Confirmed with Link: Kings aquire Bishop, 2017 5th rd pk for Budaj , Erik Cernak, 7th & cond pick

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I read DLs comments since the trade and unless I am misreading that I think he appears to hope to sign Bishop long-term? I would post the link but this is from my phone. Has anybody else who has read that article since Bishop's acquisition understood this to be true?

Specifically he said that he'd recognized as he cannot ride quick the same way he has been going into the future because he doesn't want to burn him out or shorten his career in the long run

I think they would like to but they can't afford him. I think most of us, even Quick himself, know that his style is brutal on the body.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Budaj has out played Ben Bishop this season. Peter has struggled the last few games, but team has played like garbage in front of him too. Bishop has had a better career than Budaj but this season he's struggled. Budaj has battled this whole season and to dump him for a guy that he has out played is B.S.

Budaj since the All-Star break, 5-6-0 2.35 GAA .907SV%. Bishop since the All-Star break, 5-1-0 1.64 GAA .938SV%. Budaj has been bad since the Kings had there week off, he really has. The Kings need every win they can get, and having Quick & Bishop, two #1's, gives them a way better chance at that.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Which is why this makes so much sense if you split these 2 over 40 plus games a season this is a giant two-headed monster in net

How do we afford Bishop, and who says than an FA Bishop will sign with a team where he'll be the 1B guy?

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Duuuude, read Lombardi's quotes.

We have five sets of back to backs left...Lombard knows that Quick can't play every game remaining in the season....not to mention, they have to ease up on him due to coming back from injury.

This gives the Kings the option to play a #1 goaltender every game...which they absolutely need since they are fighting for a playoff spot. The end.

So we gave up stuff only to claw into the playoffs, bomb out to Chicago, Minnesota or San Jose in the 1st round, and then lose Bishop for nothing? Cool.

If I were DL, I'm doing it Martin Jones style. Trade him to the highest bidder in the Atlantic.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
So we gave up stuff only to claw into the playoffs, bomb out to Chicago, Minnesota or San Jose in the 1st round, and then lose Bishop for nothing? Cool.

If I were DL, I'm doing it Martin Jones style. Trade him to the highest bidder in the Atlantic.

Goes UFA to Calgary. Somehow gets blamed.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Didn't the Kings waste picks to trade up to draft Zykov?

Understand the hit and miss thing, but man that trade is like not only trading Zykov, but the other picks spent to draft him.
So how many picks does that really add up to?

Maybe Zykov at 17/18 is different than Zykov at 20/21. Maybe the draft wasn't deep. Maybe Lombardi and co. misjudged the player.

Looking at the roster in Ontario, it's a little sad how many AHL vets they have there to fill it out. At the same time, if you have young guys there that don't make a huge impression, that isn't necessarily better.

The core of this team isn't getting younger, and there's more than enough time to go through a rebuilding process. If Lombardi wants to trade a prospect with at best a 50/50 chance to do something in the NHL to give the current team a better chance, even in theory, I'm good with that.

And those teams that miss more often than hit are mediocre.

I'm not married to Zykov or Cernak but I am married to the notion of getting an NHL player with your first pick in a draft as opposed to 10 games of Kris Versteeg and TBD of Bishop. Especially when you trade up for one of them.

I am not off base whatsoever to critique the regime's draft record over the past five drafts or so. Harder to be successful without 1st round picks, I know, but the fact they haven't had many is another can of worms.

Which is fair, but if the first pick is 32nd, 37th, 44th, or 50th, that's a little different than 7th.

But look at with DL said. He said that this is not an insurance policy and that the days of quick playing 70 games a season are over and knowing the DL always wants a number one in that it would make sense that he's going to try to sign Bishop in the offseason. This team was built from the net out. I am calling it now. DL is gonna try to sign Bishop

There's no cap space for it. Unless Bishop took more than a 75% pay cut. Or, if Lombardi could get rid of both Brown and Gaborik, free and clear. If that happened though, you wouldn't want to spend that money on another big money goalie.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
How do we afford Bishop, and who says than an FA Bishop will sign with a team where he'll be the 1B guy?

Cause he is in his 30s or is 30. This will extend his career to play more years. The guy is freakishly tall so joint break down is better preserved. Jones was just starting out. This may be a pipe dream and Bish would have to buy into it but this gives LA a shot every year at the playoffs. I think after this year DL has to shed salary and give younger prospects a chance. This is how LA won before in 2012 and I think he's trying to get back to his roots of rebuilding without tearing the team up entirely. I think Brown and Gabby are gone after this year and one of Martinez/Muzzin. Chicago paid KaneToews 10 mil a piece. I think DL is going to make some kind adjustment in the offseason to make the money work. I can't predict exactly how this will work out but I think this is the direction we are going. If he can't ride Quick 70 games a season he needs a better plan than prospects as a backup so this seems the most logical

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Bishop is DL's insurance to get as many W's as it takes to get into the playoffs because the team isn't scoring. And given Quick's absense nd prior groin issues, insurance for the potential playoff run

he is a rental, he will be a starter next year in the NHL and looking for 5 or more at 7 M or more (per rumors from last summer) He'll have his pick of teams that need a #1.

He's not a backup beyond June 2017

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Bishop is DL's insurance to get as many W's as it takes to get into the playoffs because the team isn't scoring. And given Quick's absense nd prior groin issues, insurance for the potential playoff run

he is a rental, he will be a starter next year in the NHL and looking for 5 or more at 7 M or more (per rumors from last summer) He'll have his pick of teams that need a #1.

He's not a backup beyond June 2017

Bish may sign elsewhere but I think DLs intent is sign him. Whether that happens not not remains to be seen.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Someone's gunna have to explain to me how Bishop makes the Kings a better offensive team. Obviously he shores up the team defensively a little bit more for the 10 games he might play for the Kings and asset-wise it was no big deal, but to use up most of your remaining cap space to get him when you didn't NEED him is still a little puzzling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad