bartosak battle for the starter role.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA

Mersch-Shore-Sabourin
Kitsyn-Dowd-O'Neill
Horvat-Crescenzi-Backman

Bodnarchuk-LoVerde
Forbort-Miller
Schultz-Ebert
Gravel-Roach

Berube-Niederberger

Crescenzi is gone... right?

Cracknell will most probably be in LA...

Niederberger, as stated earlier is overseas...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad