Sewell NJ
I rank him higher than Pitkanen.

71GP 8G 19A 27P (R)
58GP 13G 33A 46P
77GP 4G 39A 43P

82GP 11G 30A 41P
82GP 10G 29A 39P
80GP 13G 29A 42P

Even if you do, they are still relatively in the same ballpark, but Pitkanen assuredly peaked higher.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Perfect second pairing dman. I always thought he could have been more aggressive offensively but he was definitely dependable and steady.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
He'll always be the saving grace of the lindros deal. Quality player but never the impact we needed. He wasn't here very long either. I really had high hopes for pavel brendl.

I often wonder how 2001-04 would have turned out if the Leafs had met Clarke's price for Lindros, and we ended up with Kaberle, Antropov, and a 1st. The 1st ended up being 17th overall (future Flyers superstar Carlo Colaiacovo!).

For that season, we'd have been looking at this:

C: Roenick, Antropov, Primeau, Manderville

LW: LeClair, Gagne, Dopita, Murray, Fedoruk

RW: Recchi, Fedotenko, Williams, Ranheim, Tocchet (retired midseason)

D: Desjardins, Kaberle, Weinrich, Therien, McGillis, Richardson, McAllister

G: Cechmanek, Boucher

That is a pretty good lineup. They might have made a deep run. Would especially have been interesting with Hitch coaching them, rather than Barber.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I often wonder how 2001-04 would have turned out if the Leafs had met Clarke's price for Lindros, and we ended up with Kaberle, Antropov, and a 1st. The 1st ended up being 17th overall (future Flyers superstar Carlo Colaiacovo!).

For that season, we'd have been looking at this:

C: Roenick, Antropov, Primeau, Manderville

LW: LeClair, Gagne, Dopita, Murray, Fedoruk

RW: Recchi, Fedotenko, Williams, Ranheim, Tocchet (retired midseason)

D: Desjardins, Kaberle, Weinrich, Therien, McGillis, Richardson, McAllister

G: Cechmanek, Boucher

That is a pretty good lineup. They might have made a deep run. Would especially have been interesting with Hitch coaching them, rather than Barber.

But we wouldnt have had Hlavac who we then turned into Brashear :)

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Ahhh yes

It doesnt look so bad then lol

As much as I love Kapanen, I would have loved a Cup before the lockout more. And with a young Antropov at center, we might not have had to make the panic move for Oates that year, either, so we'd have been set up better long-term, too. Still could have used another center, but we never lacked for spending on centers in the uncapped era.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As much as I love Kapanen, I would have loved a Cup before the lockout more. And with a young Antropov at center, we might not have had to make the panic move for Oates that year, either, so we'd have been set up better long-term, too. Still could have used another center, but we never lacked for spending on centers in the uncapped era.

I hear ya..but remember that we had to go through Toronto in both 2003 and 2004 and a Toronto team with Sundin-Lindros as their 1-2 punch may have titled the series' in their favor.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't he price himself off the Team with his Contract demand?... That and the general feeling that he was damaged goods... after what the Organization went through with Lindros and his concussion problems... Or am I remembering incorrectly?

EDIT: But, yeah... there were really no viable replacements in that time-frame for them.

He ended up with just more than what they were paying Rathje and Hatcher, so I don't think it was outrageous. At the time, Freddy Meyer and Randy Jones looked like they could be players, they rolled the dice and lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad