News Article: Kings are a franchise built to last (Vey on next years team?)

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Only thing that worries me about moving Stoll and bringing up Vey is, how strong is Vey on faceoffs? Our strength on the PK is that we have 4 C's that can win a faceoff. I just worry that going from MR/Carter, Kopi/Brown, Stoll/Lewis to Vey/Lewis makes us weaker on the PK especially with the possibility of losing Scuds.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He says Vey will make the team next year, that means either the Kings are moving their best defensive forward in Kopi to the LW or Carter moves back to the RW after playing by far his best hockey as a King at center. Either that or Stoll is moved for a pick.

Will be an interesting summer.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
He says Vey will make the team next year, that means either the Kings are moving their best defensive forward in Kopi to the LW or Carter moves back to the RW after playing by far his best hockey as a King at center. Either that or Stoll is moved for a pick.

Will be an interesting summer.

That is pretty much where I am at too. There are a couple of other wrinkles that could happen but we still have to make room and LV is a center. We could play him on RW, he has done it before but he is a natural C and much much better when he plays there.

I dunno. It seem early to me all things considered but lets see what happens is where I am at.

KingKopitar11*

You know If Stoll and Bernier get packaged we can get hell of a top LW if Vey can replace Stoll. That'd be a sexy trade.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I personally don't think Stoll will be moved, in fact I think he's one of the safer guys on the roster. He just does so many things. How many spots that are opened up depends on DL.

I see a couple holes, regardless of what ends up happening in the playoffs this year.

1. SAH defensman. Not sure what is going to happen with Scuds. If he does depart, odds are very low that the position would be filled from within. DL is going to find a replacement. I'm assuming that Mitchell is done.

2. Penner's spot. If Dustin goes, I think odds are about 50/50 this is filled from within by Toffoli. A lot of it depends on money available from RFA's and the defense spot.

If what Ferreira says plays out, the most likely case is the Kings going Kopitar-Richards-Stoll-Vey down the middle. I don't think Pearson is up next season.

If that plays out, space is going to be made by Richardson's departure. I agree that Fras is going to stick around, he's good bang for buck, and can sit a few games and not miss a beat.

If the Kings grab a winger and want to trade to open a spot, what's likely? Lewis isn't going anywhere, he's a key to our bottom 6. I think there is a small chance that Clifford is traded, but the deal would have to be one that DL loves (like packaged with Bernier for a very good winger with a manageable salary.)

The most likely suspect to be moved IMO is Nolan, followed by King. I like Jordan's intensity, but he is the kind of guy that other GM's are going to inquire about.

I'm curious to see what happens with Toffoli. He's earned a spot already in my eyes, he's produced more than expected every time he's been inserted in the lineup. He obviously has chemistry with Vey, but he needs more than 4th line minutes.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I would never get rid of Fraser. He isn't exactly breaking the bank and he's an important depth player with playoff experience. $825,000 is nothing.

It's not so much about the money -- he makes peanuts as far as NHL players go -- but that he takes up a roster spot. Let's face it, he's not very versatile, and as far as I'm concerned, doesn't bring much -- let alone energy -- to the table. A guy like Richardson is perfect for a 13/14F role, and if we can buyout Fraser, I'd try and re-sign him.

With what Vey has done this year, there shouldn't be a question as to whether he'll be on the roster next year. C or RW, doesn't matter -- the guy is a great playmaker and should fit in nicely regardless of whomever he plays with.

Personally, I'd try and re-sign Penner to another one-year deal and let Pearson stay in the AHL until an injury falls upon us.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I personally don't think Stoll will be moved, in fact I think he's one of the safer guys on the roster. He just does so many things. How many spots that are opened up depends on DL.

I see a couple holes, regardless of what ends up happening in the playoffs this year.

1. SAH defensman. Not sure what is going to happen with Scuds. If he does depart, odds are very low that the position would be filled from within. DL is going to find a replacement. I'm assuming that Mitchell is done.

2. Penner's spot. If Dustin goes, I think odds are about 50/50 this is filled from within by Toffoli. A lot of it depends on money available from RFA's and the defense spot.

If what Ferreira says plays out, the most likely case is the Kings going Kopitar-Richards-Stoll-Vey down the middle. I don't think Pearson is up next season.

If that plays out, space is going to be made by Richardson's departure. I agree that Fras is going to stick around, he's good bang for buck, and can sit a few games and not miss a beat.

If the Kings grab a winger and want to trade to open a spot, what's likely? Lewis isn't going anywhere, he's a key to our bottom 6. I think there is a small chance that Clifford is traded, but the deal would have to be one that DL loves (like packaged with Bernier for a very good winger with a manageable salary.)

The most likely suspect to be moved IMO is Nolan, followed by King. I like Jordan's intensity, but he is the kind of guy that other GM's are going to inquire about.

I'm curious to see what happens with Toffoli. He's earned a spot already in my eyes, he's produced more than expected every time he's been inserted in the lineup. He obviously has chemistry with Vey, but he needs more than 4th line minutes.

I think you are likely right about Stoll not being moved. DL will have to want to move him or need to for cap space. I think he will be with us next season.

If WM is done then we will go out of our way to hang on to Scuds. WM will go to LTIR giving us the space to do so.

TT won't play LW so I don't see him replacing DP. If for some totally bizarre reason TT does get moved to LW (a spot he has failed miserably at when having tried to do so before) then I would expect him to become the new whipping boy before the season is out. We would be much better served by bringing Pearson up and letting him develop in the NHL then risk ruining TT by putting him out of position.

While I find them both replaceable I think that King and Nolan are likely kept because they will both be cheap and both are physically big. King may not play to his size all too often but that can turn around. He has been a solid utility forward for us and we will likely hang on to him.

I don't see Vey playing as our 4rth line C. He is a rookie and while he is positionally sound and a capable two way C I think he would be best brought along with a bit of shelter next season if he is to be with the team. 4th line C would leave him exposed a ton.

Good news?

Well there is lots of it but the best news is that the people who built this team and have won us 1 cup and now have us poised to do it again have a plan. I think it will work out. Interesting ideas by most everyone though.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Moving Carter back to the wing is stupid, he looked better than Richards has ever looked as a King and better than Kopitar looked the entire season.

Even if Kopitar returns to normal, Carter may still be the better player.

Carter has a burst and a release that Kopitar and Richards don't.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You can obviously tell Carter is a monster in open ice and leading the rush. As far as I'm concerned he should be a center for the rest of his career until proven otherwise.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
An interview with Jack Ferreira, one of DL's assistants about how well DL did building this team, their run this year and what the future holds.

http://blog.pe.com/2013/06/07/column-kings-are-a-franchise-built-to-last/

Among other thins he mentions (like the plane rides home with every player wearing ice packs) is that :

“Vey will be in our lineup next year, and Tanner’s not far away,” Ferreira said.

I guess that means Fraser is gone???

I had a good feeling about Vey.

So, with Toffoli almost guaranteed, and Vey looking like the possible second addition to the kings, I really don't see any other openings for our kids.

I know TT is a top 6, but I wouldn't mind seeing Clifford-Vey-Toffoli as our 4th line from time to time.

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
Moving Carter back to the wing is stupid, he looked better than Richards has ever looked as a King and better than Kopitar looked the entire season.

Even if Kopitar returns to normal, Carter may still be the better player.

Carter has a burst and a release that Kopitar and Richards don't.
Last year Kopitar is our best center by far, on both ends of the ice, with and without the puck...let's be serious here.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
We don't have to move Stoll, Vey, if he makes the team, could alternate with Fraser and gain experience.

It was last year. What if he never going to be the same player, because of injury?

That's a little overdramatic, people were saying the same about Quick this year. Go back and look at the threads earlier, a lot of people were on the Bernier for the playoffs bus. Toews and Kane have also disappeared this playoffs, hell just look at Crosby and Malkin in the Boston series... All players struggle with injury and consistency. I am pretty confident that Kopitar will be alright after a good long rest this offseason. It will be nice to have training camp again after the fiasco that started this year and I'm sure Kopitar will come ready to play after he does what he needs to do in the offseason.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
We don't have to move Stoll, Vey, if he makes the team, could alternate with Fraser and gain experience.

That's a little overdramatic, people were saying the same about Quick this year. Go back and look at the threads earlier, a lot of people were on the Bernier for the playoffs bus. Toews and Kane have also disappeared this playoffs, hell just look at Crosby and Malkin in the Boston series... All players struggle with injury and consistency. I am pretty confident that Kopitar will be alright after a good long rest this offseason. It will be nice to have training camp again after the fiasco that started this year and I'm sure Kopitar will come ready to play after he does what he needs to do in the offseason.

Next year Kopitar also has the opportunity to play in the Olympics.

Kopitar will be ready.

Carter will be moved back to wing with Richards.

Stoll is not going anywhere, he is one the guys Lombardi wants kids to emulate.

Vey will most likely get a shot at 4th line Center.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Vey can be a utility forward playing spot duty and sheltered minutes without having to be assigned to any specific spot. I like that idea more than forcing an O minded rookie to carry any real D responsibility like being a 4rth line C. A shift or two here or there is fine. Vey's two way game is good enough to where he can contribute and develop for a season with us without being exposed too much.

I am not understanding the falloff on Kopitar by some of us. He's young and a great player. He is dealing with injuries. He will heal up this offseason and be ready to step back into his 1st line C role and right there among the best in the game (top 10). The guy is our #1C.

Carter at C sure looks like a no brainer to me but, he was #4 in the entire league in goal scoring and would have likely been close to a 35g season from playing RW. Either way Carter is a great player. Knowing for a fact that we can move him to C if needs dictate sure makes him a great player to have around.

We have a logjam at C with Vey coming up and then Shore behind him but what a great problem to have.

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010
Only thing that worries me about moving Stoll and bringing up Vey is, how strong is Vey on faceoffs? Our strength on the PK is that we have 4 C's that can win a faceoff. I just worry that going from MR/Carter, Kopi/Brown, Stoll/Lewis to Vey/Lewis makes us weaker on the PK especially with the possibility of losing Scuds.

If moving Stoll means keeping Scuderi then that's best for the PK.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
They can keep both, no idea were everyone is getting this from....

If Scuds signs an extension for around 3m to 3.5m....The Kings lose no one.

THe problem is the 'if'. With Gonchar getting 10 Mill from the Stars for 2 year , it means agents, like Voynov's and Scuds' could ask for more.
Given how much some teams overpaid at the deadline for D, esp. solid Vet. D, Scuds might want more than 3.5, he might want north of 4.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
THe problem is the 'if'. With Gonchar getting 10 Mill from the Stars for 2 year , it means agents, like Voynov's and Scuds' could ask for more.
Given how much some teams overpaid at the deadline for D, esp. solid Vet. D, Scuds might want more than 3.5, he might want north of 4.

That's fine then he can walk. But any team that pays north of 4 for Scuds with the cap coming down is really hurting themselves.

No contending team, Except NYI (maybe) ? Is going to pay him that.

The vast majority of the legit contending teams, are right up against the Cap.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The islanders make a ton of sense for Scuds. He's from LI, they're and up and coming team who needs a steady vet like him. Take Streit's money and throw it as Scuds. I'm expecting Scuds to be a goner during free agency. Wouldn't shock me if he's the first guy signed.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
That's fine then he can walk. But any team that pays north of 4 for Scuds with the cap coming down is really hurting themselves.

No contending team, Except NYI (maybe) ? Is going to pay him that.

The vast majority of the legit contending teams, are right up against the Cap.

Good point on the Isles...Streit wants 5-6 per year and the Isles won't pay that. So if DL can't come to terms with Scuds, maybe he packages him with Bernier to the ISles and he gets something back rather than letting him walk

It will be an interesting summer...teams buying out players and those players looking for deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00