Kings-ducks 2003 1st Round Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Getzlaf/Brown: It's a matter of whether you prefer to gamble on a superb package with a higher ceiling or take a guy who is pretty talented himself and plays a smarter pro game at this point.

As for Tambellini/Perry, both are going to make it as scorers if they do. I must admit I like Tambellini's dynamism, but Perry has a lot going for him and he has all it takes to be a more well-rounded version of Jeff O'Neill. He has great talent, size and understands the game well. I give him the edge.

Overall, I'd rather have the Ducks duo but it's close and it could turn out to be a mistake.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
ktownhockey said:
If that were the case in the 2004 WJHC I think Sidney Crosby would have had 10 more assists and Tambellini would have led the tourney in scoring. He couldn't bury in that tourney.

Um you know he broke/fractured his wrist in the touney right? The might explain a bit.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Legionnaire said:
Um you know he broke/fractured his wrist in the touney right? The might explain a bit.

Yes, but if it were that bad they wouldn't have let him play because he was there to add offence for the most part. He missed alot of those chances when his wrist wasn't fractured. His job was to score goals... he did very little of that in the 2004 WJHC. He is a very good hockey player though and will be a good NHLer. One tournament doesn't make you a failure I was just stating that the feeds he was getting from Crosby were unbelievable and he struggled to score on his chances. Im sure he'd tell you the same thing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ktownhockey said:
If that were the case in the 2004 WJHC I think Sidney Crosby would have had 10 more assists and Tambellini would have led the tourney in scoring. He couldn't bury in that tourney.

I think he still has a chance to be a top NHL player. He seems well-rounded and has awesome wheels. I see him as a Chuck Kobesew Impact level his first couple of years with maybe a higher upside. I do not think however he eclipses Perry or Brown for that matter in career potential.

I'd rank them like this :

Perry (This year sold me)
Brown (Awesome sniper, battling early career injuries, but if he stays healthy will be a top sniper)
Tambellini (Great all around prospect, but I'd say 3rd liner in the end)
Getzlaf (has all the tools, but his attitude might be in the wrong place when the going gets tough. Also seemed to be missing that ONE thing that would take him from being a 70 point player in the WHL to a 100 point man.)
Boyle ( Not a clue why he was a first rounder.. but he's big so you never know?)

Boyle was a 1st rounder for many of the same reasons Hugh Jessiman was: He's monstrous (Boyle makes Andrew Alberts look small), is a decent skater for his size, and is fairly skilled. This will be a key year in his development. If he continues to make strides like he did last year, he can be a dominating presence at the next level.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
ktownhockey said:
Yes, but if it were that bad they wouldn't have let him play because he was there to add offence for the most part. He missed alot of those chances when his wrist wasn't fractured. His job was to score goals... he did very little of that in the 2004 WJHC. He is a very good hockey player though and will be a good NHLer. One tournament doesn't make you a failure I was just stating that the feeds he was getting from Crosby were unbelievable and he struggled to score on his chances. Im sure he'd tell you the same thing.

Well to me it says just how valuable he is. They needed him in that lineup. Don't discount his defensive game.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Ziggy Stardust said:

I'll try to get some more clips up in the near future. I haven't done much with my website since the offseason began (as well as the warm weather :) I have plenty of Michigan hockey tapes laying around, including the CCHA playoffs and both regional games where Tamby tore it up.

I think Red Berenson once compared Tambellini to Brett Hull. He's not about fancy stick work... he's about getting open, getting the puck, and teeing off a helluva shot. Not only does he have a good, accurate slapshot, but his wrist shot probably has the quickest release I've seen of any college hockey player. It just seems to leave his stick in a fraction of the time it takes others and with a lot of zip, too. He's a very fast skater and this past season was not only a force offensively (finished 3rd in the NCAA scoring race after suffering a big sophomore slump, which can also be looked at as a testament to his mental toughness) but vastly improved defensively, too. He lead U-M with a +30 rating, as opposed to his +5 rating his sophomore year.

I think part of the reason he wasn't heard about much this season is because he was overshadowed a bit by T.J. Hensick.

Hensick was more consistent offensively and led U-M in scoring most of the way enroute to being named a Hobey Baker Award finalist (probably would have led U-M in scoring but played three fewer games). Plus he's draft eligible this year, so probably more eyes were on him. Tambellini really cranked up the heat late in the season scoring 21 points in his final 10 games, and despite finishing 3rd in the NCAA scoring race, he wasn't named a finalist for the Hobey. Hensick seemed to grab more of the attention of fans and opponents with his fancy stick work and scoring ability, while Tamby quietly tore it up in the second half of the season and was dominating at the end.

If you saw Tambellini play his sophomore year, I can understand why some opinions of him may not be as high as others. If you saw him his freshman and junior years, the same can't be said. He was excellent those two seasons, and hopefully he'll pick up his senior season where he left off his junior.

McSorley 33

Feb 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, Ca
MHNet said:
I'll try to get some more clips up in the near future. I haven't done much with my website since the offseason began (as well as the warm weather :) I have plenty of Michigan hockey tapes laying around, including the CCHA playoffs and both regional games where Tamby tore it up.

I think Red Berenson once compared Tambellini to Brett Hull. He's not about fancy stick work... he's about getting open, getting the puck, and teeing off a helluva shot. Not only does he have a good, accurate slapshot, but his wrist shot probably has the quickest release I've seen of any college hockey player. It just seems to leave his stick in a fraction of the time it takes others and with a lot of zip, too. He's a very fast skater and this past season was not only a force offensively (finished 3rd in the NCAA scoring race after suffering a big sophomore slump, which can also be looked at as a testament to his mental toughness) but vastly improved defensively, too. He lead U-M with a +30 rating, as opposed to his +5 rating his sophomore year.

I think part of the reason he wasn't heard about much this season is because he was overshadowed a bit by T.J. Hensick.

Hensick was more consistent offensively and led U-M in scoring most of the way enroute to being named a Hobey Baker Award finalist (probably would have led U-M in scoring but played three fewer games). Plus he's draft eligible this year, so probably more eyes were on him. Tambellini really cranked up the heat late in the season scoring 21 points in his final 10 games, and despite finishing 3rd in the NCAA scoring race, he wasn't named a finalist for the Hobey. Hensick seemed to grab more of the attention of fans and opponents with his fancy stick work and scoring ability, while Tamby quietly tore it up in the second half of the season and was dominating at the end.

If you saw Tambellini play his sophomore year, I can understand why some opinions of him may not be as high as others. If you saw him his freshman and junior years, the same can't be said. He was excellent those two seasons, and hopefully he'll pick up his senior season where he left off his junior.

Any video of tam would be great! :handclap:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
McSorley 33 said:
Chistov isn't in the same league as Fro-Man. Even Mc-19 won't argue that! :eek:

Frolov is from the 2000 draft Chistov from the 2001 draft.

Chistov is a small skilled Russian, Frolov is a big skilled Russian.

Frolov simply is made for the NHL game more than Chistov.

Chistov could wake up from his extended Sophomore slump but he will never has as much of an impact in the NHL as Frolov because of style of play.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
McSorley 33 said:
AND THEN THE CROWD FELL SILENT! :kings

In all fairness, Chistov is still a very valuable young player. The confidence in him is shot right now because he took a step back while Frolov took a step forward. A GM would be nuts to pass on a player like Chistov, though.

Between the four prospects, I'd pick them as:
Brown
Getzlaf
Perry
Tambellini

I'm really happy with Tambellini as a prospect, but I'm waiting to see which Tambellini is the real one.

I'd take the Kings prospects, but then again I'm biased. I also think Boyle is being grossly overlooked here.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'd rank them like this:
1. Brown
2. Getzlaf
3. Perry/Tambellini
5. Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad