Movies: Killers Of The Flower Moon (DiCaprio, De Niro)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Scorsese clearly enjoys making movies with the same actors. He's made close to a dozen with De Niro and a half dozen with DiCaprio and has two more upcoming that star DiCaprio. What probably appealed to him about this one is that he could make it revolve around both. I doubt that he would've been interested if the focus were elsewhere. He seemingly enjoys the process of making movies with friends and isn't too concerned with pleasing anyone else (hence, long run times, for example). That's probably always been the case, but feels like even more the case in recent years... not that I blame him. He's 80, and if he wants to make 3.5-hour movies with his friends, he's earned the right, but I'm not as keen on watching them.
Alot of directors, especially big names with iconic styles tend to have people they often work with. Coppola worked a bunch with John Cazale (RIP), Robert Duvall, etc, Kurasawa's partnership with Mifune is iconic, Billy Wilder worked a bunch with Hitchcock with Jimmy Stewart, Nolan worked a bunch with Michael Cain, Tarantino/Samuel L and Uma, and Cillian Murphy, etc.

Scorsese has the people he's often used such as DiNiro, Pesci, Frank Vincent, Harvey Keitel, etc. But, I'm sure if you looked at a lot of directors people would call auteurs you would find similar overlap on who they cast.

Outside of maybe Kurosawa/Mifune, I would say Scorsese/De Niro is probably my favorite director/actor combo of all time, only others in the discussion are Leone/Eastwood (although weirdly my two favorite Leone films don't have Eastwood), Tarantino/Samuel L, and Hitchcock/Stewart.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Outside of maybe Kurosawa/Mifune, I would say Scorsese/De Niro is probably my favorite director/actor combo of all time, only others in the discussion are Leone/Eastwood (although weirdly my two favorite Leone films don't have Eastwood), Tarantino/Samuel L, and Hitchcock/Stewart.
Well... Raoul Ruiz and Melvil Poupaud is my favorite duo if you consider the films they made together. That being said, Poupaud was a terrible actor (and probably still is, but I haven't seen one of his films in a good number of years).

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I think it was his way of warding off the temptation and reminding himself that it isn't his Rachael. He may have also wanted to provoke Niander Wallace and malign his overconfidence in his omniscience.
I thought the same thing.

Allegedly DeNiro tired of Leo's improv style of acting.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1698084801569.png

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Alright so I finally saw this, obviously as mentioned Lily Gladstone stole the film. I definitely had a couple issues, namely
I was surprised they revealed Ernest's involvement like 25% in, really killed any suspense. Deniro says this guy is stopping us from getting money, guy dies, onto the next one. The other thing I didn't like was Mollie's non-chalant reaction to the fact her husband is a huge piece of shit. Ernest orchestrates the murder of her sister, knows a 2nd sister is going to be murdered and does nothing, and Mollie is seemingly ok with everything until he won't admit he poisoned her. Finally I just feel like Leo was just making this face the last hour :(. 7/10 for me.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
There was absolutely 0 reason why this movie couldn’t have been 40 minutes shorter, and I agree with the criticism of making it about the bad guys and how it’s not as interesting a story when you know who’s doing it. Furthermore as good as De Niro was, I think Hale being relative black/white evil character made the story less interesting. In a sensitive subject matter like this you can’t really make his character a “complex anti-hero” like in other Scorsese gangster movies. DiCaprio’s motivation didn’t make as much sense because you didn’t really feel how much he loves money, they just told you. Ultimately I think the story just works better from either FBI or Osage POV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad