News Article: Kings are a franchise built to last (Vey on next years team?)

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The kings have to add more skill to the top 3 lines, C/RW Vey, LW Pearson, and RW Tofffoli can do this. Sign LW Bickell 4years 3.5 mil in free agency. Leave Carter, Kopitar, and Richards at center. Put Williams, Pearson with Kopitar, Brown, Toffoli with Richards, and Vey, Bickell with Carter. Trade Stoll, Bernier and buy out Mitchell. Give Voynov 7 years 4.5 mil, and sign goalie Anton Khudobin 2 years 1.2 mil. Call up Kozun, send down King. You still have money to sign D Andrew Ference 1 year 2. mil contract. Or you could play Martinez or Ellerby with Doughty. I'm sick of seeing this team lose or win games 2 to 1

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Someone is going to give Bickell 4.5 to 5 a year. He is not signing for the same amount of money that Dustin Penner and Jarret Stoll did just a year ago.

Captain Mittens*

Someone is going to give Bickell 4.5 to 5 a year. He is not signing for the same amount of money that Dustin Penner and Jarret Stoll did just a year ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team offered him 6

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
has to be at least even money on Sather making a pitch for Bickell. the Rags love to flush money away. EDM in their attempt to get bigger, MTL to also get bigger......hell some fool will kick down a ridiculous contract. they always do.

the BH's fans here that are smart know they will lose him and publicly say not to pay north of $3M for him. that is still a hefty price for him and someone will top it

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Bickell is a non-starter, imo. Some team is going to give him a **** load of money and regret it the next year. It happens every single year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
has to be at least even money on Sather making a pitch for Bickell. the Rags love to flush money away. EDM in their attempt to get bigger, MTL to also get bigger......hell some fool will kick down a ridiculous contract. they always do.

the BH's fans here that are smart know they will lose him and publicly say not to pay north of $3M for him. that is still a hefty price for him and someone will top it

Was gonna say, would put my money on EDM. But I get the feeling it won't be AS horrible as many think if he lands there.

HolyShot*

Is Mike Richards a 3rd line talent on most teams? No, he most certainly isn't. But most teams don't have Anze Kopitar and Jeff Carter as #1 and #2, and most teams don't have a bottom 6 as terrible as the Kings. And moving Carter back to RW is ridiculous when we already have Williams and Toffoli, plus an out of position Brown.

I think the one thing we learned from this playoffs is the Kings can't win a cup scoring 2 goals a night, the Kings need to add skill to the lineup and roll with 3 lines capable of scoring. Richards will still play on the #1 PP, and #2 PK, and be on the ice in key situations (like with the goalie pulled) but with Kopitar and Carter here it makes better sense for Richards to be play behind them at ES. Now hopefully Dean can go out and get or call up 2-3 capable wingers to fill out the lines. I would agree it would be a total waste having Richards center Lewis and black hole Clifford.

Richards centering Read (or an acquisition like him) and Holloway or Pearson would be a really solid 3rd line for the Kings,

Moving carter back to the center position? No. Do not like. Our top 6 is set except for brown who will be kept on. Then we'll have toffoli and pearson in the top 6 with pearson playing 2nd line LW and toffoli in the 1st line RW spot, williams on the left. That's how I see it playing out. Players have to slot correctly and richards is a premier talent, not 3rd line. Just like how pearson and toffoli don't belong on the 4th.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I can't wait to see which GM is going to win the Idiot of the Year award with the Bickell signing.

2011-02-28.jpg

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Moving carter back to the center position? No. Do not like. Our top 6 is set except for brown who will be kept on. Then we'll have toffoli and pearson in the top 6 with pearson playing 2nd line LW and toffoli in the 1st line RW spot, williams on the left. That's how I see it playing out. Players have to slot correctly and richards is a premier talent, not 3rd line. Just like how pearson and toffoli don't belong on the 4th.

Our top 6 was not good enough to beat Chicago, the Kings need to have a capable Top 9 to beat the Hawks.

Williams is not a LW, if you bump Carter back to RW you are putting Toffoli on either the 4th line or in Manchester. If Pearson replaces Penner and that's all you do, we have the same issues with King-Stoll- Lewis on the 3rd line.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Our top 6 was not good enough to beat Chicago, the Kings need to have a capable Top 9 to beat the Hawks.

Williams is not a LW, if you bump Carter back to RW you are putting Toffoli on either the 4th line or in Manchester. If Pearson replaces Penner and that's all you do, we have the same issues with King-Stoll- Lewis on the 3rd line.

I agree. The Kings would greatly benefit from making use of their center depth with Kopitar - Carter - Richards - Stoll. Carter's game really elevated once he was in the middle of the ice.

Sydor25

LA Kings

Not true at all. The Kings were good enough to beat anyone in a 7 game series, but when Kopitar and Brown are no shows, then you aren't going to beat anyone. Look how Kane elevated his game in the WCF, that is why the Kings were eliminated. Where was Kopitar and Brown?

The Kings are weakest on the wing and moving Carter to center doesn't improve anything except put Richards with players that can't finish. Carter led the Western conference in goals with Richards as his center.

Richards isn't a goal scorer and putting him with King and Lewis won't make their hands any better. Stoll is great as the third line center and he is better than most 3rd line centers in the league.

Why not move Lewis to the 4th line and put Toffoli with Stoll? Puts a sniper on the 3rd line that can finish against weaker defensive pairs and puts less pressure on the rookie.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson/UFA/Trade-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Toffoli
Clifford-Fraser-Lewis

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I can't wait to see which GM is going to win the Idiot of the Year award with the Bickell signing.

Yep, it's bound to happen. Bickell shouldn't be getting that kind of money. He's been incredibly opportunistic during the playoffs and I'm not sure he could repeat this type of performance. There are always guys like this in the draft we should keep our eye on. He never produced eye popping numbers, but pretty good for a large guy.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
It's not about having a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd line, it's about having 3 lines that can all score. With Kopitar, Carter, and Richards all playing center, each of the top 3 lines could be considered first lines. Kopitar's line was checking the other teams first line during the playoffs, and Richards line was checking the second lines. So why not have Carter center another line. Most teams in the nhl can't match up with the kings if they do this. If you put Brown, Williams, and a free agent W with each of the centers, and add Vey and Pearson to the mix, the kings will be hard to stop. You don't need a shut down 3rd line on this team because all the centers play great defense at 5 on 5.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
Still makes no sense given how long Williams has been successful playing RW alongside Kopitar. Why not move Doughty to forward since he's the best skater on the team? Or Voynov for that matter?

I don't disagree with you, was just speculating on the answer to the question you asked.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
I agree. The Kings would greatly benefit from making use of their center depth with Kopitar - Carter - Richards - Stoll. Carter's game really elevated once he was in the middle of the ice.

Carter is an absolute monster in open ice, Phil Kessel on steroids type stuff. I agree with bumping Richards down to 3C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad