Movies: Killers Of The Flower Moon (DiCaprio, De Niro)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'll see your Scorsese and Eastwood and raise you a 97 year old Sir David Attenborough.

bba512e0-1d45-11ed-bdbb-98bec23ad849

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Cool trailer, it didn’t reveal much but set a good tone. I’ll be seeing it for sure.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
My wife and I were going to book some tickets to see this over the weekend until we saw the 3.5 hour run time 😳. I read the book and it seemed like that only had enough story to sustain 200 of the 300 pages (or whatever it was). It does take place over a long period of time though, so maybe they couldn't convey the story adequately and take stuff out? It is just too long to see it when we thought we would. It will take more planning and motivation than we've got for tomorrow.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Went last night. I thought it was good, not great. You do feel the runtime at over 3 and a half hours.

DiCaprio, De Niro and Lily Gladstone were all fantastic. The story was interesting and a good reminder of how horribly treated indigenous people were and continue to be.

Most interesting was the interpretation of Ernest and his level of ignorance towards what was going on. Was he being controlled by his uncle or was he as guilty as all of them? Either way, they are horrible people and De Niro plays a sociopath murder as well as I have seen a long time.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'll see you Scorsese, Eastwood and Attenborough, and raise you Portuguese director Manuel de Oliveira who directed his last movie Gebo and the Shadow in 2013 at the age of 103. Two years earlier his penultimate movie The Strange Case of Angelica made my top movies of the year list.

Seeing KIllers this afternoon. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but we shall see.

• Wow
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mixed feelings. It's an important story, well acted, though oddly paced and unnecessarily long. But my main problem is why are we focusing on two of the scummiest protagonists in film history, both white guys, when we should be focusing on Molly and taking advantage of Lily Gladstone's wonderful performance.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Saw it tonight. Scorsese is probably my favorite director of all time (only others in the discussion are Leone and Kurosawa). I'd say how it was shot felt more like a Malick film. Well acted, and an important story, but I'm not sure it's one I'm gonna re-watch a lot. I left the Irishman more impressed, but that was more a Scorsese-style film.

I know a lot of people are tired of his style, but I will say props to Wes Anderson for keeping all his movies under like 2 hours. Seems Hollywood needs to justify big budgets by making every film 210 minutes or longer.

Mixed feelings. It's an important story, well acted, though oddly paced and unnecessarily long. But my main problem is why are we focusing on two of the scummiest protagonists in film history, both white guys, when we should be focusing on Molly and taking advantage of Lily Gladstone's wonderful performance.
I agree, I left most impressed by Lily Gladstone. But, I would say, many would say Scorsese's masterpiece is Raging Bull (while I enjoy Goodfellas more, on a cinematic level Raging Bull is hard to argue against, his 3 most iconic films were Raging Bull, Goodfellas and Taxi Driver), which focused on an incredibly unlikable protagonist.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
You missed Scorcese's strategy. We appreciate Molly/Lily even more because of her limited screen time.

Off topic. In Blade Runner 2049 Deckard says "Her eyes were green". They weren't green, they were brown. Why did he say this?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You missed Scorcese's strategy. We appreciate Molly/Lily even more because of her limited screen time.
Don't think so. Scorsese took the plight of the Osage, and made another gangster movie out of it. He did what he does best and is probably most comfortable doing. Besides, he almost never focuses on female characters. He has only done it twice in his entire career (Boxcar Bertha and Alice Doesn't Live Here Any More, the last of which came out in 1974). Among his 27 movies, he only has two more in which you could even say that women have close to equal billing with men (New York, New York and The Age of Innocence, neither considered among his best works). He's old and he relied on what worked before--gangsters--but I don't think it was a good fit for the story.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Off topic. In Blade Runner 2049 Deckard says "Her eyes were green". They weren't green, they were brown. Why did he say this?

I think it was his way of warding off the temptation and reminding himself that it isn't his Rachael.

He may have also wanted to provoke Niander Wallace and malign his overconfidence in his omniscience.

Reactions: Elvis P

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This movie missed the mark going all-in on the gangster angle.

It should be a story told by Osage natives or at least natives that can relate to the abuse they suffered. There are already enough movies about white scumbags but not enough about native Americans.

Reactions: kihei

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
This movie missed the mark going all-in on the gangster angle.

It should be a story told by Osage natives or at least natives that can relate to the abuse they suffered. There are already enough movies about white scumbags but not enough about native Americans.
that's interesting because some of the pre-release press was about how DiCaprio convinced Scorsese that the heart of the story was the Osage and that it wasn't about white men. I wonder what it looked like before that if this is the feedback of people coming out of the movie.

Reactions: kihei

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Scorsese clearly enjoys making movies with the same actors. He's made close to a dozen with De Niro and a half dozen with DiCaprio and has two more upcoming that star DiCaprio. What probably appealed to him about this one is that he could make it revolve around both. I doubt that he would've been interested if the focus were elsewhere. He seemingly enjoys the process of making movies with friends and isn't too concerned with pleasing anyone else (hence, long run times, for example). That's probably always been the case, but feels like even more the case in recent years... not that I blame him. He's 80, and if he wants to make 3.5-hour movies with his friends, he's earned the right, but I'm not as keen on watching them.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Scorsese clearly enjoys making movies with the same actors. He's made close to a dozen with De Niro and a half dozen with DiCaprio and has two more upcoming that star DiCaprio. What probably appealed to him about this one is that he could make it revolve around both. I doubt that he would've been interested if the focus were elsewhere. He seemingly enjoys the process of making movies with friends and isn't too concerned with pleasing anyone else (hence, long run times, for example). That's probably always been the case, but feels like even more the case in recent years... not that I blame him. He's 80, and if he wants to make 3.5-hour movies with his friends, he's earned the right, but I'm not as keen on watching them.
I think these are mostly reasonable suppositions. However, he did seem to make a big deal about how important this particular story was to him. My impression was that he seemed to take it as a personal responsibility to ensure people got to know about what happened to the Osage. So I think it was more than just an old man enjoying going to work with trusted friends and colleagues.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad