Speculation: Kings championship statues

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I distinctly remember someone in the Kings Front Office, Robitaille or maybe Leiweke, saying (either in newspaper or radio, maybe both) during the 2012 playoff run that Quick was so hot that if he lead LA to its first Cup, he would get a statue for sure, alongside Wayne, Magic, Chick, Kareem and Oscar in front of Staples Center.

Since that time, we won a second Cup and both runs had numerous playoff heroes. ...like more than double digits each run. Unlike basketball, hockey is a team sport. Plus even if you count the MVPs, Quick is only one of two Conn Smythe winners. But it seems wrong to give only Williams a statue for 2014 and not guys like Kopitar. And what about Dean Lombardi?

Plus these two Cups were won at Staples Center so it makes even more sense to actually have some sort of memorial one day. Naturally it would be after the last guy, someone like Doughty, retires. So it won’t be tomorrow but within our lifetimes in theory.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Anschutz and Robitaille were already starting to plan something. What do you think it should look like?

Anywhoo, something interesting to think about while in self-quarantine. I have some ideas myself.

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
ySQy7CHh6hSusT4JM7t1wTJQg1xHfEb9TGmxNLPJjKQ.jpg

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think they'll do statues for everyone. Think of all the other Staples Center greats that do and don't have statues and it's hard to do similar things for the Kings. I would think so far Kopitar and Doughty are of equal importance, maybe nod to Kopitar...with Quick and Brown right behind them.

Quick's had kind of an underrated career, he's arguably the greatest American goalie of all time already.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't think they'll do statues for everyone. Think of all the other Staples Center greats that do and don't have statues and it's hard to do similar things for the Kings. I would think so far Kopitar and Doughty are of equal importance, maybe nod to Kopitar...with Quick and Brown right behind them.

Quick's had kind of an underrated career, he's arguably the greatest American goalie of all time already.
Isn't Ryan Miller going to be considered ahead of him though? Guy's gonna stick around like another Luongo and just compile stats. I don't see Quick having that long of a career.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Miller is on his last leg. He’s UFA after this year IIRC and he’s not going to be doing much compiling as a backup.
It is interesting looking at the two of them. Miller is 4 years longer in the NHL. Has a Vezina, but Quick's been a finalist twice and has two Jennings and a playoff MVP. Miller has a higher save percentage, but not by much and Quick has a lower GAA. Quick's QS% is higher though. Yeah, Quick may already be the best overall American goalie. I had though Miller had more Shutouts too, but he doesn't. Miller does have more wins. Quick is closer than I thought, that's for sure.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Quick is every bit as important in my mind as Kopitar and Doughty, and only one of them has a Connie.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It is interesting looking at the two of them. Miller is 4 years longer in the NHL. Has a Vezina, but Quick's been a finalist twice and has two Jennings and a playoff MVP. Miller has a higher save percentage, but not by much and Quick has a lower GAA. Quick's QS% is higher though. Yeah, Quick may already be the best overall American goalie. I had though Miller had more Shutouts too, but he doesn't. Miller does have more wins. Quick is closer than I thought, that's for sure.
Yeah Quick is the all time leader in shutouts by an american IIRC. I dunno I'm biased towards Quick having watched him for so long, plus Miller has always seemed like a bit of a bitch to me.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Yeah Quick is the all time leader in shutouts by an american IIRC. I dunno I'm biased towards Quick having watched him for so long, plus Miller has always seemed like a bit of a bitch to me.
Miller seemed to get a lot of attention when he had good regular season stats, but overall he isn't actually pulling much better than Quick and Quick has an ugly outlier that dips his career totals down a little. But you're right, if there's anything that absolutely stands out is that Quick is a much better playoff performer. He's still one of the few active goalies that gets better in the playoffs, stats wise.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Quick by a landslide over Miller. Some stuff already mentioned above, so here are things that are not. Quick has the record for most shutouts by a USA goaltender in history. Miller has only 2 Top 10 Vezina finishes in his career. Quick has 6. We all know that Lundqvist's Vezina was a career achievement award as Quick had a better regular season and then absolutely killed it in the playoffs. Quick has far superior playoff numbers to Miller as well, including 9 playoff shutouts to 3. When Quick is done it's going to be a discussion between he and Mike Richter and even then, Richter's legacy is heavily weighted upon being a Ranger.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It was for the 50th Anniversary not the Cup wins.
Thanks, I couldn't figure out what all of those players have in common. If it was for the 50th anniversary, I would have thought they would have a player like Eddie Joyal as part of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad