Kim Johnsson

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Just curious what you Flyers fans think about Kim Johnsson.

Is Kim Johnsson considered one of the best Flyers d-mans ever?

Did he not have great skills, size and some physicality?

Kim-Johnsson-laumlmnar-Flyers-foumlr-Wild.jpg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He was great for us... and personally was for a short time my favourite Flyer... but in regards to best Flyers Dmen:

Mark Howe
Eric Desjardins
Jim Watson
Joe Watson
Kimmo Timonen
Brad Marsh
Ed van Impe
Andre Dupont
Brad McCrimmon
Tom Bladon
Behn Wilson
Chris Pronger

Are all ahead of him for sure...

He is cusp top ~15 all time I would say.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'd rank him around the same spot I'd rank Joni Pitkanen in the Flyers all-time line-up. Wherever that is. Of guys that I have seen play, Pronger, Kimmo, Desjardins, are all clearly ahead, and then he's on a level with Pitkanen and Carle.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Johnsson would be much higher, but he only really had 3 full seasons for the Flyers. 05-06 he struggled with injuries and his battle with concussions started, which unfortunately, he never really recovered from. He was supposed to take over for Desjardins while Pitkanen was developing, which obviously never transpired. He was a real good player those 3 years he was here and healthy though.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He'll always be the saving grace of the lindros deal. Quality player but never the impact we needed. He wasn't here very long either. I really had high hopes for pavel brendl.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One of the best of the early 2000s and probably top 20 all time. Had he been able to have 5 great years instear of 3, he would likely be higher.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Best ever? Not even close.

Nothing against the guys, he was a very good dman, probably the best we had at the time. But I never saw him as a legitimate #1, much less and elite dman. Kimo, Howe and Rico were #1s, and among the best in the league (if not the best - Howe) for at least a good chunk of their time here.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd rank him around the same spot I'd rank Joni Pitkanen in the Flyers all-time line-up. Wherever that is. Of guys that I have seen play, Pronger, Kimmo, Desjardins, are all clearly ahead, and then he's on a level with Pitkanen and Carle.

I rank him higher than Pitkanen.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Didn't Johnsson play in the 04 playoffs with a broken hand? Man, that team got so beat up.

He was a really good player who would be better remembered if not for the concussions.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Haha, I was waiting for your opinion on all of this.

Not much else to say.

It was kind of weird, because I liked him even though he broke in with the Rangers, so I was really excited when we got him in the Lindros trade. Even now, I didn't realize he was only here for 4 years.

He got slowed down in Minnesota because Jacques Martin changed his role (to fit his archaic system), which went away from his strengths, or else would have continued being an excellent player. His departure was really a miscalculation of what his replacements were able to provide.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Not much else to say.

It was kind of weird, because I liked him even though he broke in with the Rangers, so I was really excited when we got him in the Lindros trade. Even now, I didn't realize he was only here for 4 years.

He got slowed down in Minnesota because Jacques Martin changed his role (to fit his archaic system), which went away from his strengths, or else would have continued being an excellent player. His departure was really a miscalculation of what his replacements were able to provide.

Didn't he price himself off the Team with his Contract demand?... That and the general feeling that he was damaged goods... after what the Organization went through with Lindros and his concussion problems... Or am I remembering incorrectly?

EDIT: But, yeah... there were really no viable replacements in that time-frame for them.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Didn't Johnsson play in the 04 playoffs with a broken hand? Man, that team got so beat up.

He was a really good player who would be better remembered if not for the concussions.

Yes, he broke it in the playoffs against the Devils at home, I was in the lower level because they double sold my seat and it happened right in front of me. If Rico doesn't get hurt or Clarke doesn't trade Our 7th d, they have won it that year

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He was really good at his peak. One of the most underrated Flyers blueliners of all-time for 3.5 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad