Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Jets - March 1 - 3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Wheeler on third line would be interesting. No one near as physical as Kane, but the speed is there now. Harrison with Buff last game was bleh. Pairing the slowest skater with the guy who pinches the most is a [silly] decision, sorry Mo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You weren't alone. Ideally neither should be on the roster, but Thor over Peluso everyday.

Normally I would argue this strongly but Thor has been very good since the All Star Break. I don't know if it's sustainable but if he keeps playing this way I don't mind him on the 4th line.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Normally I would argue this strongly but Thor has been very good since the All Star Break. I don't know if it's sustainable but if he keeps playing this way I don't mind him on the 4th line.

On a cheaper/shorter contract, used as 13th/14th forward (probably gets 30-60 games), and placed in better spots I'd be ok with him on the roster. Always felt he's a guy you could have there as a nice insurance policy since he's pretty dependable. As the first guy to be moved up the lineup and lock to dress every night not so much. Just don't see that happening right now with the way they are using him. The way he's used right now just hurts us since I feel we have better options.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
On a cheaper/shorter contract, used as 13th/14th forward (probably gets 30-60 games), and placed in better spots I'd be ok with him on the roster. Always felt he's a guy you could have there as a nice insurance policy since he's pretty dependable. As the first guy to be moved up the lineup and lock to dress every night not so much. Just don't see that happening right now with the way they are using him. The way he's used right now just hurts us since I feel we have better options.

Right now I don't think he is hurting us though. I haven't seen too many shifts where I thought he was out of place.

Sure, you'd like to see O'Dell get a shot but at this time of the year he hasn't earned it.

Klingberg only got a sniff but he hasn't shown me one thing that suggests he is ever going to be an NHL player.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Right now I don't think he is hurting us though. I haven't seen too many shifts where I thought he was out of place.

Sure, you'd like to see O'Dell get a shot but at this time of the year he hasn't earned it.

Klingberg only got a sniff but he hasn't shown me one thing that suggests he is ever going to be an NHL player.

He is not "hurting" but rather not helping as much as others would. He just doesn't ADD much anywhere. That's why I like him as 13th forward that can sub in on 4th or maybe 3rd here or there when injuries get really bad since he's nice and safe. I say hurting since I think others could do better. O'Dell, Klingberg, Armia, Galiardi would all help that line more, IMO. That's just in the available guys to us right now. Also helps by taking someone else off the 4th line ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He is not "hurting" but rather not helping as much as others would. I say hurting since I think others could do better. O'Dell, Klingberg, Armia, Galiardi would all help that line more, IMO. That's just in the available guys to us right now. Also helps by taking someone else off the 4th line ;)

O'Dell: Perhaps. He has a body of work but I think he is just getting healthy and Maurice wants to see what he can do more slowly.

Klingberg: I doubt it. I know he's one of your pet guys but I just haven't seen anything at this level that supports this

Armia: Is hurt/ playing hurt. Not the best way to come up to the big club

Galiardi: Coach hates him for some reason. He doesn't wow me and I think Thor is more physical, which I think suits the 3rd line.

PS if you would've told me I'd be advocating FOR Thorburn at the beginning of the year I'd have probably popped you one :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
O'Dell: Perhaps. He has a body of work but I think he is just getting healthy and Maurice wants to see what he can do more slowly.

Klingberg: I doubt it. I know he's one of your pet guys but I just haven't seen anything at this level that supports this

Armia: Is hurt/ playing hurt. Not the best way to come up to the big club

Galiardi: Coach hates him for some reason. He doesn't wow me and I think Thor is more physical, which I think suits the 3rd line.

PS if you would've told me I'd be advocating FOR Thorburn at the beginning of the year I'd have probably popped you one :laugh:

Klingberg made lots of good plays in his 4 minutes, just had to do it all himself. Not sure why he gets dismissed so badly.

Meh for me I want to try to maximize my odds of possibly being best, not settling for very mediocre.

Lol and yeah we've been arguing the opposite for years now ;) I've been for Thorburn as a depth player whereas you've wanted him gone.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Klingberg made lots of good plays in his 4 minutes, just had to do it all himself. Not sure why he gets dismissed so badly.

Meh for me I want to try to maximize my odds of being best, not settling for very mediocre.

Idk I didn't see it. I saw him make a couple of quick, safe touches on the puck.

I will agree it is hard to make your mark when you are playing the highest level you ever have, are nervous and only get very limited minutes. I can't imagine how stressful that would be. The best players find a way to make an impact with that time though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
you know what I don't get? Galiardi. Beginning of the year, he's killing penalties, he's playing solid on the fourth line, stepping up when needed. Now he's getting scratched in favour of a defenceman, not playing PK... something's wacky.

I liked his play at the start of the year, but he's looked crappier and crappier with every chance he's had.

Not really sure what Galiardi brings, tbh. He's not effective in a checking line role, not that good on the PK, and not good enough to play in a top six role. Basically another Halischuk.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I agree that Throbz has been playing well on the third line, though he is playing to the role required of the third line. His Jr and AHL stats were not bad.
When he is on the 4th line he plays more the check/grind/pugilist role. Though I would like to see him back on the 4th playing the game he is playing now.

I think I made sense.

:squint:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I liked his play at the start of the year, but he's looked crappier and crappier with every chance he's had.

Not really sure what Galiardi brings, tbh. He's not effective in a checking line role, not that good on the PK, and not good enough to play in a top six role. Basically another Halischuk.

yeah he used to be really good at agitating and even that's gone from his game

still better than Slater tho

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@DarrinBauming: Maurice says if Blake Wheeler shows up to the rink tomorrow feeling how he did today he'll be a player vs the #LAKings.

@DarrinBauming: Mauice says he likes the way his top lines played on Thursday, so Wheeler would start on a line with Adam Lowry and Chris Thorburn. #NHLJets

What the ........ ? :shakehead

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depends on what role.

IMO the only reason Peluso is on the roster is because of Thorburn.

If Thorburn were better at fighting we would have no need for Peluso, but as it stands management/coaching wants a fighter, and Thorburn just doesn't cut it.

There is also the matter of relative ages. Peluso can still be filling that role 5-7 years after Thor retires. That is if anybody is needed for that role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Your beaver needs ritalin. :)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There is also the matter of relative ages. Peluso can still be filling that role 5-7 years after Thor retires. That is if anybody is needed for that role.

1062.gif

:D

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Just like last year he played well. It makes no difference. Slater, Thor and Peluso have to play and that's all there is to it.

Yep, and it's maddening.

It's not like Maurice is the only NHL coach who loves his trusty plugs. They're like security blankets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

How is he supposed to earn it?

How is he supposed to show you anything?

"Here kid, you got 30 seconds, now get out there and show us what you got".

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I thought he was very good on the PK. Otherwise, yeah he hasn't shown a lot.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How is he supposed to earn it?

How is he supposed to show you anything?

"Here kid, you got 30 seconds, now get out there and show us what you got".

Yeah I'm just not getting it. You can't play since you haven't earned it. You can't earn it unless you play. Good luck sonny.

Agreed to a point with Jet in that this time of year I don't want to experimenting. However that's on Chevy and Maurice not making the right decisions earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad