Pre-Game Talk: Killed in Kowtown

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Litteraly the only reason I'm going to force myself to watch this disaster is to see what Evander Kane does against the Flames. lol

Even if we somehow manage to win this I'm still going to be angry at this team for their "effort" against a bottom feeding Montreal team. Even now I'm about as salty as Dutch licorice after that one.
That game against montreal was absolutely unacceptable I agree. I know the Canadiens are playing well right now, but that was ridiculous….. we have played extremely well agaisnt Calgary but they are playing excellent hockey lately. Not expecting a win what so ever tonight.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
All that current space disappears the minute they are activated though. The minute both are activated, Edmonton needs to demote at least $2.7M worth of players unless someone else goes LTIR.
Yes this is true. But we could make a trade or move when the time comes. We might even have more LTIR space open up

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes this is true. But we could make a trade or move when the time comes. We might even have more LTIR space open up
That only matters if the player is out for the season though or until playoffs. As it stands right now with Kassian and Archibald we have to trade away players to add at the deadline, which increases costs quite a bit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Youd think that he will be retroactively added to it unless he starts playing next week
Okay but he will be coming back in the coming weeks which means we would need room for him. The whole "LTIR Loophole" only works if you have players that are missing from before the deadline till the start of playoffs. If not you screw yourself over.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That only matters if the player is out for the season though or until playoffs. As it stands right now with Kassian and Archibald we have to trade away players to add at the deadline, which increases costs quite a bit.
That's why it's not like them returning changes anything.

Just use the cap space you can. A deadline addition was always going to be either minimal cap impact or have cap space going the other way

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Youd think that he will be retroactively added to it unless he starts playing next week

It's only an option if they expect him to miss up to at least March 24th vs. San Jose (maybe the 22nd vs. Stars, not sure the specifics but that'd be Day 24). But then they'd need to demote a bunch of players once he's ready again.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That game against montreal was absolutely unacceptable I agree. I know the Canadiens are playing well right now, but that was ridiculous….. we have played extremely well agaisnt Calgary but they are playing excellent hockey lately. Not expecting a win what so ever tonight.

It doesn’t mean much now but with any of the other two NHL goalies in net it’s probably a win. Just need to play their best players

Reactions: tardigrade81

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure how they win this game. Mcdrai will have to go supernova and Kosk will need to be fantastic to have a chance. The last 2 losses have me very doubtful though.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Flames seem like a wayyyy better team but they only have 3 more wins than us. Bizarre. Imagine if we had a goalie.

Between the goalie losses and the GM losses (keeping Tippett well beyond his expiry date) I think that it isn't a stretch to say we are somewhere in the range of 8 points backwards of where we should be in the standings. That value is probably conservative, if anything.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Smith: "Coach I want another crack at it

Woodcroft: "Doctor says your sick, Mike"

Smith: "But I feel fine"

Woodcroft pulls out phone "hey, Stu, hop on a plane, I have a job for you"

Smith: "WTF I said Im not sick!!"

Woodcroft waiving over team doctor "hey doc, he's looking a lil hot, I think Smith is sick" nodding and winking

doctors grab Smith

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
expect the worst. If the Oilers exceed expectations, then you can be pleasantly surprised.
I’m expecting 5-1 or 6-1 but maybe they exceed expectations and it’s only 4-3. I’m not pleasantly surprised. Your logic is a bit flawed.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Stauffer tone sounds like even he is ready to give up.
Well look at the state of the team, injury riddled. Can't even make a trade even if there was a chance to make a trade. The tradeable assets are all hurt and zero cap space. You are forced to play a half rookie D squad, a bottom six that is over matched every game and a goalie that hopefully doesn't give up multiple muffins. Kosk has played well but is still prone to mental miscues but is 1000 times better than Smith. I don't blame Stauffer, I'd have a hard time polishing that turd as well.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hey, they actually just informated that Bouchard "Will be a game time decision vs calgary" Tonight. So that's a hard add on y'all :clap: Lets see what happens.

Reactions: Mez

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So after bashing us for years the Flames are basically a one line team.

Third line is okay but that 2nd line is something else (I’m sure they’ll score tonight)

They needed to get Eichel to be legit contenders. Centre depth will kill them in the playoffs. Of course, it won’t stop people from slobbering over them in the regular season (sounds familiar)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So after bashing us for years the Flames are basically a one line team.
Their other lines can actually defend us a big part. Top line does the heavy lifting offensively and chips in here and there. The rest don’t get scored on.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That forward corps doesn't exactly scream "Long playoff run".
Maybe. Analytically they do. They have 3 forwards in the lineup with below 50% xGF and even then the worst is at 48.3%. Contrary to us we only have 5 forwards above 50%.
They will go as far as Markstrom takes them honestly. That said Calgary is a team that has shown the ability to absolutely crumble in the playoffs so its going to be mostly on Markstroms shoulders.

That said Calgary does like to choke in the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Please stop sir, this is now the northern branch of Calgary Puck.

The Flames are the deepest team in the league
They aren't. They are the best 5v5 team in the west though.
1st% wise, 3rd offensively, 1st defensively.

They seem to struggle against the pacific which as long as they end up first in the division, probably means they have a chance to win the first round and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad