Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Kovar seems to be somewhat of a playmaker. Also he doesn't look like a guy that needs the puck on a tee to score. He can do it on his own.

It may be premature, but neither have played a game in the NHL, and please do not count these previous scrimmage games against invites and AHL rosters. It would be great if they all panned out, but maybe that is why Lou has so many signed forwards. Somebody has to stick and produce.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Every year that this franchise fails and is near the bottom, delays the the rebuilding of any respect or credibility around the league. This is compounded by the fact we now have LL @ Trots leading us. This team needs to show the league that the new leadership will make an immediate difference going forward.

Another bottom five finish, and trading productive players for future Stromes, Reinharts, Dalcoles is not a sure fire way to build credibility nor guarantees success.

I cannot believe LL at 75 is looking for a minimum 5-7 year rebuild through draft picks, nor Ledecky or Malkin accepting 9-11k attendance figures.

How is that working for Edmonton who was actually was able to aquire a generational player with McDavid and a pile of top 5 picks?

Before we gut this team, it may be wise to see what this youth core can actually do at a professional level.

The mindset to lose should never be accepted nor become a culture, for either the fans or especially players.
The Oilers tanked during some lean drafts. They also made some mistakes along the way. So far Lou has one draft under his belt. Do you consider it a winner and if not please explain why when the entire league says we had one of the top drafts out of everyone and we didn't even pick until 10 & 11.

Maybe you are stuck on the average draft concept. I would agree with you if that is what this was. This draft class is unique. If you don't understand why I say that you need to go spend some time reading up on the kids in this one. The top ten is loaded with high end talent and much of it is centers. Please do at least a little followup with scouting reports before replying if you have not yet.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So far Lou has one draft under his belt. Do you consider it a winner and if not please explain why when the entire league says we had one of the top drafts out of everyone and we didn't even pick until 10 & 11.
Because we were one of the few teams with 2 first round picks. And I certainly don't consider the draft a winner when we haven't even see the players we drafted play in the NHL. Talk to me in 5 years...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It may be premature, but neither have played a game in the NHL, and please do not count these previous scrimmage games against invites and AHL rosters. It would be great if they all panned out, but maybe that is why Lou has so many signed forwards. Somebody has to stick and produce.

When Snow was the GM he would sign guys and they would be key fixtures no matter what. When Lou signs guys and they aren't working he cuts bait and goes with something else. People on here are too concerned with the short term guys.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
When Snow was the GM he would sign guys and they would be key fixtures no matter what. When Lou signs guys and they aren't working he cuts bait and goes with something else. People on here are too concerned with the short term guys.
Did you see the contacts that stiffs like Komarov, Filppula, Kovar, and Martin have? If they "aren't working" how is Lou going to get rid of them? $10.25M cap hit just for those 4 players...

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
The Oilers tanked during some lean drafts. They also made some mistakes along the way. So far Lou has one draft under his belt. Do you consider it a winner and if not please explain why when the entire league says we had one of the top drafts out of everyone and we didn't even pick until 10 & 11.

Maybe you are stuck on the average draft concept. I would agree with you if that is what this was. This draft class is unique. If you don't understand why I say that you need to go spend some time reading up on the kids in this one. The top ten is loaded with high end talent and much of it is centers. Please do at least a little followup with scouting reports before replying if you have not yet.

I view scouting reports with more than a fair amount of skepticism as should you based on the history of 1st round draft picks, combine that with the lottery aspects as finishing last does not guarantee you a franchise changing player. What I was most concerned about with is continuing this bottom dwelling losing tradition and the effects that has on players and the teams reputation league wide. Personally I would not find it worth my money to witness a sh_t show in hopes we may acquire the next McDavid. If you think a team of young prospects will simply figure it out and flourish without solid vets then god bless.

This is a show me professional league, and until they are producing at the NHL level, the Islanders still have nothing more than hope. Nothing more.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
If Bellows makes the team he scores 20-25 this year.

I think Ladd starts the year on the IR and Bellows gets a look. Remember, I believe Ladd's NMC is up and is now only a NTC for 2 years and then a limited NTC for 3. So technically the Islanders can put Ladd on waivers and he could play in the AHL.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Did you see the contacts that stiffs like Komarov, Filppula, Kovar, and Martin have? If they "aren't working" how is Lou going to get rid of them? $10.25M cap hit just for those 4 players...

Filpula is 1 year and gone
Kovar either A)plays his way into a new contract or B)traded or not resigned
Martin has 2 years
Komarov will be around for the duration

and they still have 10 million in cap space this year. I'm not exactly concerned about these guys. The Ladd contract is the one that eats at me.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Filpula is 1 year and gone
Kovar either A)plays his way into a new contract or B)traded or not resigned
Martin has 2 years
Komarov will be around for the duration

and they still have 10 million in cap space this year. I'm not exactly concerned about these guys. The Ladd contract is the one that eats at me.
Oh I agree that these are short term problems but if these guys are healthy, they are playing on the Islanders this year. Even if they suck.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Oh I agree that these are short term problems but if these guys are healthy, they are playing on the Islanders this year. Even if they suck.

I think they'll start the year. If there are injuries or they flat out look bad I could see Bellows up here in a hurray(or even Ho-Sang).

Concerning Komarov. If there was a way to dump Clutterbuck I would love him with Martin and Cizikas.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I can listen to Trotz talk hockey all day, his vernacular is 3 times Cappys.

Bellows sounds like a good kid too. Making a strong case for himself. Biggest bright spot so far in camp.

He finds the soft spots in the D, he needs someone to find him. Not sure he’ll get that playing w Filppula and Komarov on the 3rd line.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It's going to be hard to not make room for Bellows on the roster if he keeps playing like this.

He's definitely earning his way onto the roster. I can see him getting sent down to start the season and then called up within the first 10 games once a spot opens up for him and then never letting it go. Anders followed the same track. Didn't hurt him too much.

I don't think any of us want him as a healthy scratch so if he needs to get some ice time in BP for a bit, that's OK.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Loving what I'm seeing so far, he's been as advertised. He's doing and saying all the right things too, comes across as a real humble and good kid. Has struck up a friendship with Dobson so that's a plus and hopefully birds flock together in the character sense. Obvious NHL DNA doesn't hurt.

Trotz pointed out that he shoots to score, not to just get it on net. He is a pure shooter, a Cy Young type as his assist totals will be low. He is a natural finisher, doesn't panic in traffic and is big/strong enough to consistently occupy that space. His release isn't Wahlstrom level, but it's excellent.

With Ladd on the shelf, the door is wide open for Bellows to start the season in the NHL.

Reactions: Quicklime

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Because we were one of the few teams with 2 first round picks. And I certainly don't consider the draft a winner when we haven't even see the players we drafted play in the NHL. Talk to me in 5 years...
You could say that about everyone’s draft then.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I view scouting reports with more than a fair amount of skepticism as should you based on the history of 1st round draft picks, combine that with the lottery aspects as finishing last does not guarantee you a franchise changing player. What I was most concerned about with is continuing this bottom dwelling losing tradition and the effects that has on players and the teams reputation league wide. Personally I would not find it worth my money to witness a sh_t show in hopes we may acquire the next McDavid. If you think a team of young prospects will simply figure it out and flourish without solid vets then god bless.

This is a show me professional league, and until they are producing at the NHL level, the Islanders still have nothing more than hope. Nothing more.
Did Toronto improve under him? How about NJ?

Can we give the guy a year to critique him or does he have to win the Cup by October to prove his value?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad