Confirmed with Link: Kim Pegula having health issues

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Regardless of what we may think of her and Terry and their ownership...........I think we can all wish her a speedy recovery to full health.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

Regardless of what we may think of her and Terry and their ownership...........I think we can all wish her a speedy recovery to full health.
Agreed - too many fans are conflating fandom with humanity right now and it's sad. Hopefully it's nothing serious and also something she can 100% come back from.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I just saw this, the way it was worded from Sabres.com sounded like Okposo level bad like they aren't sure if that person is gonna make it, touch and go situation 50/50 chance but keeping it very vague.

Hopefully she recovers and can see the Sabres put together a playoff run next year.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Sounds to me like they're heading off media interest. She's been improving over a few days, they say. So they're probably making sure this doesn't leak and become a speculative piece of media. Doesn't sound, to my ear, like life or death is in imminent question.

Good luck to her!

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sounds to me like they're heading off media interest. She's been improving over a few days, they say. So they're probably making sure this doesn't leak and become a speculative piece of media. Doesn't sound, to my ear, like life or death is in imminent question.

Good luck to her!
Yeah it does say there was progress, so hopefully they just figured they would get ahead of any rumors, and she's doing alright

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hopefully she has a speedy and complete recovery from whatever has cropped up for her.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Pretty slimy of this reporter but wow, she needs ICU care.

I mean it was bound to come out, you can call a hospital to ask if someone is there. It's not a violation of HIPPA unless they were to state the reason why she was there.

Literally anyone could do this. I could literally call right now, ask for Kim Pegula and the room number. They would tell me she isn't available to visit right now and she is in the ICU and it wouldn't be a violation.

Reading the Tweets of replies is literally cringy, especially when they think this tweet is a violation when it says absolutely nothing more than the statement put out by the Sabres Organization other than she is in the ICU.

Get mad at the organization for their statement which 'apparently violated her privacy' first.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I mean it was bound to come out, you can call a hospital to ask if someone is there. It's not a violation of HIPPA unless they were to state the reason why she was there.

Literally anyone could do this. I could literally call right now, ask for Kim Pegula and the room number. They would tell me she isn't available to visit right now and she is in the ICU and it wouldn't be a violation.

Reading the Tweets of replies is literally cringy, especially when they think this tweet is a violation when it says absolutely nothing more than the statement put out by the Sabres Organization other than she is in the ICU.

Get mad at the organization for their statement which 'apparently violated her privacy' first.
I never claimed it was illegal. Just because someone is well known still doesn’t make it right morally to air out information they were clearly trying to keep under wraps.

This reporter most likely looked up Pegula owned properties and called a bunch of different hospitals nearby to scrounge for information after the family asked for privacy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

As someone who is related to a lot of people that are employed in the medical industry, that is absolutely not the case.

My wife was unable to say she bumped into someone we both knew at work because of potential HIPAA privacy rules violations.

Also, our marriage counselor told us that if she were to see either of us out in public, she would act like she did not know us until we started a conversation due to HIPAA privacy rules.

Facility Directories. It is a common practice in many health care facilities, such as hospitals, to maintain a directory of patient contact information. A covered health care provider may rely on an individual’s informal permission to list in its facility directory the individual’s name, general condition, religious affiliation, and location in the provider’s facility.25 The provider may then disclose the individual’s condition and location in the facility to anyone asking for the individual by name, and also may disclose religious affiliation to clergy. Members of the clergy are not required to ask for the individual by name when inquiring about patient religious affiliation.

If Kim did not give at least informal permission, giving this information out is a HIPAA violation.

As is posting this information on social media.

People like to think that privacy laws do not apply to celebrities and public figures. But, that is not the case legally.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I never claimed it was illegal. Just because someone is well known still doesn’t make it right morally to air out information they were clearly trying to keep under wraps.

This reporter most likely looked up Pegula owned properties and called a bunch of different hospitals nearby to scrounge for information after the family asked for privacy.
I just don't see how that is invading her privacy when all she did was mention what is public information. To me she did her job as an journalist and investigated the situation. If it wasn't her, it would be someone else.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just don't see how that is invading her privacy when all she did was mention what is public information. To me she did her job as an journalist and investigated the situation. If it wasn't her, it would be someone else.
That someone is in the ICU at a specific hospital is absolutely not public information. See above.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
As someone who is related to a lot of people that are employed in the medical industry, that is absolutely not the case.

My wife was unable to say they bumped into someone we both knew at work because of potential HIPAA privacy rules violations.

If Kim did not give at least informal permission, giving this information out is a HIPAA violation.

As is posting this information on social media.
She never released any contact information but we will see if anything comes out of this then, I mean the article you are quoting even says

What Information is Protected

Protected Health Information.
The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12

“Individually identifiable health information” is information, including demographic data, that relates to:

• the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or condition,
  • the provision of health care to the individual, or
  • the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual,
and that identifies the individual or for which there is a reasonable basis to believe it can be used to identify the individual.13 Individually identifiable health information includes many common identifiers (e.g., name, address, birth date, Social Security Number).

The Privacy Rule excludes from protected health information employment records that a covered entity maintains in its capacity as an employer and education and certain other records subject to, or defined in, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. §1232g.

When Okposo was hospitalized they never gave out any protected information other than he was in the ICU, nothing happened then.

This is not some uncommon experience.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
She never released any contact information but we will see if anything comes out of this then, I mean the article you are quoting even says

When Okposo was hospitalized they never gave out any protected information other than he was in the ICU, nothing happened then.

This is not some uncommon experience.
Someone being in the ICU is absolutely private information that is covered under the HIPAA privacy rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad