News Article: Kings hope to get Marian Gaborik back for playoffs

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Called it in another thread, knew it. ****! Gaborik will not return. The Kings brass is to quiet.

How do you get that from Lombardi saying "The goal would be sometime a little prior to the playoffs?" The team is known for being super quiet when it comes to injury details. Nothing new there.

And if you are correct, that's still not terribly impressive. "Calling" a knee injury to a 30-something year old player who's battled those injuries in the past being done for the year isn't exactly earth shattering. Now if you would have predicted the game and period it would happen in at the start of the year, that would be a bit more noteworthy.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
sucks...just when he was getting going...4 goals in his last 7. whereas Carter, Toffoli and Lucic had 2 goals each in all of February.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
You've called a lot of things over the last 48 hours. My favorite is that this team is going nowhere.

Lol its my bipolar mood swings . Love this team hate thinking we are not going to win it all this year. Its those demons. I decided not to throw in the panic button just yet because we are a different monster in the playoffs.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Lol its my bipolar mood swings . Love this team hate thinking we are not going to win it all this year. Its those demons. I decided not to throw in the panic button just yet because we are a different monster in the playoffs.

Now this I agree with!

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
Now this I agree with!

someone link the 2012 roster. compare that. ya who put that team as their lock for the cup even after carter's acquisition. if you think this is a weak roster just remember that most teams worry about their second dman not their 6/7th. it's not the player it's the role.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"In a Monday conference call with reporters, though, Dean Lombardi expressed hope, if not exactly optimism, that the “goal” for a potential return to the lineup could be “sometime a little prior to the playoffs.”"

So, he's not certainly done, and there's optimism. Not a lock to return obviously but not a lock to be dead.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/02/29/lombardi-talks-gaborik-rehabilitation/

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
If the team still stays above .500, I see no need to rush him back. Its hard to believe how clutch he was in our last run, absolutely dominant.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
This is the same playbook Stan Bowman used with Kane last year. Kept Kane in a drawer until Game 1 to avoid cap issues. It let him add another forward to make a Cup run, and obviously it worked.

Dean will keep Gaborik on ice until Game 1 of the playoffs (or until such time that he doesn't need the cap relief from LTIR), where he will miraculously be back to 100%. It allowed Dean to get Versteeg and now he'll have a plethora of forwards to choose from come playoff time.

That Dean fellow... he's pretty sharp.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
This is the same playbook Stan Bowman used with Kane last year. Kept Kane in a drawer until Game 1 to avoid cap issues. It let him add another forward to make a Cup run, and obviously it worked.

Dean will keep Gaborik on ice until Game 1 of the playoffs (or until such time that he doesn't need the cap relief from LTIR), where he will miraculously be back to 100%. It allowed Dean to get Versteeg and now he'll have a plethora of forwards to choose from come playoff time.

I think Gaborik would be allowed to go on a conditioning assignment in Ontario too without being activated can't he? Looks like the Reign have a couple games April 8 and 9 which is right before the playoffs start (I think I heard April 11).

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago

we have free cap space even now though. if i had to guess i'd think that Greene comes back just before playoffs and then Gaborik first round.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
from what i read, imo it's a good chance to see gabby in the playoffs, but i'm a bit more concerned about his performance there. reasons: 1. it seems that it's not an innocent injury 2. he was struggling all season long, catching some shades of form just before the injury 3. he needs some serious toi to get that engine going again, he's that kind of player. we'll see, but i do wish to see him playing in may and explode in june.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
"In a Monday conference call with reporters, though, Dean Lombardi expressed hope, if not exactly optimism, that the “goal†for a potential return to the lineup could be “sometime a little prior to the playoffs.â€"

So, he's not certainly done, and there's optimism. Not a lock to return obviously but not a lock to be dead.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/02/29/lombardi-talks-gaborik-rehabilitation/

Any one else read that article and think that they want gabby to the gym and work out more?
Saying part of how soon you come back is Physical and part is how hard you work.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Any one else read that article and think that they want gabby to the gym and work out more?
Saying part of how soon you come back is Physical and part is how hard you work.

Definitely true. Need to stay in shape. If he gets completely out of shape then it's going to take him a month to get into playoff game shape.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I thought that too but I think upon further reflection that there's not really a hidden agenda in there, seems like it's more about how coming back is part natural recovery, part heart/effort which I guess could be read as "how bad do you want it" for this year.

I don't doubt they want their older guys to take better care of themselves know given what's happened recently with 30+ players

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
gaborik got achilles tendon injury, i guess, right? or is it the knee? and did gabby wear a plaster cast, i can't recall he did? it's always lower-body injury from official sources.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
gaborik got achilles tendon injury, i guess, right? or is it the knee? and did gabby wear a plaster cast, i can't recall he did? it's always lower-body injury from official sources.

Knee. No word on the ligament impacted or the degree of tear.

Granato's ACL came up in the Lombardi interviews from yesterday. I'm assuming it is along those lines, although an MCL is usually less time off the ice.

Let's be real here though: a 12 week timetable is a pretty serious injury. We can hope it's not as serious and this is partially gamesmanship (or cheating if it is Chicago doing it last year) by DL with the cap and he's ready to go Game 1.

We saw what his knee did though so I have a hard time believing this cap theory, but I want to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad