Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Doesn't really matter, if he sucks (which he won't), Seattle won't take him anyways. Look at Brown.

But I get what you mean.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Probably not going to matter due to his age. No one is taking that contract if Kovi comes in and stinks it up.
Yeah, the only reason for a trade would be if Kovalchuk plays well and the rest of the team stinks it up. The only possibility I see of a trade happening would be in the last year of his deal and the Kings are out of the race and send him to a contending team.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Hi everyone. Devils fan coming in peace.

I feel it is the same type of thing here since it isn't the Devils fans' money: all they care about is the product on the ice and will feel upset if someone walks away from them
This is how I feel; I don't think too highly of him as an individual, but that's all I'll say on that.

As for the contract, I sincerely he works out for you guys, because I'm not a fan of that contract, at all.
I expecting he doesn't go over 20 goals/40 points, but that's just me.

Will be interesting to see how he goes over the course of a year, and how his physical condition lasts.
Best of luck to you and your team!

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
As for the contract, I sincerely he works out for you guys, because I'm not a fan of that contract, at all.
i'm not sure anyone truly expects a 30 goal scorer but even 15-20 on his back alone takes the meddling kings offense a bit closer to top 10, and i expect him to benefit from him being on what may potentially be an absolute monster of a #1 PP unit

Reactions: BHD

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I think Kovy pots 33 goals . He hangs out with legends Malkin and Radulov all over his Instagram he can’t disgrace mother Russia ! He’s a legend himself watch them win the Cup baby

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans

This is how I feel; I don't think too highly of him as an individual, but that's all I'll say on that.

Will be interesting to see how he goes over the course of a year, and how his physical condition lasts.

Kind of hard to believe Brown is better that him

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

If Dustin Brown can have a 27 goal 61 point season in his mid 30's so can Kovalchuk.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kovalchuk is only a year and a half older than Brown and Carter.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
i'm not sure anyone truly expects a 30 goal scorer but even 15-20 on his back alone takes the meddling kings offense a bit closer to top 10, and i expect him to benefit from him being on what may potentially be an absolute monster of a #1 PP unit
You'd be okay with 15 goals? You could have Vanek making 2M do that.

Kovalchuk needs to score at least 20 goals and 50 points per season to justify his contract. Barring injury, anything less is unacceptable.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some fun Doughty stats.

He took the second most shot attempts on the team, trailing only Tyler Toffoli's 439 shot attempts. Drew had 401 shot attempts, with a 51.1% of those shots finding their way through towards the net.

That puts him 20th on the team in getting shots through on net. Folin and Phaneuf had more success in getting shots through. The worst by far were Forbort and Muzzin. Of course, you did't need the numbers to realize this as they are constantly ripped on in GDT threads due to their inability to get pucks through on net, and the evidence supports the critics.

Of Forbort's 194 shot attempts, only 40.2% made their way to the net. Muzzin had 353 shot attempts, 4th most on the team. Only 43.6% of those shots got through.

If you're wondering why the PP sucks so much, the inability of getting shots through is one of the big factors that contributed to it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some fun Doughty stats.

He took the second most shot attempts on the team, trailing only Tyler Toffoli's 439 shot attempts. Drew had 401 shot attempts, with a 51.1% of those shots finding their way through towards the net.

That puts him 20th on the team in getting shots through on net. Folin and Phaneuf had more success in getting shots through. The worst by far were Forbort and Muzzin. Of course, you did't need the numbers to realize this as they are constantly ripped on in GDT threads due to their inability to get pucks through on net, and the evidence supports the critics.

Of Forbort's 194 shot attempts, only 40.2% made their way to the net. Muzzin had 353 shot attempts, 4th most on the team. Only 43.6% of those shots got through.

If you're wondering why the PP sucks so much, the inability of getting shots through is one of the big factors that contributed to it.

Are those PP stats though?

Not that the point doesn't stand, just curious. The predictability/long wind-ups are a killer. Part of that on the PP at least isn't only the d-men's fault.

Doughty's shot was phenomenal early in his career when slap shots and one timers still had space but he hasn't fully adapted to the quick releases more offensive d-men are using now (i.e. LaDue), though this season seemed a step in the right direction for the most part.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Are those PP stats though?

Not that the point doesn't stand, just curious. The predictability/long wind-ups are a killer. Part of that on the PP at least isn't only the d-men's fault.

Doughty's shot was phenomenal early in his career when slap shots and one timers still had space but he hasn't fully adapted to the quick releases more offensive d-men are using now (i.e. LaDue), though this season seemed a step in the right direction for the most part.

Just overall shots.

There are some PP shot numbers that can be found here,
NHL.com - Stats

Doughty and Muzzin led the team in PP shots that missed the net, 20 for Drew, 18 for Muzzin. They also combined for 109 shots shots on the PP, led by Drew's team leading 74.

Reactions: King Trouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You guys don't like Doughty clearing the puck himself when he shoots wide and off the glass causing the puck to rebound to center ice?
It's always better to kill the suspense and see Doughty blast it off the shin pads of the defender standing two feet away from him.

Reactions: King Trouty

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

“Devils fan coming in peace.”

“I think that contract sucks and Kovy is going to suck too.”

Lmfao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad