News Article: Kings make first cuts from training camp

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Oh Stephen Harper, I guess you now have to go back to running Canada.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
No real shocks. A little surprised Lintuniemi didn't go back as well with the rest of the draft class of 2014 but he's likely in the next wave. Likely the more interesting topic is the invites still in camp; I wonder who, if any, get a contract. My money is on Raine getting a contract.

Captain Mittens*

I wish they would have played McKeown in one of the games before cutting him

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
No real shocks. A little surprised Lintuniemi didn't go back as well with the rest of the draft class of 2014 but he's likely in the next wave. Likely the more interesting topic is the invites still in camp; I wonder who, if any, get a contract. My money is on Raine getting a contract.

Ryan Horvat and Kevin Raine are the only ones left, no? Horvat already has a deal with the Monarchs for this year and much as I'd like to say Raine has a good shot, is there room for another d-man on an NHL contract? Manch is already a logjam to the point of Leslie likely heading back to the CHL as an overager. There's Ebert, Forbort, Bodnarchuk, LoVerde, Roach, MacDermid, Schultz, Miller, and Gravel likely there so at best Raine pushes one of those guys to Ontario or heads there himself. I could see him getting signing an AHL deal and getting a look in Manch in the event of injury but without making a move there just doesn't seem to be room for him.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Good to see AL getting a little longer look. Like what was said by kingsfan, he'll be part of the next cut. But it's good to see him get some game action and a longer look. Would have liked to see McKeown get a game too, but it was likely a numbers issue in that they had more pmd than sah dmen in camp.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Ryan Horvat and Kevin Raine are the only ones left, no? Horvat already has a deal with the Monarchs for this year and much as I'd like to say Raine has a good shot, is there room for another d-man on an NHL contract? Manch is already a logjam to the point of Leslie likely heading back to the CHL as an overager. There's Ebert, Forbort, Bodnarchuk, LoVerde, Roach, MacDermid, Schultz, Miller, and Gravel likely there so at best Raine pushes one of those guys to Ontario or heads there himself. I could see him getting signing an AHL deal and getting a look in Manch in the event of injury but without making a move there just doesn't seem to be room for him.

Good points. It could be an AHL deal, or they could sign him and stick him in the ECHL. They are going to have to make decisions on guys like Bodnarchuk and LoVerde this season, but I'm not sure Raine would be hurt by playing a year in the ECHL, or at least starting there. How many open contracts slots do we have?

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut

I wouldn't be surprised if Schultz gets claimed. I think he proved himself a bit during the playoffs.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I wouldn't be surprised if Schultz gets claimed. I think he proved himself a bit during the playoffs.

Are there that many teams that need help on the back end and Schultz would be an upgrade? Any that I can think of would be looking for older players to grow and improve with their young cores, and Schultz doesn't fit that mold. At best he's a decent 5-7 d-man. Plus if Schultz was in that high of demand one would think he'd get a slightly better offer than what he got from the Kings. Worth taking the risk to have him in Manchester being around guys like MacDermid, Roach, and Gravel that need to learn pro game.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I agree, it's worth taking the risk, and having him in Manchester is beneficial. I just wouldn't be shocked if he did up getting claimed this time around. It wouldn't be a shocker for him to clear either.

Captain Mittens*

From Hammond

Expecting more Kings roster cuts soon. Alex Lintuniemi tweeted that he's on his way back to junior team in Otttawa.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
I'm curious if they are sending zykov back to juniors today. Doesn't seem like he is in the lineup tonight.

Based on observations from the rookie camp and games, do any of you think juniors will help or hurt him? I know it's a controversial topic, just wanted to get thoughts from others here.

Whatever happened to TG? I liked his input on the prospects.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm curious if they are sending zykov back to juniors today. Doesn't seem like he is in the lineup tonight.

Based on observations from the rookie camp and games, do any of you think juniors will help or hurt him? I know it's a controversial topic, just wanted to get thoughts from others here.

Not going to hurt him to marinate there. I'm sure everyone would like to see him step up his offensive production even further and really dominate. Now that he's gotten a little taste, maybe he can take what he's learned back.

Besides, we have our quota of offensive-zone penalties fulfilled with Stoll et. al. anyway :P

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Tony Saxon (Guelph Storm beat writer) says LA have offered Zac Leslie and Justin Auger contracts. You see either of these guys sticking in the AHL/ECHL or both heading back to Guelph for OA seasons?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Tony Saxon (Guelph Storm beat writer) says LA have offered Zac Leslie and Justin Auger contracts. You see either of these guys sticking in the AHL/ECHL or both heading back to Guelph for OA seasons?

It's crazy much Dean loves size. Auger has been great in camp, but this is really strange.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I don't think there is room for them to make the Monarchs, so I would expect them to return to Guelph and likely be in competition for full time duty in Manchester in 2015-16.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sooo Auger and leslie got contracts ? and Gravel remains unsigned....

Yikes.

I guess that tells us all we need to know of what Blake/Lombardi think of Gravel.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

There really isn't any choice. He is not good enough to be with the big team, and he is not old enough to play in the AHL. He is a couple years away.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Well, obviously if they sign they will play in the professional leagues. Monarchs are short on forwards, so I would image Auger would make the team. Leslie will have to battle with the depth on D.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
There really isn't any choice. He is not good enough to be with the big team, and he is not old enough to play in the AHL. He is a couple years away.

This but he's not old enough when he was drafted out of the CHL.
I really wish there was an exception rule for this. Even if it was just for one player. Since it would benefit him playing in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad