Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Use that same logic on McDavid and Draisaitl

Again, you’re just not seeing the bigger picture here.

McDavid and Drai are contracted through their prime years. They have a place in the Oilers attempted rebuilds. Kopitar does not.

If Kopitar is 22 right now and signed to the exact same 10x8 contract - and the Kings are in the exact same position - I’m not arguing about any of this. Kopitar clearly has a place in the Kings rebuild from ages 22-30.

I can’t speak for K17, but I’m pretty sure he would feel the same way.

Reactions: KINGS17

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
K17 wanted to trade Kopitar for Ryan Johansen.

Is this team better with RyJo at 8 million than Kopitar at 10?

What's the purpose of having a 1C period? Not throwing Vilardi in the fire. Insulation. not being Edmonton.

Youth insulation is a very fair argument. We can bicker about youth insulation being worth a $10 million dollar hit, but that’s another argument.

I will say this, though: Kopitar was thrown into a #1C role almost immediately and turned out pretty okay.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If you haven't noticed, there's a shortage of elite cup winning 1cs in the cap era

Crosby (Malkin?)
Kopitar
Toews
Bergeron

It's not intellectual dishonesty, it's the reality the situation if you want to talk about Cup team context. Doesn't mean Kopitar is better than Crosby, just means that, I dunno, Backstrom? doesn't really fit the conversation (edit or does he now? he didn't before).
If you haven't noticed, Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron, while all very good players are not in Crosby or Malkin's class. The comparison on it's face is ridiculous.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Youth insulation is a very fair argument. We can bicker about youth insulation being worth a $10 million dollar hit, but that’s another argument.

I will say this, though: Kopitar was thrown into a #1C role almost immediately and turned out pretty okay.

They've gotta play, for sure. And I could see, say, Kakko walking on and doing just as well. But it's better to have a contingency plan as well just in case they're closer to Hischier/Patrick than McDavid/Matthews

You jest, but that’s a valid criticism of these overinflated star player contracts, is it not? Hawks lost a super talented youth because they mismanaged their cap.

It absolutely is and my ongoing point is that we haven't mismanaged ourselves into that situation yet while the Hawks f***ed up a fax machine as well as Panarin, as examples of management incompetence vs. our situation.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
K17 wanted to trade Kopitar for Ryan Johansen.

Is this team better with RyJo at 8 million than Kopitar at 10?

What's the purpose of having a 1C period? Not throwing Vilardi in the fire. Insulation. not being Edmonton.
Ryan Johansen, along with multiple other assets from Columbus, is one of the possibilities I suggested. I had other suggestions, but this is your go-to line of reasoning in which you always fail to mention the additional assets as if I wanted to see Kopitar traded for Johansen straight up. As I said, intellectually dishonest.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you haven't noticed, Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron, while all very good players are not in Crosby or Malkin's class. The comparison on it's face is ridiculous.

I'm trying to give you credit that you can parse that on your own but if you want to be deliberately obtuse to make discussion difficult just to be a pain in the ass that's on you.

In plan English, the point is that if you want to talk about contract situations of 1cs related to their team's success, those are the only guys you can discuss. The rest of us seem to be able to discuss ability granularly.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ryan Johansen, along with multiple other assets from Columbus, is one of the possibilities I suggested. I had other suggestions, but this is your go-to line of reasoning in which you always fail to mention the additional assets as if I wanted to see Kopitar traded for Johansen straight up. As I said, intellectually dishonest.

Sorry, Ryan Johansen plus a couple of mystery boxes. Let's pencil those guys into the roster too.

The point is the 1C slot and its attendant contract.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm trying to give you credit that you can parse that on your own but if you want to be deliberately obtuse to make discussion difficult just to be a pain in the ass that's on you.

In plan English, the point is that if you want to talk about contract situations of 1cs related to their team's success, those are the only guys you can discuss. The rest of us seem to be able to discuss ability granularly.
You are the one doing the parsing calling that mixed bag all 1Cs and acting as if there isn't a major difference between those three, and Crosby and Malkin.

So, you can call me a pain in the ass all you want, but you can't argue with logic on this subject.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sorry, Ryan Johansen plus a couple of mystery boxes. Let's pencil those guys into the roster too.

The point is the 1C slot and its attendant contract.
No, not mystery boxes other player(s) of NHL-caliber, or 1st round picks. Again, intellectually dishonest in the description of what Kopitar would have returned in a trade. The argument has never been Kopitar sucks, it was he isn't a good fit for where the Kings roster was at that point in time. Four years after the discussion was initiated I am willing to let history speak for itself, are you?

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Short of drafting Hughes, it’ll take a miracle recovery by Vilardi to have any shot at getting value out of Kopitar’s cap stretching contract before this current deal is up.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Short of drafting Hughes, it’ll take a miracle recovery by Vilardi to have any shot at getting value out of Kopitar’s cap stretching contract before this current deal is up.
I think the Kings are a long way from contention. Even if they snare Hughes or Kakko, the defense is devoid of quality depth. A lot more work to do there for Blake. I think @BigKing makes a very good point regarding the Kings willingness to lock in today's price for season ticket prices next year and the following year. Robitaille may have finally accepted the reality of the situation.

Reactions: LAKings88

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You are the one doing the parsing calling that mixed bag all 1Cs and acting as if there isn't a major difference between those three, and Crosby and Malkin.

So, you can call me a pain in the ass all you want, but you can't argue with logic on this subject.

I quite literally said there's a difference between the players. There's no argument to be had. you're trying to create one, not sure why you're making this all about yourself all of a sudden.

I pointed out their contract situations in context with their team success timeframes as per the ongoing conversation that you have ignored and continue to ignore.

No, not mystery boxes other player(s) of NHL-caliber, or 1st round picks. Again, intellectually dishonest in the description of what Kopitar would have returned in a trade. The argument has never been Kopitar sucks, it was he isn't a good fit for where the Kings roster was at that point in time. Four years after the discussion was initiated I am willing to let history speak for itself, are you?

Because it's irrelevant to the conversation. You're simply interjecting to run a defense you don't need to run. I'm simply talking about what the team looks like with a different 1C and a different contract, no more, no less.

However if you want to bring it up yes, that quite simply was your argument, that Kopitar is in decline as of three years ago, then he put up 92 points and thankfully shut you up for a season, but now you're feeling mighty vindicated I guess? Take a smug walk.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the Kings are a long way from contention. Even if they snare Hughes or Kakko, the defense is devoid of quality depth. A lot more work to do there for Blake. I think @BigKing makes a very good point regarding the Kings willingness to lock in today's price for season ticket prices next year and the following year. Robitaille may have finally accepted the reality of the situation.

i actually feel like the defense is a part that's getting overlooked mightily in part because of our current offensive woes.

Totally agree that we're more than a couple of years off.

Reactions: LAKings88

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I quite literally said there's a difference between the players. There's no argument to be had. you're trying to create one, not sure why you're making this all about yourself all of a sudden.

I pointed out their contract situations in context with their team success timeframes as per the ongoing conversation that you have ignored and continue to ignore.

Because it's irrelevant to the conversation. You're simply interjecting to run a defense you don't need to run. I'm simply talking about what the team looks like with a different 1C and a different contract, no more, no less.

However if you want to bring it up yes, that quite simply was your argument, that Kopitar is in decline as of three years ago, then he put up 92 points and thankfully shut you up for a season, but now you're feeling mighty vindicated I guess? Take a smug walk.
I said Kopitar's trend was down. He and Doughty both had career years last season, and it did the Kings absolutely no good. He won't duplicate that season again, and the Kings will continue to struggle as any useful years of his contract evaporate before our eyes.

Regarding making it about myself, I merely called you out on your BS misrepresentations of what I have said in the past. The only one being dishonest and smug, is you.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Frankly, the reason why I feel you keep Kopitar is the same reason I advocated keeping Carter until this season.

When a team is GOOD, it develops prospects who can fill in the role of veterans. Best case examples: Voynov making Johnson expendable. Hell, even Dwight King and Jordan Nolan supplanting vets for their 2012 cup run.

You develop quality prospects to move vets, and keep the circle going.

Trading Kopitar means you have a hole at 1C. To fill that, you must:
- risk forcing a young player there who's in over his head
- overpay for a legit 1C in free agency
- plug some player in there who's in over his head and set them up to fail.

The first option is very risky and can lead you down the Edmonton/Buffalo path. The third option just looks bad all around. The second option is the best one, but if we're doing that, why bother trading away what you already have? Assets? That's not how good organizations treat their players.

I know with how Carter is playing this year makes my point seem weak, as if we should have traded him sooner, but the same principle applies: the organization has either failed to keep or develop talent internally to supplant a player. At this point, we do have players playing better than Carter at 2C, but even though Carter was out most of last season, did anyone truly trust Kempe or Amadio as a regular #2C?

It's why I was an advocate for trading away Pearson/Toffoli. They have not stepped up as a core piece and the role of a middle 6 winger can be filled. It's why at the time the Kings acquired Sekera, I advocated trading Martinez for the role he filled.

I respect the opinion but vehemently disagree with the assertion Kopitar should have been traded. I think best case scenario we get more pieces to get excited about, as opposed to fixing the machine that truly made the Kings successful from 2012-2014.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
One way Blake can make a power move in the summer is offer sheeting an RFA. Here are the compensation rules.

$1,339,575 or less No compensation
$1,339,576 to $2,029,659 Third-round pick
$2,029,660 to $4,059,322 Second-round pick
$4,059,323 to $6,088,980 First and third-round picks
$6,088,981 to $8,118,641 First, second and third-round picks
$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $10,148,302 Four first-round picks

Obviously you don’t want to be giving up first round picks as a rebuilding team. But a 2nd rounder for the right player is an intriguing option.

I think there are some especially good candidates on defense out there on teams which could be vulnerable.

Ryan Murray, could get lost in the shuffle with all the free agents in Columbus
Ivan Provorov, has had a down year in Philly and they may be hesitant to match if the term is longer than 4 years
Marcus Pettersson, has played 68 games as a 23 yo and. Pittsburgh is up against the cap paying Jack Johnson
Scott Harrington, also on Columbus, could be signed low enough for a third round pick

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I'm gonna say Kopitar, Brown, and Quick should have been dealt between 2009 and 2012, could have gotten some MASSIVE players for him, I'm talking 1st round picks that could have produced gems like Brandon Gormley, Duncan Siemens, and Griffin Reinhart.....

Kings surely would have won the cup with those guys being young and all...
Yup. We would have been better off not winning those Cups. If we hadnt we would be such a young team right now.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's always amazing when people mention the SC's as some kind of justification when almost all the terrible moves and signings were made post SC.

Reactions: KINGS17

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He should have been traded as a pending UFA. I argued for that for a full year before he signed his extension because it was clear to me (and several others) that the Cup window had closed when they missed the playoffs in 2015. Others felt that they deserved another run, and there were a ton of civil and uncivil discussions here and elsewhere at that time.

So anywhere from the end of the 14-15 season(his worst season up to that point), or as the team had already traded for Lucic and an old Lecavalier, and was near the top of the standings, and clearly in win now mode? There simply wasn't a real opportunity to trade him. DL gave up on that when he went all in on Lucic.

I agree.

Hard to see anyway that it was realistic to to trade Kopitar at that time, now Doughty before he signed is a different story.

They gave Quick a 10 year deal days after winning the Conn Smythe. They gave Brown a big deal after a lackluster 2013 playoff, but based on what he did in the 2012 playoffs. They gave Kopitar his big deal. They weren't going to not sign Doughty if he wanted to stay. Call it bad management in all 4 cases, but they weren't going to say no to Doughty if he said yes. Not when they've already made the 3 previous mistakes. They were all going to get the Cup contracts. Those 4 specifically. Baked in the cake.

Again, we are making value judgments. Precedent does not tell the entire story.

And why shouldn't we want a visionary GM who makes difficult but beneficial decisions for the longterm health of the franchise? Isn't that why we're in this mess to begin with? Lombardi's poor foresight and insistence on chasing more Cups?

"Well, everyone else is doing it," is such plebeian justification for a bad contract.

DL messed up his rebuild, and had to turn to his friend off the farm, and lucking into Carter being unhappy in Columbus. If even one of those two things don't happen, they don't win in 2012, and DL is gone, because his rebuild was not working.

And what value has keeping Kopitar brought the Kings? Two playoff-less seasons and a first round sweep.

I don't dispute that a Kopitar trade in 2015 would have been absolutely shocking to the hockey world at large. I also agree it's probably unreasonable to expect any GM to make that decision.

But it was still the right thing to do.

It would've been the right thing to do. The right thing to do is also trading Quick in June 2012, not give him a 10 year contract.

Jason Arnott was a #1 C traded 2 years after leading the devils to a cup at around his 8th year in the league.

That's true. The Devils also ended up tied with the Kings in points that year. It sucks that the Kings weren't worse in 15-16, as that's the only chance there was to get rid of him. Although still unlikely, because Kopitar was a home grown guy, who went through all the bad times leading up to winning. He's a face of the franchise. Arnott was a Devil for 3 full seasons, and about half of two other ones in total. Again, emotional management on the part of the Kings.

Every decision made by a GM includes an opportunity cost. Most of the posts here went right back to ignoring that aspect of re-signing Kopitar to his 3rd contract, not trading Carter, etc.

As @bland pointed out, it was obvious to some the run was over in the summer of 2015, and this core as a whole would not make another run.

I think that is foresight, and if you are confident that was the case, then you can conceive some of the moves that were discussed.

Except DL. He went all in. We want the Kings to let go of the past, but we never do. There was zero chance Kopitar was being traded in the summer of 2015(DL made sure of that), and the team was too good(in the regular season) to trade him by the 2016 deadline.

what sucks is the Hawks have one more cup and are STILL in a better shape than the Kings...

this speaks more about the management we HAD and HAVE than the roster itself

That's true, and it started in 2006. DL did not do a good rebuild. His desperate move to get Richards was not working, which was on top of the Penner trade, which also wasn't working. It's amazing that they won with all the poor moves made between 2006 and 2011. The Kings were middle of the pack in 2012, and got stupidly hot for a while. That's why nothing DL built was sustainable.

You're assuming that to make it a better trade for the Kings. What if they don't get multiple other assets from Columbus? They ended up as the 4th worst team in the league in 15-16, after being in the bottom 10 in 14-15. Why would they give you other assets on top of Johansen, for an older soon to be UFA?

It's always amazing when people mention the SC's as some kind of justification when almost all the terrible moves and signings were made post SC.

Also funny how we use the SC's as justification for what happened between 2006 and 2011. Missing twice on Giroux. Missing on a #4 pick. Trading the best prospect in the league, a solid 23 year old, and two 1st rd picks before they ever got out of the 1st round. Fired two head coaches. Brought in a friend of the GM, who was literally on a farm, in a please save my job for me hire. This grand 5 year vision from DL, with all his boxes, had the Kings 13th overall in the year they were expected to win. That's not quality management, and it's only justified and rationalized because they found a way to eventually win. Almost like they won in spite of poor leadership at the top. Thankfully that roster was able to interfere with everyone defensively, because they lacked a lot of talent.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
@KingsFan7824

I don't know, hard to say it was flukey or undeserved when they won in 2012/2014 and lost in the WCF to a loaded Chicago team in 2013. I mean if Detroit doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead vs. Chicago in the 2nd round the Kings probably would have won in 2013. Now I know we start adding other factors in, like if 2013 happens do they still win in 2014. But either way, it was a very very good 3 year run.

Again, just gets irritating when people defend some of the nonsense that happened after (Richards, Lucic etc) by saying that it was the cost to pay for SC's when these moved happened after the cups.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
@KingsFan7824

I don't know, hard to say it was flukey or undeserved when they won in 2012/2014 and lost in the WCF to a loaded Chicago team in 2013. I mean if Detroit doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead vs. Chicago in the 2nd round the Kings probably would have won in 2013. Now I know we start adding other factors in, like if 2013 happens do they still win in 2014. But either way, it was a very very good 3 year run.

Again, just gets irritating when people defend some of the nonsense that happened after (Richards, Lucic etc) by saying that it was the cost to pay for SC's when these moved happened after the cups.

Certainly wouldn't say undeserved. The misses they had, and what they had to pay just to get out of the 1st round, fluke would be too strong a word, but it's surprising.

I agreed with the Richards deal at the time, and still do, but it was a complete risk by DL, and then it wasn't working. That Carter was available, and available for less than what Columbus paid for him, that was a good bounce of the puck for the Kings.

If they go out to the Sharks, Ducks, or even the Hawks, so many things after June 2014 are probably different. 14-15 ended as a mess. 15-16 was DL going for one last run, believing they still had 2014 in them, before Kopitar got the big contract. Since then, other than Cernak, they haven't done anything to hurt the future. I wouldn't count contracts for old guys, because we now know they can be a bottom 3-5 team, even with that money spent. As long as the picks stay, do whatever you want with the cap.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
One way Blake can make a power move in the summer is offer sheeting an RFA. Here are the compensation rules.

Obviously you don’t want to be giving up first round picks as a rebuilding team. But a 2nd rounder for the right player is an intriguing option.

I think there are some especially good candidates on defense out there on teams which could be vulnerable.

Ryan Murray, could get lost in the shuffle with all the free agents in Columbus
Ivan Provorov, has had a down year in Philly and they may be hesitant to match if the term is longer than 4 years
Marcus Pettersson, has played 68 games as a 23 yo and. Pittsburgh is up against the cap paying Jack Johnson
Scott Harrington, also on Columbus, could be signed low enough for a third round pick

I'd toss Andreas Johnsson (TOR) into that group. If you offer sheet him close to $4 million per, it would be tough for the Leafs to match. Good solid hockey player and should carve out a role as a top 6 forward.

I would have no problem relinquishing a 2nd round pick for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad